Drum Buss RE?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

Would you like to see a Drum Buss* alternative as a RE?

Sure why not.
31%
Don't Care.
69%

Total votes: 29
Neo

07 Feb 2023

Drum Buss* (Ableton ofcourse)
Would be nice to see this as a RE to save some space in the rack. (Just sayin'!) Yes.. we can use Pulveriser, Scream, ECF-42.. DCAM EnvShaper* (I use other transient VSTs days) in a CMB.

:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

crimsonwarlock

07 Feb 2023

Neo wrote:
07 Feb 2023
Would be nice to see this as a RE to save some space in the rack.
Isn't that one of the things combinators are useful for?
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

motuscott

07 Feb 2023

I have a seven track drum record and a seven track drum mix song template, I guessing this question is not addressed to me.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

deeplink
Competition Winner

07 Feb 2023

I've done such a device as a 1U combinator and creating a standard sized one as well.

Functionally it's the same, sonically it can be debatable.

Check out the link in my signature, and head to
1U-FX Series > 1U-Mix Tools

Edit: Picture upload
Attachments
1U-Preview.png
1U-Preview.png (1008.69 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Neo

07 Feb 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
07 Feb 2023
Neo wrote:
07 Feb 2023
Would be nice to see this as a RE to save some space in the rack.
Isn't that one of the things combinators are useful for?
Indeed. Thought to ask anyway.

Neo

07 Feb 2023

deeplink wrote:
07 Feb 2023
I've done such a device as a 1U combinator and creating a standard sized one as well.

Functionally it's the same, sonically it can be debatable.

Check out the link in my signature, and head to
1U-FX Series > 1U-Mix Tools

Edit: Picture upload
:thumbup: Thanks for sharing!..

DJMaytag

07 Feb 2023

Isn’t that what routing a bunch of tracks to an output buss and sticking FX on the buss insert is for? I usually don’t do much more than stick an EQ and a VCA comp like a DBX-160 on my drum buss.

MuttReason

07 Feb 2023

There’s a lot of clever stuff under the hood in the Ableton Live Drum Buss effect. I use it a lot. Reason RRP with Reason Drum Kits RE in the rack going into the Live Drum Buss effect is pretty amazing. I have tried to recreate the Drum Buss in a combinator but found it hard to get anywhere close to what Drum Buss does effortlessly with just a couple of knob tweaks. It’s possible to replicate the individual elements (drive, EQ, comp, transients) but it doesn’t come together in the same way. I’d love a RE version to use in Reason DAW.

Aosta

07 Feb 2023

The magic of reason is you can make stuff yourself ;)
Tend the flame

turn2on
RE Developer

08 Feb 2023

Intresting and not hard to realise, on paper.
How it can sound identically.. or not at the final? Its more about Drive/Comp curves.

MuttReason

08 Feb 2023

turn2on wrote:
08 Feb 2023
Intresting and not hard to realise, on paper.
How it can sound identically.. or not at the final? Its more about Drive/Comp curves.
There’s definitely a lot more going on within the Ableton Live Drum Buss effect than would seem obvious based on the individual components. I’d happily buy an RE that did something similar.

motuscott

08 Feb 2023

What's that buzz?
A-204264-1299230259.jpg
A-204264-1299230259.jpg (115.05 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

demt

08 Feb 2023

erm izotope mastering suite do a good job if you can find the right 1 but there expensive
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

selig
RE Developer

08 Feb 2023

These days my drum bus is one thing: an RMS (read: slow attack) compressor (the SSL Channel comp in Reason, DBX 160 in LUNA).
On occasion I may add saturation in parallel (ColoringEQ or Infuser) or a Tape plugin, and that’s it.
Selig Audio, LLC

freshkidblaze

08 Feb 2023

Yes, and thanks deeplink. I only put blackbox on my drum bus because most of the drums I use have been processed to the heavens lol.

Neo

09 Feb 2023

Cheers gents.

MuttReason

09 Feb 2023

selig wrote:
08 Feb 2023
These days my drum bus is one thing: an RMS (read: slow attack) compressor (the SSL Channel comp in Reason, DBX 160 in LUNA).
On occasion I may add saturation in parallel (ColoringEQ or Infuser) or a Tape plugin, and that’s it.
I think the secret sauce in the Ableton Live Drum Buss is more in the EQ and transient controls. The drive and comp controls are (IMO) more easy to replicate elsewhere (and I’m also a big fan of UAD’s dbx160 Selig, it is great). I don’t know what lies behind the kick boost (“boom”) and snare boost (“crunch”) but it doesn’t seem to be as simple as nudging up the obvious frequencies for those sounds, there is something else going on as well. Maybe my ignorance or knackered old ears but I can’t get there through EQ alone. Transients is a bit easier to understand and could be replicated with an RE but again Ableton have done some clever stuff to make this a ‘one knob’ control.

Agree on putting tape sim across drums BTW, I’ve just got the UAD Oxide plugin with my Apollo X4 and am in danger of putting it across everything! And there are some really interesting tape sim REs as well which are on my wish list.

deeplink
Competition Winner

09 Feb 2023

MuttReason wrote:
09 Feb 2023
selig wrote:
08 Feb 2023
I think the secret sauce in the Ableton Live Drum Buss is more in the EQ and transient controls. The drive and comp controls are (IMO) more easy to replicate elsewhere (and I’m also a big fan of UAD’s dbx160 Selig, it is great). I don’t know what lies behind the kick boost (“boom”) and snare boost (“crunch”) but it doesn’t seem to be as simple as nudging up the obvious frequencies for those sounds, there is something else going on as well. Maybe my ignorance or knackered old ears but I can’t get there through EQ alone. Transients is a bit easier to understand and could be replicated with an RE but again Ableton have done some clever stuff to make this a ‘one knob’ control.

Agree on putting tape sim across drums BTW, I’ve just got the UAD Oxide plugin with my Apollo X4 and am in danger of putting it across everything! And there are some really interesting tape sim REs as well which are on my wish list.
You can achieve the one knob control with the new Combinator2. Just by using Kong's transient shaper.
As for the kick 'boom'', its just a simple extremely hi Q boost, which can be achieved using the MClass EQ.

The most difficult part to sonically replicate are the compression, distortion/crunch controls - without being able to see what is going on under the hood it terms of shaping algorithms and compression settings. But you can get similar results using devices such Pulverizer and Scream and some EQ.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

reasonosaer

20 Mar 2023

there are a million ways to make a great sounding drum buss with just the stock Reason devices but if you want to see an interesting newish vst buss comp that does drums very well check out newfangled audio's invigorate. i wasn't blown away by the synth newfangled makes when i tried it but their other plugins are really excellent.

that invigorate comp is one of two or three others i use instead of the built in ssl one on the two buss at times in Reason and their limiter wins out against the fabfilter one and an old vst called psp xenon pretty regularly, usually on the less dense mixes with more dynamic range. also definitely give their eq a try, if i remember correctly the main idea behind their eq and limiter is divinding the signal into bands according to the mel scale instead of regular 1/3 octave intervals or whatever. i don't remember the details but they're definitely onto something in terms of the transparency of relatively aggressive eq or limiting on sensitive acoustic sources. it reminds me of the way certain ribbon mics just sound more like the way you hear something directly than other types of mics that are nominally flatter and those also tend to be mics that take eq very well in my experience.

• Information