MIX88 Stereo 8x8 Matrix Mixer available in reason Shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Murf
RE Developer

13 Apr 2023

Hi All,
I have released MIX88 and it is available on the reason shop.
front_store.png
front_store.png (729.6 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ion/mix88/
Murf.

Mattvank

14 Apr 2023

What can i do with something like that?

jam-s

14 Apr 2023

You can mix up to 8 audio sources into up to 8 different mixdowns which can be very useful in case you want to have different monitor outs for a band for example.

marcuswitt

14 Apr 2023

Hi Murf,

great and practical product you've created and released with MIX88. I'm going to use it mainly as an 'extended AUX send' device. Thanks for the release!
But with regards to the GUI I'd like to voice my opinion, though: I personally find it suboptimal to have the fader caps in a light colour because I find them difficult to be caught by the eye in front of a bright background. Isn't a stronger contrast between the fader caps and the rest of MIX88's a better option? Other than that I have nothing to complain about. ;)

Murf wrote:
13 Apr 2023
Hi All,
I have released MIX88 and it is available on the reason shop.
front_store.png
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ion/mix88/
Murf.

Murf
RE Developer

14 Apr 2023

marcuswitt wrote:
14 Apr 2023
Hi Murf,

great and practical product you've created and released with MIX88. I'm going to use it mainly as an 'extended AUX send' device. Thanks for the release!
But with regards to the GUI I'd like to voice my opinion, though: I personally find it suboptimal to have the fader caps in a light colour because I find them difficult to be caught by the eye in front of a bright background. Isn't a stronger contrast between the fader caps and the rest of MIX88's a better option? Other than that I have nothing to complain about. ;)
Thanks for the feedback! I will tweak the colour and border of the slider. Not sure when it will be published though, will need some bug fixes as well to warrant it I think.
Muirf

moalla

14 Apr 2023

Looks promising, together with your latest and next releases this is well designed control center for modular needs ;)
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

Murf
RE Developer

14 Apr 2023

moalla wrote:
14 Apr 2023
Looks promising, together with your latest and next releases this is well designed control center for modular needs ;)
Thanks Moalla, truth be told I never really planned on it being useful for the MODRACK range.
I will soon release a free basic 8x8 matrix mixer for that as well, I just need to make it stereo as it is only mono right now.
(it wont be anything like MIX88, just a basic 8x8 grid of knobs)
Murf

Mmj85

14 Apr 2023

Thank you Murf, love the mixing options on the Mix88 and bought it to show support :)

I have a request; can we get a Mix44 in the future? Reason why is because I understand u wanted to pay homage to the Midas layout but having 8ch forced the layout to be scaled down to a 4U UI making the parameters very small and hard to see compared to other devices.

Now I know the zoom function is available in reason but if u can fit a 4by4 version in a 5 or 6 units scale UI, it would look alot nicer in the Reason Rack along side other devices. I would also buy it in a heart beat! :)

Murf
RE Developer

14 Apr 2023

Mmj85 wrote:
14 Apr 2023
Thank you Murf, love the mixing options on the Mix88 and bought it to show support :)

I have a request; can we get a Mix44 in the future? Reason why is because I understand u wanted to pay homage to the Midas layout but having 8ch forced the layout to be scaled down to a 4U UI making the parameters very small and hard to see compared to other devices.

Now I know the zoom function is available in reason but if u can fit a 4by4 version in a 5 or 6 units scale UI, it would look alot nicer in the Reason Rack along side other devices. I would also buy it in a heart beat! :)
Thanks so much for the support!

I am happy to do a 4x4 but would you prefer a free MODRACK one with limited features, or one the same as MIX88 but only 4x4?
If the latter, I am still toying with the idea of a different style of MIX88 that has a lot of extra features, but as you said the UI is already packed, maybe a 4x4 would be better in this case, or a 6x6?
Murf.

Mmj85

15 Apr 2023

Murf wrote:
14 Apr 2023
Mmj85 wrote:
14 Apr 2023

I am happy to do a 4x4 but would you prefer a free MODRACK one with limited features, or one the same as MIX88 but only 4x4?
If the latter, I am still toying with the idea of a different style of MIX88 that has a lot of extra features, but as you said the UI is already packed, maybe a 4x4 would be better in this case, or a 6x6?
Murf.
4×4 like the Mix88 with Xtra feat would be awesome Murf! 6×6 would be great too, it all depends on on how the UI scales in the rack at the end. Hmm any clues u can give us about future features u may add? ;)

Mmj85

15 Apr 2023

Mmj85 wrote:
15 Apr 2023
Murf wrote:
14 Apr 2023

Murf.
4×4 like the Mix88 with Xtra feat would be awesome Murf! 6×6 would be great too, it all depends on on how the UI scales in the rack at the end. Hmm any clues u can give us about future features u may add? Panning perhaps? ;)

Murf
RE Developer

15 Apr 2023

Mmj85 wrote:
15 Apr 2023
Murf wrote:
14 Apr 2023

4×4 like the Mix88 with Xtra feat would be awesome Murf! 6×6 would be great too, it all depends on on how the UI scales in the rack at the end. Hmm any clues u can give us about future features u may add? ;)
I am open to suggestion :)

Mmj85

16 Apr 2023

Murf wrote:
15 Apr 2023
Mmj85 wrote:
15 Apr 2023

I am open to suggestion :)
I can see MIX88 has some application within reason that need to be explored, I wonder how many creative setups within reason cabling can be achieved. After some ideas I am sure u will find more feature to add. This is where these kinds of devices strive only in Reason!
Was never fortunite to own the Midas XL88, can anyone share creative setups perhaps?
Last edited by Mmj85 on 16 Apr 2023, edited 1 time in total.

Re8et
Competition Winner

16 Apr 2023

I was playing a groove with the 6ch mixer from Ekks, and I was thinking, how cool are alternative mixers in RSN, just to pop out here on the forum and seeing this!
Oh Glory Lord Murf thank you!!
I-d try a more uniform palette, or possibly add labels at the bottom of each ch?? Idk, beautiful nonetheless!!

Mmj85

16 Apr 2023

Mmj85 wrote:
16 Apr 2023
Murf wrote:
15 Apr 2023

So after playing with the Mix88 at first glance i thought it was a mixer with a way to make channels speak with each other like crosstalk and also to feed FX to each other but i dont think this is the case :)

I can see MIX88 has some application within reason that need to be explored, I wonder how many creative setups within Reason cabling can be achieved. After some ideas I am sure u will find more feature to add. This is where these kinds of devices strive only in Reason!
Was never fortunite to own the Midas XL88, can anyone share creative setups with the Mix88?
Last edited by Mmj85 on 16 Apr 2023, edited 1 time in total.

Murf
RE Developer

16 Apr 2023

Re8et wrote:
16 Apr 2023
I was playing a groove with the 6ch mixer from Ekks, and I was thinking, how cool are alternative mixers in RSN, just to pop out here on the forum and seeing this!
I-d try a more uniform palette, or possibly add labels at the bottom of each ch?? Idk, beautiful nonetheless!!
Thanks for the suggestions, I wont be changing the UI of MIX88 because it is a hardware emulation but I will certainly consider these suggestions for a spin-off!
Murf.

Mmj85

16 Apr 2023

Murf wrote:
16 Apr 2023
Re8et wrote:
16 Apr 2023
Thanks for the suggestions, I wont be changing the UI of MIX88 because it is a hardware emulation but I will certainly consider these suggestions for a spin-off!
Murf.
Of course :) I spin off would be great, I am a sucker for mixers :)

Lov2sing

16 Apr 2023

My question is does any mixer bypass the SSL mixer? If it does not then my second question: what would be the purpose other than sound design or combining instruments and effects? Why I ask, we have VST’s that are channel strips which I do not believe removes the RS Main mixer. So in this new mixer what is its function beyond the RS mixer?
We make music for a reason

crimsonwarlock

17 Apr 2023

Lov2sing wrote:
16 Apr 2023
My question is does any mixer bypass the SSL mixer?
You can perfectly cable anything in the rack directly to the outputs of your audio interface, bypassing the main mixer.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Murf
RE Developer

17 Apr 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
17 Apr 2023
Lov2sing wrote:
16 Apr 2023
My question is does any mixer bypass the SSL mixer?
You can perfectly cable anything in the rack directly to the outputs of your audio interface, bypassing the main mixer.
Yes, and the 14:2 Mixer in Utilities is what was used before Reason added the SSL Main Mixer.

selig
RE Developer

17 Apr 2023

Lov2sing wrote:
16 Apr 2023
My question is does any mixer bypass the SSL mixer? If it does not then my second question: what would be the purpose other than sound design or combining instruments and effects? Why I ask, we have VST’s that are channel strips which I do not believe removes the RS Main mixer. So in this new mixer what is its function beyond the RS mixer?
It’s important to recognize that the “SSL Mixer” in Reason doesn’t contribute to the sound in any way as long as EQ/Dyn/Filter are all bypassed. So simply bypassing the EQ/Dynamics and any added inserts gives you the same thing as using cabling to route ‘around’ the SSL.

So if you use a channel strip in the insert of the SSL you can hear 100% of the channel strips effect and 0% of the “SSL” by simply bypassing the EQ/Dyn section.
Selig Audio, LLC

Lov2sing

17 Apr 2023

selig wrote:
17 Apr 2023
Lov2sing wrote:
16 Apr 2023
It’s important to recognize that the “SSL Mixer” in Reason doesn’t contribute to the sound in any way as long as EQ/Dyn/Filter are all bypassed. So simply bypassing the EQ/Dynamics and any added inserts gives you the same thing as using cabling to route ‘around’ the SSL.

So if you use a channel strip in the insert of the SSL you can hear 100% of the channel strips effect and 0% of the “SSL” by simply bypassing the EQ/Dyn section.
Thanks you. I always thought the main mixer was always activated. So in truth if one has the CPU power then the main mixer could be any mixer through channel strips. Wow I never knew that.

selig
RE Developer

17 Apr 2023

Lov2sing wrote:
17 Apr 2023
selig wrote:
17 Apr 2023

Thanks you. I always thought the main mixer was always activated. So in truth if one has the CPU power then the main mixer could be any mixer through channel strips. Wow I never knew that.
“Activated” yes, affecting/changing the sound in any way (assuming all FX are bypassed), no. In a digital system you CAN have pure clean signal paths (and gain stages) that add no noise or distortion in any way. That is the how the SSL mixer works in Reason, and as far as i’m aware of the EQ and Dynamics etc. are also ‘clean’ adding no color (saturation etc) of their own.
Selig Audio, LLC

Lov2sing

17 Apr 2023

selig wrote:
17 Apr 2023
Lov2sing wrote:
17 Apr 2023

“Activated” yes, affecting/changing the sound in any way (assuming all FX are bypassed), no. In a digital system you CAN have pure clean signal paths (and gain stages) that add no noise or distortion in any way. That is the how the SSL mixer works in Reason, and as far as i’m aware of the EQ and Dynamics etc. are also ‘clean’ adding no color (saturation etc) of their own.
That is what I like Reason it is so flexible. Thanks for the information. Off topic have you ever thought about writing or doing a video series on Reason. I would purchase it.

Murf
RE Developer

16 May 2023

Hi all, I have published a free update for MIX88 that has added a patch browser.
Enjoy.
Murf.

• Information