PX1 Dual FM Synth in the shop: New DX7/DX1 emulation, PX7 alternative

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
arnigretar

31 Mar 2023

I have seen those knobs before. Maybe in a ReBirth Mod? But I have PX7 so I will make a pass - but glad to see it's up there again in some form for others to enjoy :)
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

crimsonwarlock

31 Mar 2023

Loque wrote:
31 Mar 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
31 Mar 2023

So, you won't have any problem dropping a few links here about what you have found?
viewtopic.php?p=635593#p635593
I did look at his page, AND his resume. There is a mention of him working with RS in the past, but no reference to PX7 or even the fact he had anything to do with any rack extension in the past. Funny enough, his resume doesn't even mention DSP programming, it is all about databases and (mostly) email.

I could do a RE like this, as the Dexed source code is Open-Source and would probably be easy (for a seasoned developer) to port to the RE platform. It looks a lot like PX7, but the graphics for the controls are obviously different. I also find the inclusion of an Open-Source reverb algorithm a bit curious. If he is the original dev for PX7 and this has to do with some contractual stuff, being able to release this now would include the approved use of the original graphics. The layout of PX1 is certainly a quality step below PX7.

It is very well possible that he did PX7, but I didn't see or find anything pointing to that. So, still looking forward to that link where it is said that he was involved with PX7 :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2023

Still Dexed here and about a million free .sys files.
Don’t like DX7s anyway. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

31 Mar 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
31 Mar 2023
I did look at his page, AND his resume. There is a mention of him working with RS in the past, but no reference to PX7 or even the fact he had anything to do with any rack extension in the past. Funny enough, his resume doesn't even mention DSP programming, it is all about databases and (mostly) email.

I could do a RE like this, as the Dexed source code is Open-Source and would probably be easy (for a seasoned developer) to port to the RE platform. It looks a lot like PX7, but the graphics for the controls are obviously different. I also find the inclusion of an Open-Source reverb algorithm a bit curious. If he is the original dev for PX7 and this has to do with some contractual stuff, being able to release this now would include the approved use of the original graphics. The layout of PX1 is certainly a quality step below PX7.

It is very well possible that he did PX7, but I didn't see or find anything pointing to that. So, still looking forward to that link where it is said that he was involved with PX7 :puf_wink:
RS kept the dev of PX7 in secrete, so everything around this is speculation. Maybe there are some hints and and signs, like the similarity to PX7, he "worked" at PH and maybe more...

Nothing wrong with including OSS. A lot of devs do this and also there are RE using OSS or Open Source wavetables. There are also quite strange examples of OSS inclusions, where they sell a expensive product, which is completely based on OSS like Red Rocks C1-L1 which is in fact Molot Compressor.

If you could do a OSS to RE port easily, i highly would appreciate you doing this, since there are quite good OSS FX and synths out there, but they are not available as RE. Looking forward to your releases :clap: :thumbs_up:
Reason12, Win10

crimsonwarlock

31 Mar 2023

Loque wrote:
31 Mar 2023
RS kept the dev of PX7 in secrete, so everything around this is speculation.
That is exactly what I was pointing at.
Loque wrote:
31 Mar 2023
If you could do a OSS to RE port easily, i highly would appreciate you doing this, since there are quite good OSS FX and synths out there, but they are not available as RE. Looking forward to your releases :clap: :thumbs_up:
I'm not doing RE development, or any DSP stuff for that matter, although I've been tempted to do it all the time. I'm working full time in cognitive architecture development (very different from the current AI hype), so I'm knee-deep in code already on a daily basis.

There's even a Full Bucket synth I'm very much involved in the development, but he does the coding as I don't have the time to go there... and because he is extremely talented in DSP coding :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Loque

31 Mar 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
31 Mar 2023
Loque wrote:
31 Mar 2023
RS kept the dev of PX7 in secrete, so everything around this is speculation.
That is exactly what I was pointing at.
Loque wrote:
31 Mar 2023
I'm not doing RE development, or any DSP stuff for that matter, although I've been tempted to do it all the time. I'm working full time in cognitive architecture development (very different from the current AI hype), so I'm knee-deep in code already on a daily basis.

There's even a Full Bucket synth I'm very much involved in the development, but he does the coding as I don't have the time to go there... and because he is extremely talented in DSP coding :puf_wink:
Oh, so no RE releases from you of OSS soon :? :cry:
pandas-cute.gif
pandas-cute.gif (925.87 KiB) Viewed 6317 times
Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

31 Mar 2023

It seems likely this is PX7, but there's no confirmation. PX7 was always a bit of a gammy synth to program, (but easier than a DX7!) and I expect most of us who got it mainly used it as a preset player for Kosh's 30k collection: https://koshdukaimusicreason.blogspot.c ... o-30k.html

These days I'd reach for NI's FM8, Primal's FM4 RE, or Ableton's Operator if I just wanted to mess around with some FM synthesis.

MuttReason

31 Mar 2023

NoisiaTHX wrote:
30 Mar 2023
PXFront.pngPXBack.png
Well that’s more than a passing resemblance!! Either a serious act of homage to the original or an actual update to the original. Either way, this could be my next purchase although I wish the original UI had also been used instead of the black and gold (not a fan).

mcatalao
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2023

TBH, it's great to see this on the store.
I often directed people to PX7 when they talked about FM, despite using Algorithm moroe for new stuff, and now i can "send them" to PX1.

This poses some questions though...

1 - I like the looks of this. Can we have a crossgrade to PX1? I understand it is a dual PX7 but again, looks matter.

2 - Can this read PX7 patches, will the PX7 refills be relevant to PX1 (specially nucleus soundlab and Navi Retlav's stuff, sound really nice and would be great to still be usable for people who get px1 now)??

3 - If 2 is true, if we have PX1 and PX7 installed, and open a PX7 patch, what will open this, PX1 or PX7?

4 - Are there any interactions between the 2 processors, that a dual combi with 2 PX7 couldn't do?

Cheers,
MC

crimsonwarlock

31 Mar 2023

mcatalao wrote:
31 Mar 2023
4 - Are there any interactions between the 2 processors, that a dual combi with 2 PX7 couldn't do?
The real DX1 can split the two engines across the keyboard. As far as I can see, this PX1 does not have that function, so you'll need a combinator anyway to do that. I don't see anything that you couldn't do with two PX7s, at least so far.

As I used to plug a stereo chorus after my DX7, I tend to do that with PX7 as well, and the only way to save those combined patches is, again, a combinator. So far I don't see any reason for me to get this in addition to PX7. I don't like the colors either, but that could be because the PX7 layout reminds me more of a real DX7.

But it is obviously great to have a DX7 emulator available again as a RE. If I didn't have PX7, I would have bought this the minute it came available in the shop :thumbup:
-------

NoisiaTHX

31 Mar 2023

No PX7 patches can be opened with the PX1.

jam-s

31 Mar 2023

NoisiaTHX wrote:
31 Mar 2023
As they are very similar, I suppose it would be possible to write a converter script for the repatch files between those two REs.

joeyluck

31 Mar 2023

The copy/paste feature (to build dual-engine patches) takes some getting used to. As much as I enjoy having everything streamlined into one interface and enjoy the dual-engine presets, building them isn't as intuitive and informative as just using two devices. Which of course, you can still do with this just using a device per single engine.

It would be cool if it were possible to simply load sysex files into each engine, rather than needing to load presets, copy one, navigate to another and then paste it... Maybe a RE SDK update could allow for that?

It would also be nice if it displayed patch names per engine and showed you the name of the patch copied in the clipboard. I think that's why I would gravitate towards the workflow of using two instances of PX1—so I can see what DX7 patches I have loaded per engine.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
31 Mar 2023

The real DX1 can split the two engines across the keyboard. As far as I can see, this PX1 does not have that function, so you'll need a combinator anyway to do that. I don't see anything that you couldn't do with two PX7s, at least so far.
So in reality, a couple of more PX7's in a combi do more than 1 px1. Oh well... :/

mcatalao
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2023

jam-s wrote:
31 Mar 2023
NoisiaTHX wrote:
31 Mar 2023
As they are very similar, I suppose it would be possible to write a converter script for the repatch files between those two REs.
I gave some thought to this.
Re patches are actually xml like files, so you probably have the exact same implementation but the device description is different and the 2 engine sound parameters are probably "encapsulated" in some form. There might be an easy way to do this. I might just try this in the weekend just for kicks... :)

reasonosaer

31 Mar 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
30 Mar 2023
dioxide wrote:
30 Mar 2023
From what I can see it looks to be the same developer that made the PX7.
Just because it closely resembles PX7 doesn't mean it is the same developer.
MarkTarlton wrote:
30 Mar 2023
I wonder what changed that allowed them to sell a new RE considering the PX7 was apparently taken down due to a licensing issue?
PX7 was made by a third party and licensed to Reason Studios. This is an RE that is being sold in the shop by an external dev. There is nothing (so far) indicating they have anything to do with each other.

Remember that RS never made the developer of PX7 known.
hopefully it's the same person since they more or less lifted the PX7 interface intact. i actually like the PX7 interface and use it to load old DX7 patches on occaison but i thought it was overpriced at $99 and this seems overpriced at $89, especially given that dexed is out there for free and can also load DX7 patches, still i'm glad it's back in the shop so we at least have an RE available that can.

fieldframe
RE Developer

31 Mar 2023

Interesting to finally see the mystery developer behind PX7, along with a de-Propellerheaded version of the synth.

Given that the panel layouts appear to have the exact same coordinates for the same widgets *and* the author's site lists previous, unnamed work at what was formerly Propellerhead, I'd say there's about a 0% chance this isn't the original developer of PX7.

My guess as to why the UI is different for PX1: Reason Studios designed PX7's UI in-house, while contracting development out to pskonsult. The contract must have stipulated that pskonsult retained ownership of the codebase, but not the UI assets, so when they decided to repurpose the codebase into a new product, they had to replace the UI assets while leaving the overall UI the same.

SebAudio

01 Apr 2023

Propellerhead & RS are very good when it comes to UI and it shows once again.
I think most of you know https://www.plogue.com/products/chipsynth-ops7.html as a possible alternative

arnigretar

01 Apr 2023

fieldframe wrote:
31 Mar 2023
My guess as to why the UI is different for PX1: Reason Studios designed PX7's UI in-house, while contracting development out to pskonsult. The contract must have stipulated that pskonsult retained ownership of the codebase, but not the UI assets, so when they decided to repurpose the codebase into a new product, they had to replace the UI assets while leaving the overall UI the same.
Yeh, would assume that is correct.
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

madmacman

01 Apr 2023

reasonosaer wrote:
31 Mar 2023
this seems overpriced at $89, especially given that dexed is out there for free and can also load DX7 patches
The price tag discussion is usually futile, because there are far more examples of RE‘s with an excellent freeware VST replacement. E.g. Pultec or Mäag Eq‘s. But as you said: there are a lot of people out there who prefer a RE-only environment and so it‘s good to have another option back.

SebAudio

03 Apr 2023

The PX1 is 2 PX7s in one instrument. The presets are exactly the same. Combinator patches for PX7 are « simple » preset patches for PX1. The only exception I’ve noticed is the « exclusive » content for PX7 is not in its entirety available.
So a great RE for those who don’t already have a PX7. As a PX7 owner, I don’t see what can be done with the 1 that can’t be done with the 7 and combinator.
One of the flaws of PX7 is that the envelopes aren’t remote controllable. I didn’t check if it’s possible with PX1. That would be a big plus.

miscend

03 Apr 2023

reasonosaer wrote:
31 Mar 2023
hopefully it's the same person since they more or less lifted the PX7 interface intact. i actually like the PX7 interface and use it to load old DX7 patches on occaison but i thought it was overpriced at $99 and this seems overpriced at $89, especially given that dexed is out there for free and can also load DX7 patches, still i'm glad it's back in the shop so we at least have an RE available that can.
Hey but it seems you're getting two PX7s in one instrument for less than half the price with this one.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

03 Apr 2023

miscend wrote:
03 Apr 2023
Hey but it seems you're getting two PX7s in one instrument for less than half the price with this one.
It's not hardware right? If you want/need a dual sound patch, just duplicate the PX7.

On a side note, as i was saying back there, you don't have anything happening between the 2 engines, and you can't even define what engine plays in what notes, then getting a PX1 if you already have PX7, is just tossing money out as you even lose functionality (well, you don't as you can use PX1 in mono mode and toss 2 in a combi as PX7).

My point is, this is software. You can add 4000 px7's or 2000 PX1's, and it will be all the same.

Again, it's great to see people can get a DX emulation again. IMHO it is the rawest form of an FM synth, it performs great.
And you got2love it's simplicity, it sticks to what it is supposed to do, and everything else you do outside of it, with effects, modulations and so forth!

EnochLight

03 Apr 2023

I've already got PX-7, so PX-1 is of no interest to me. Had he added a few more integrated effects aside from just a reverb, it would have greatly improved the out-of-the-box sound though. Those audio demos on the shop page are embarrassingly pathetic, BTW. It's 2023 for chrissake - going to need more than that to impress.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information