Dice Analog Synthesizer Rack Extension released

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Oenkenstein
RE Developer

18 Apr 2023

A 6 oscillator polyphonic synthesizer with a web based randomize function.
DiceFrontShop.png
DiceFrontShop.png (561.4 KiB) Viewed 3230 times
The Dice Analog Synthesizer:
  • Dice Analog Synthesizer is a Rack Extension for Reason 10.2 or higher. Dice Analog Synthesizer is a polyphonic synthesizer with a web based randomize function.
  • Dice Analog Synthesizer has 6 oscillators to generate sound without the use of samples. This device comes with a Sine, PWM (Pulse Width Modulation), Triangle, Sub, Noise and Saw oscillator
  • To alter the sound generated by each oscillator, the synthesizer is provided with tuning, volume and panning knobs. It has an amplitude envelope section with AHDSR faders, a filter section, a Bode frequency shifter and an oscillator output routing section.
  • Dice Analog Synthesizer also contains 3 sections to change the tuning of the oscillators: Pitch Wheel control, Bend and Glide. A Low Frequency Oscillator (LFO) is used to modulate the filters cutoff and the glide time.
  • Dice Analog Synthesizer has 3 effects: Delay, reverb and chorus.
  • The back panel of the Dice Analog Synthesizer has audio outputs for each oscillator, a main stereo output, 53 CV inputs and 2 CV outputs.
  • Dice Analog Synthesizer comes with 148 instrument patches. Dice Analog Synthesizer uses a web based form where the user can randomize patches, which can be loaded and altered in the Dice Analog Synthesizer.You can generate randomized .repatch files at www.oenkenstein.nl/dicerandomize.asp.
This device is for everyone who wants to:
  • Have a high quality analog synthesizer.
  • Make sounds or instruments for use in genres like ambient, synth wave, synth pop, house and techno.
  • likes a Bode frequency shifter.
  • Go modular as Dice Analog Synthesizer has CV in and CV out.
  • Wants to randomize synthesizer patches.
Dice Analog Synthesizer uses no samples to generate sounds. Please notice: Although Dice runs on Reason 10.2 or higher, 25 Combinator patches require Reason 12.

Introduction price until May, 31, 2023: Euro 28,00. Regular price: Euro 43,00.

Loque

18 Apr 2023

Nice! Gratulations on the release. The randomizer in the web is a nice extra bonus πŸ‘
Reason12, Win10

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

18 Apr 2023

Loque wrote: ↑
18 Apr 2023
Nice! Gratulations on the release. The randomizer in the web is a nice extra bonus πŸ‘
Yes, I am very happy with the release.

You went bonkers and provided a bunch of patches for the Rack Extension which makes Dice a true EDM Techno machine. The combinator v2 patches go along very well together and most of them are song starters.

Very, cool stuff and thanks a ton!

DaveyG

18 Apr 2023

Here is the shop link you probably should have included!

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

18 Apr 2023

DaveyG wrote: ↑
18 Apr 2023
Here is the shop link you probably should have included!

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/
Silly me.

Thank you for adding the link.

challism

19 Apr 2023

Dice looks great. Congratulations on the new release, Ed.

If you guys want a chance to win this synth, go check out the Song Challenge: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=7531383
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Popey
Competition Winner

20 Apr 2023

Liking this in the brief demo so far and as an added benefit I have gained new knowledge as I had no clue what a bode frequency shifter was.

pongasoft
RE Developer

20 Apr 2023

18 Apr 2023
What is a "randomizer in the web"?

Loque

20 Apr 2023

pongasoft wrote: ↑
20 Apr 2023
18 Apr 2023
You can create random patches via a web interface. Just check it out 🀘
Reason12, Win10

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

20 Apr 2023

pongasoft wrote: ↑
20 Apr 2023
18 Apr 2023
On the Oenkenstein website you can generate .repatch files with random values for Dice.
There are 3 different forms where you can set a minimum and maximum value for the randomisation process,
Once submitted, you can copy/paste the results into a new .repatch file created with a text editor or overwrite an existing one. After saving the patch, you can load it into Dice.

The form:
https://oenkenstein.nl/dicerandomize.asp

In the Dice Analog Synthesizer Operation Manual chapter 6.1 there is a more detailed explanation:
https://oenkenstein.nl/uploadmap/Dice%2 ... Manual.pdf

geronimo

21 Apr 2023

I tried the Random function and here is the result: the generated Patch does not make any changes !

First Random.repatch.zip
(2.3 KiB) Downloaded 118 times

Otherwise, good job for the Combinators.
Last edited by geronimo on 21 Apr 2023, edited 1 time in total.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

21 Apr 2023

Random is good :D
Randomise early, randomise often :)

FYI - You could actually have the random patching be onboard the device with a custom display. In this case I'd recommend setting up a 2nd page and then having all the max/min ranges there in a display, and just keep a simple trigger on the main page.

Cheers,
Brian

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

21 Apr 2023

geronimo wrote: ↑
21 Apr 2023
I tried the Random function and here is the result: the generated Patch does not make any changes !

First Random.repatch.zip

Otherwise, good job for the Combinators.
Aha! Just found out that you need to remove the space in the first sentence of the generated XML .repatch file. Then it will work.
SpaceInGeneratedXML.jpg
SpaceInGeneratedXML.jpg (46.62 KiB) Viewed 2581 times
I will update the Operation Manual as the copy / paste method always gives that extra unusuable space at the beginning when the user selects all the text in one go instead of selecting the text from the beginning of the file.

Thanks for reporting this issue.
Last edited by Oenkenstein on 21 Apr 2023, edited 1 time in total.

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

21 Apr 2023

Enlightenspeed wrote: ↑
21 Apr 2023
Random is good :D
Randomise early, randomise often :)

FYI - You could actually have the random patching be onboard the device with a custom display. In this case I'd recommend setting up a 2nd page and then having all the max/min ranges there in a display, and just keep a simple trigger on the main page.

Cheers,
Brian
Thanks for the information. Perhaps my next Rack Extension will have custom displays.

I have chosen to do the randomisation process apart from the device as this online randomisation method could work for all Reason devices ever made. I am thinking about building a website dedicated to randomize patches for any Reason device. It might include an instrument based randomisation process. "Hey buddy, gimme randomized bas patches for my favourite Rack Extension." That is the idea.

jam-s

21 Apr 2023

As a suggestion for the web based patch generator: You could also create the repatch files as actual files on the server and then possibly directly generate a bunch of them zip them up and offer that zip file for download. That would make the process much more streamlined for the user (similar to how it is done for the DX7 on this stylish page using sysex files).

Of course adding the functionality directly to the RE (like suggested by Enlightenspeed) would be best imho as my main gripe with web based converters is that those are here to day and could be perpetually improved, but on the other hand they might simply be gone without a trace the very next day as well.

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

21 Apr 2023

jam-s wrote: ↑
21 Apr 2023
As a suggestion for the web based patch generator: You could also create the repatch files as actual files on the server and then possibly directly generate a bunch of them zip them up and offer that zip file for download. That would make the process much more streamlined for the user (similar to how it is done for the DX7 on this stylish page using sysex files).
Offering .zip files was also suggested during the beta testing phase. However, I'm concerned that management of the website is difficult for me to keep track of if files are submitted for upload, especially if .zip files are requested but not downloaded, or if the compression process goes wrong.
But now that you are the second with this suggestion, I am going to investigate whether a fully automated upload process is possible.

jam-s wrote: ↑
21 Apr 2023
Of course adding the functionality directly to the RE (like suggested by Enlightenspeed) would be best imho as my main gripe with web based converters is that those are here to day and could be perpetually improved, but on the other hand they might simply be gone without a trace the very next day as well.
I understand. You buy a product, but half of its functionality may disappear because it's not included in the Reason ecosystem.

I think this is the decisive factor to get started with custom displays. That will be a new challenge, because an update would be my first Rack Extension that uses custom displays and tracking of real time controllers.

geronimo

21 Apr 2023

Oenkenstein wrote: ↑
21 Apr 2023

Aha! Just found out that you need to remove the space in the first sentence of the generated XML .repatch file. Then it will work.
Many thanks; now, it's work fine . :thumbup:

I had not seen the back of the instrument and the separate outputs for each sound module; I really appreciate it because I was thinking about it.
And there it is !

ADiceVerso2.jpg
ADiceVerso2.jpg (641.54 KiB) Viewed 2515 times

Loque

21 Apr 2023

21 Apr 2023
21 Apr 2023

Many thanks; now, it's work fine . :thumbup:

I had not seen the back of the instrument and the separate outputs for each sound module; I really appreciate it because I was thinking about it.
And there it is !

ADiceVerso2.jpg
Idd, there is much going on on the backside :clap: :thumbup:
Reason12, Win10

geronimo

21 Apr 2023

And up front as well, regarding this situation.

AEnAvant.jpg
AEnAvant.jpg (177.68 KiB) Viewed 2507 times

geronimo

22 Apr 2023

Shouldn't the center position instead indicate the value of 0 for the pan settings ?

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

22 Apr 2023

22 Apr 2023
Shouldn't the center position instead indicate the value of 0 for the pan settings ?
Yes, it should. Rumble K2 Builder has a pan knob ranging from -50 to + 50 and the default is set to 0, the middle position. However, when you automate the panning on the K2 Builder, you will notice that the automation is stepped.

So, I decided to make a pan knob in Dice which automation is not stepped but linear, so you can draw curves in the automation lane. Also, the range from 0 to 100 makes the randomation process for the pan knob a bit easier.

buddard
RE Developer

24 Apr 2023

22 Apr 2023
22 Apr 2023
Yes, it should. Rumble K2 Builder has a pan knob ranging from -50 to + 50 and the default is set to 0, the middle position. However, when you automate the panning on the K2 Builder, you will notice that the automation is stepped.

So, I decided to make a pan knob in Dice which automation is not stepped but linear, so you can draw curves in the automation lane. Also, the range from 0 to 100 makes the randomation process for the pan knob a bit easier.
It is not necessary to use stepped properties to get bipolar values.
Here's an example of setting the range from -100.0 to 100.0 in motherboard_def.lua

Code: Select all

function decimal_bipolar(template_string)
    local template = template_string or "template None"
    return jbox.ui_linear ({
        min = -100,
        max = 100,
	units = {
            {
                min_value = 0,
                decimals = 2,
                unit = {
                    template = jbox.ui_text(template),
                }
            },
            {
                min_value = 10,
                decimals = 1,
            },
            {
                min_value = 100,
                decimals = 0,
            },
        }})
end
And used in the property definition like this:

pan = jbox.number {
        default = 0.5,
        ui_name = jbox.ui_text("propertyname Pan"),
        ui_type = decimal_bipolar(),
    },
And in texts.lua, you have to add the following entry:

["template None"] = "^0"
Robotic Bean

Β Β 

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

24 Apr 2023

buddard wrote: ↑
24 Apr 2023
22 Apr 2023

Here's an example of setting the range from -100.0 to 100.0 in motherboard_def.lua
Now that is really helpfull.

Thanks a ton!

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

28 Apr 2023

buddard wrote: ↑
24 Apr 2023
22 Apr 2023

I came with a solution which uses my own bipolar linear thingy:

'Declare a property with a scale from -100 to 100 in steps of 1 and the default is set to 0:

prop_linear Channel_1_Pan(-100, 100, 1) = 0

on Channel_1_Pan
	if Channel_1_Pan < -1 'When a negative value is set
		'Invert the negative value into positive, divide it by 2 and then calculate the correct value when 500000 is center panning.
		'Plus calculate the incoming CV:
		set_module_param(M_GROUP+0, 0, 0, 4, 500000 - (10000 * (Channel_1_Pan * -1))/2) + 79 * CC[CHANNEL_1_PAN_CV]
	else
		'Calculation when a positive value is set:
		set_module_param(M_GROUP+0, 0, 0, 4, 500000 + (10000 * Channel_1_Pan)/2) + 79 * CC[CHANNEL_1_PAN_CV]
	end if
end on
Thanks again!

buddard
RE Developer

29 Apr 2023

28 Apr 2023
I came with a solution which uses my own bipolar linear thingy
Very cool! :thumbs_up:
Robotic Bean

Β Β