The new Instrument, "Objekt" is coming in May

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
BRIGGS

03 Mar 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
03 Mar 2023
BRIGGS wrote:
03 Mar 2023
Scenic crying in the corner now. :cry:
I'm going to deep-dive into Scenic now, so I won't have to buy that new shiny thing when it is released :puf_bigsmile:
'Free' is the best price. when you're broke. :lol:
r11s

dvdrtldg

04 Mar 2023

"I think this is going to open up the door, man" lol

Oh cool, I've been waiting forever for a synth that opens up the door

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 Mar 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
04 Mar 2023
"I think this is going to open up the door, man" lol

Oh cool, I've been waiting forever for a synth that opens up the door
Yeeeeah!!!! That’s the spirit.
Fucking reaction videos.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

dvdrtldg

04 Mar 2023

2 girls 1 synth

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Mar 2023

Ok so they got the hype going. Now the only question is, can they live up to that hype?
RS sure has the potential to. I'm hoping they'll do what RS do best. Making easy to use, fun instruments that still has a lot of depth. Europa is the perfect example of this.
I'm personally just hoping it won't be another complicated cable monster like Complex-1.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 Mar 2023

One button. Blooooooop.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Faastwalker

04 Mar 2023

ryanharlin wrote:
03 Mar 2023
dusan.cani wrote:
03 Mar 2023
This staged not authentic promotional video
Anyone who has tried to get musicians to act before would know that this cynical comment is like the moon landing conspiracies — in the same way that back in 1969 it was technologically harder to fake the moon landing on film than it was to just land on the moon. :)
Have you been watching these guys :-) ;

The other thing is, if the reactions in the new device video were staged, then this is going to MASSIVELY back fire once the device is actually revealed, and it doesn’t live up to the hype from this video. I’m thinking the incoming device is truly something a bit special to warrant the video. Otherwise it would be a bit like (and I apologise for the crude example) Trump saying he has a huge announcement to make, and it turning out to be ludicrous Trump digital trading cards :?

I’ll have another stab at it - a vector synth with advanced and varied synthesis types that can be morphed together in interesting ways. I’m thinking Roland V-Synth on steroids or the recent RYK Vector Synth Eurorack module, that has really blown me away with its accessibility, capability and range of sounds in a pretty small Eurorack foot print. An RS synth version of this type of thing would be pretty bloody awesome and I think warrant the reactions we’ve seen in the video. Roll on May :thumbup:

crimsonwarlock

04 Mar 2023

BRIGGS wrote:
03 Mar 2023
'Free' is the best price. when you're broke. :lol:
I did put a smiley at the end, so there's that :puf_wink:

But... I didn't see anything in that video that makes me think it will do something I can't do already with what's available, so there's that too :puf_smile:

And finally, if Scenic isn't going to cut it, I'm going to combi-2 a whole stack of them to get there :thumbup: :lol:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

SebAudio

04 Mar 2023

At least when Thor was announced months before it’s release, we had James Bernard at Namm playing with it. Now, we have an insignificant video with insignificant people. Waste of ressources and time ?

Breach The Sky

04 Mar 2023

The geometric shape makes me think it's some sort of vector-based synth. But that isn't enough to "open doors", so there has to be a twist..
Maybe you can manipulate this shape in three dimensions? Also: In the last two synths they incorporated a resonator module, i always wondered if they could take this concept further. Maybe directly shape the "body" in "3d"?
Last edited by Breach The Sky on 04 Mar 2023, edited 1 time in total.

crimsonwarlock

04 Mar 2023

Breach The Sky wrote:
04 Mar 2023
The geometric shape makes me think it's some sort of vector-based synth. But that isn't enough to "open doors", so there have to be a twist..
Maybe you can manipulate this shape in three dimensions? Also: In the last two synths they incorporated a resonator module, i always wondered if they could take this concept further. Maybe directly shape the "body" in "3d"?
You could be on to something here, perhaps real-time impulse response modeling with modulation options.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

jaeproduced

04 Mar 2023

There's probably going to be limited releases this year because they can't go through 2024 and not release Reason 13. I wouldn't expect much except what's currently promised to be completed on the roadmap, a new synth and a new effect device that's about it for 2023...

BRIGGS

04 Mar 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
04 Mar 2023

I did put a smiley at the end, so there's that :puf_wink:

But... I didn't see anything in that video that makes me think it will do something I can't do already with what's available, so there's that too :puf_smile:

And finally, if Scenic isn't going to cut it, I'm going to combi-2 a whole stack of them to get there :thumbup: :lol:
If that doesn't work, replace Scenic with Grain. :puf_smile:
r11s

crimsonwarlock

04 Mar 2023

BRIGGS wrote:
04 Mar 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
04 Mar 2023
Or with a mix of Scenics and Grains... or mix in other instruments, throw in a Europa for good measure. Now there's a concept, strange nobody else thought about it :lol:
-------

Heater

04 Mar 2023

Not going to lie. I would be miffed if this comes out before the M1 update.

dusan.cani

04 Mar 2023

ryanharlin wrote:
03 Mar 2023
dusan.cani wrote:
03 Mar 2023
This staged not authentic promotional video
Anyone who has tried to get musicians to act before would know that this cynical comment is like the moon landing conspiracies — in the same way that back in 1969 it was technologically harder to fake the moon landing on film than it was to just land on the moon. :)
Take it easy :D

It just doesn't feel like natural unbiased responses from random, independent people for me. The people in the video are specifically chosen because they are somehow related to Reason Studios, aren't they ? And they are expected to give these kind of reactions, regardless of what they really think. I am not saying that this promotional video invalidates the fact that upcoming synth would be really cool and awesome, I am pretty excited about the new synth. I just prefer genuine uninfluenced responses over typical "WOW like" advertisements like this.

Regarding the "moon landing" charade... It's not good idea to enter into this topic as it would end up as disaster here :lol: ...Majority of the people are not able to discuss these topics calmly, without emotions involved and without ridiculing or attacking each other. But everytime when someone mentions the "moon landing" fantasies I can't believe that in the year 2023 there are still people who accept that comical and ridiculous animated cartoon of "lunar module blastoff" as real footage. Or just official images of "lunar module" which show nothing more than cardboard mockup garbage covered with aluminium foil which allegedly transported people in very harsh and extreme conditions in "outer space" :lol:

module.png
module.png (915.71 KiB) Viewed 9422 times

BRIGGS

04 Mar 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
04 Mar 2023
BRIGGS wrote:
04 Mar 2023

Or with a mix of Scenics and Grains... or mix in other instruments, throw in a Europa for good measure. Now there's a concept, strange nobody else thought about it :lol:
Definitely use presets to layer with, otherwise you may get lost down a rabbit hole or two, or three.

I'm building a library of presets, to avoid falling in. :lol:
r11s

dusan.cani

04 Mar 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
04 Mar 2023
I'm personally just hoping it won't be another complicated cable monster like Complex-1.
In which way do you consider Complex-1 as complicated ? You can make your own initial preset with predefined routing. Hide the cables and you get ordinary synth like Europa. It's fun to be able to define various routings as it delivers variability in sound design. But of course, it's all about personal taste.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Mar 2023

dusan.cani wrote:
04 Mar 2023
TritoneAddiction wrote:
04 Mar 2023
In which way do you consider Complex-1 as complicated ? You can make your own initial preset with predefined routing. Hide the cables and you get ordinary synth like Europa. It's fun to be able to define various routings as it delivers variability in sound design. But of course, it's all about personal taste.
I'm sure Complex-1 is fun if you understand what you're doing. But for me (a real dummy when it comes to technical stuff) the experience is I try to turn a bunch of different knobs and for the most part nothing happens because I don't understand enough to use it. Especially when starting from scratch, which is what's most fun imo if I'm not strictly using presets. Unless you've spent time with the routing side of reason it's just confusing. I've spent some time with "normal" synths, enough to get the basics and for the most part I'm able to get something decent from scratch. But with a synth like Complex-1 after a couple of minutes I just get pissed off. It's just too different to most synths I've used, so I can hardly use anything I've learned from other synths. Also just the name Complex-1 pisses me off to be honest. :lol: I hate when things are complicated for the sake of being complicated. But plenty of people get off on that shit. The synth is fine, but it's absolutely not for me.

Europa and Legend are perfect synths for me. Easy to use and easy to get great sounds from.

Chi-Individual

04 Mar 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
04 Mar 2023
I'm sure Complex-1 is fun if you understand what you're doing. But for me (a real dummy when it comes to technical stuff) the experience is I try to turn a bunch of different knobs and for the most part nothing happens because I don't understand enough to use it. Especially when starting from scratch, which is what's most fun imo if I'm not strictly using presets. Unless you've spent time with the routing side of reason it's just confusing. I've spent some time with "normal" synths, enough to get the basics and for the most part I'm able to get something decent from scratch. But with a synth like Complex-1 after a couple of minutes I just get pissed off. It's just too different to most synths I've used, so I can hardly use anything I've learned from other synths. Also just the name Complex-1 pisses me off to be honest. :lol: I hate when things are complicated for the sake of being complicated. But plenty of people get off on that shit. The synth is fine, but it's absolutely not for me.

Europa and Legend are perfect synths for me. Easy to use and easy to get great sounds from.
Funnily enough Europa is what helped me start to figure out Complex-1. I just looked at the signal flow of Europa and then tried to cable things until I got basic sounds. Had C1 for an while and was too intimidated to try to make anything. Finally on a bored weekend I just tinkered with Complex-1 until something made a sound. If you know you’re way around Europa or better still Thor, I think those can help make sense of things.

SebAudio

05 Mar 2023

Chi-Individual wrote:
04 Mar 2023
TritoneAddiction wrote:
04 Mar 2023

Funnily enough Europa is what helped me start to figure out Complex-1. I just looked at the signal flow of Europa and then tried to cable things until I got basic sounds. Had C1 for an while and was too intimidated to try to make anything. Finally on a bored weekend I just tinkered with Complex-1 until something made a sound. If you know you’re way around Europa or better still Thor, I think those can help make sense of things.
It’s great that something like Complex-1 exists, it’s a welcome different experience. It’s true it’s harder to make « useful sounds » since the references aren’t so numerous.
Speaking of Europa, even if its routing is fixed and standard, I do find hard to have the « right » combination between the starting oscillator type and the various modulators. And then you can alter the waveform more with the harmonic process. How can someone know what works with what & what to expect is a mystery for me :D

lowtom

05 Mar 2023

We love it - we need it - excess
:reason: :refill: :re:

Goriila Texas

05 Mar 2023

The beat in the video is nice.

Breach The Sky

05 Mar 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
04 Mar 2023
Breach The Sky wrote:
04 Mar 2023
The geometric shape makes me think it's some sort of vector-based synth. But that isn't enough to "open doors", so there have to be a twist..
You could be on to something here, perhaps real-time impulse response modeling with modulation options.
That would be something unique at least! Can you wave-fold IR:s, for example? Stuff like that comes to (my) mind.

Looking at the shape some more, it kinda look like a 3d-fied mathematical graph (nodes and edges). Hard to say what the implication of that would be, though. Graph transformers something something machine learning? Nothing more to do than playing the waiting game, i guess.

• Information