Polar glitches

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Last Alternative

04 Feb 2023

Maybe it's just the M1 issues RS is working out but Polar is really bad. Like audio choppiness, delays when all the delays and feedback are off.. one bar plays in time and the next is a mess and audio has trashy glitches and pops - this is on my guitar solo. The guitar part is fine and in tune. This is very frustrating. And yes I have delay comp on. As I recall, Polar always had latency problems but this is just un-usable right now. Can anyone relate? It appears it never got an update past v1.1

And btw, my DSP never breaks a sweat past 1 bar so all I can think is it's a Reason bug. Not even Serum makes these problems and it's a much bigger beast of a plugin.

I'm trying to do a doubler effect where there's the high octave above the tone the guitar is playing (real guitar). Does anyone recommend a different RE or maybe free VST?
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

AnotherMathias

04 Feb 2023

It's hard to tell if something is wrong with your system, or if you simply don't like Polar.

Polar was always a bit of a retro device, an homage to the early Eventide and AMS units, with gobs of glitches and latency. Personally I think it's great, one of my favorite REs.

Polar does have some options for more modern processing, but if clean, quick pitch shifting is what you want, probably best look elsewhere. For example, if you don't need to play the octave shift in real time, perhaps duplicate the guitar track, and transpose up an octave in the pitch edit mode.

Last Alternative

04 Feb 2023

I want to love Polar but it just seems super buggy.
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

AnotherMathias

04 Feb 2023

Not buggy over here, and I can’t recall anyone mention any bugs.
Can you describe a bit more how it sounds on your side? Maybe a clip? That would help us determine if it works as intended, or if there is indeed buggyness.

Overtherainbow

04 Feb 2023

Sorry man, windows user here and I cannot confirm any of the problems you have. I use it a lot and I think it's a gem.

Seems like an issue for the Apple forum.

Last Alternative

05 Feb 2023

Again, I'm using it as a doubler on a guitar solo I played - so the effect is the same note 2 octaves higher. All the delays are off. It will play thru 1 measure fine and then the 2nd measure it is delayed as if there's 100ms of latency. And all the while the audio is crackling and popping unless I turn Polar off. It is an insert btw. I've checked my UA interface. There's no latency there and I have delay comp on in Reason. It's a mystery.

turn2on
RE Developer

05 Feb 2023

Polar in some tasks can be really slow. Try to use our Pitch Shifters REs:
- Coriolis force (20 kHz main mode not make delays) that we create as alternative to Polar, and was been inspired by one guitar pedal from Catalinbread.

Or Ghammy or DropnLift (control granular resolution size) or GrainShift also with granular control

May be also can help other pitch shifters, I not try 3rd part REs in aspects of Polar work.

Jagwah

05 Feb 2023

Last Alternative wrote:
04 Feb 2023
I want to love Polar but it just seems super buggy.
I've used it quite a bit and not found it to be buggy though I haven't really used it exactly like you are. Would be good if you could post a Reason file example and we could try the same thing you are doing.

I was also wondering if you could use TS1 - Time Slider to match the weird latency which might at least let you jam, but that shouldn't be necessary really.

• Information