Quad Note Generator CV Note Output Merging

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
sp0002

20 Apr 2023

Hi all,

If I wire the Note CV output for lane one on the Quad Note Generator to a Spider CV Merger the LED on the front triggers. If I then add the Note CV output for lane two (to merge the signals so that the two pitches are combined) then the LEDs no longer trigger. Is it possible to merge two note on CV messages? I've tried with the notes triggering simultaneously (which I presume would make some garbage pitch information) and I've tried with the offset of lane two adjusted so that the pitch info doesn't send at the same time. Am I missing something fundamental with CV merging?

Thanks.

sp0002

20 Apr 2023

Thanks - I'll give it a try.

selig
RE Developer

20 Apr 2023

I still see LEDS with two lanes connected from QNG, fwiw.
What the Spider CV Merger actually does is summing, So if you “merge” two middle C3 (note 60) you get a note of 120 (five octaves above middle C).

One possible issue with the CV-Merge link above is you only get one gate - it assumes you’re playing chords. RPG-8 works similarly when sending MIDI chords over Reason CV, in that there is only one gate. For example, if you play a three note chord, then release one note it will not release!

So if you want to merge two tracks with different rhythm such as happens with the Quad Note Generator, you’ll only pass on the gate coming into the first input. So what options are there for this scenario?

One is to use the instrument below the Player to cover the two parts you want merged since they will be merged internally by default. Another is to use two QNGs set identically (one for each instrument to avoid having to merge at all).
The other solution is what I do, which is to use Poly CV and Love One’s excellent and useful MIDI-CV Convertor.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... converter/
In this case it’s functioning as a polyphonic merger. By putting it in front (above, actually) of the instrument you want to play, you can connect up to 8 sources of CV/Gate (traditional mono or the newer PolyCV) and they will all be converted and merged to play the attached instrument.

This handy player utility can also be used to create mono and polyphonic stacks/doubles so you can ‘layer’ instruments (or multiple combinators) all playing the same thing, adding octave offsets etc. to each instrument individually. Two of these Players are needed for that application, one for the source instrument and one for each destination (all set to PolyCV mode if applicable).

Basically this Player, along with PolyCV, allows Players to be interconnected more like if you had MIDI cables, including full splitting and merging functions.
Selig Audio, LLC

challism

20 Apr 2023

If you find yourself regularly using Players, you really need to get LoveOne MIDI CV Converter. It's one of the most simple yet powerful Player tools in the shop. I use it all the time. Another powerful tool is Static Cling Delta which could also do what you are wanting to do here.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

ljekio

20 Apr 2023

And free CVPT can perform some of these tasks.
but if we talk only about CV data, then this is MoPol and similar.

selig
RE Developer

20 Apr 2023

ljekio wrote:
20 Apr 2023
In the specific case the OP mentioned, CVPT should be able to handle the merging (since none of the sources are PolyCV) but not MoPol (for the reasons I mentioned earlier). .
Selig Audio, LLC

moalla

20 Apr 2023

Crazy 32€ for midi-cv converter, still got it for 1/3 of this costs, but it´s really usefull#

You mean CV playertab, still more basic
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... layer-tap/
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

challism

20 Apr 2023

moalla wrote:
20 Apr 2023
Crazy 32€ for midi-cv converter, still got it for 1/3 of this costs, but it´s really usefull#

You mean CV playertab, still more basic
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... layer-tap/
LoveOne MIDI CV Conv regularly goes on sale for $9 just about every major site-wide sale.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

sp0002

20 Apr 2023

Thanks for all the input there. Lots to think about. I'll give the other plugins a go. And thanks, Selig, for the lengthy info

My primary goal was to control the sustain of a note from the QNG, so I've been using Thor's KeyGate as a CV Source, and then the QNG as the CV Note. I then have a square LFO switching the KeyGate on and off, so the notes play when the LFO is on and stop when it turns off. It's not perfect yet as of course the notes just stack and if QNG triggers just before the end of the LFO on cycle then the note envelope truncates (which can be obscured a little by release and reverb). But it's getting there!

Thanks for the help. I can confirm the merging seems to be working with MoPol. If I split the gate out from Thor and pass the split cables into MoPol then recombine it works - I presume this means that each note CV has to also have the Gate CV.

ljekio

20 Apr 2023

selig wrote:
20 Apr 2023
ljekio wrote:
20 Apr 2023
In the specific case the OP mentioned, CVPT should be able to handle the merging (since none of the sources are PolyCV) but not MoPol (for the reasons I mentioned earlier). .
I didn't notice it. Why does he need PolyCV? We have been using undocumented polyphony for a long time to combine notes into chords, and it still works without PolyCV.
All of early poly-arps works such. Adding notes with not released gate.

selig
RE Developer

21 Apr 2023

ljekio wrote:
20 Apr 2023
selig wrote:
20 Apr 2023

I didn't notice it. Why does he need PolyCV? We have been using undocumented polyphony for a long time to combine notes into chords, and it still works without PolyCV.
All of early poly-arps works such. Adding notes with not released gate.
Simplest way to describe it has always been the example of playing a chord and releasing one note, or trying to release it since it won’t release. So as long as you play ‘block’ chords where all notes start and end at the same time, you would never notice any issue. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information