Is there a player that can add/remove delay?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
User avatar
FLVZ
Posts: 510
Joined: 17 Aug 2016
Location: ZW | GB

Post 22 Jan 2023

Is there a player out there that can correct timing of notes manually. For example if I had a chain of players and it was last in the chain I can correct the timing of notes going into the instrument. This can be done in the sequencer or using norman's RE but it I think I'd prefer being able to do this as a player. I recently had a player stack of scales and chords, note humanize, delta, note humanize and the results sounded good but messed up the timing of the instrument, which then meant shifting everything in the block in order to compensate for the delay added.

User avatar
Pepin
Posts: 434
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 22 Jan 2023

I don't think it's possible for a player to shift things backwards, as it's unaware of notes yet to be played.
But you could slide the audio using this https://roboticbean.com/products/ts-1/

User avatar
deeplink
Posts: 884
Joined: 08 Jul 2020
Location: Dubai / Cape Town

Post 22 Jan 2023

Put your player stack in a combinator, create an ARP-8 utility to the Combi and midi focus to that arp. Increase gate length the max (tie) and adjust arp rate according to how careless you play
Get Combinators, ReFills and RS Giveaways at the Shared GoogleDrive: [deeplink] Open RS-Project

User avatar
FLVZ
Posts: 510
Joined: 17 Aug 2016
Location: ZW | GB

Post 25 Jan 2023

Pepin wrote:
22 Jan 2023
I don't think it's possible for a player to shift things backwards, as it's unaware of notes yet to be played.
But you could slide the audio using this https://roboticbean.com/products/ts-1/
Fair enough. I think Norman's sample delay plugin allows for a swing of more than 100ms, so that will have to be the workaround...

User avatar
Pepin
Posts: 434
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 25 Jan 2023

FLVZ wrote:
25 Jan 2023
Pepin wrote:
22 Jan 2023
I don't think it's possible for a player to shift things backwards, as it's unaware of notes yet to be played.
But you could slide the audio using this https://roboticbean.com/products/ts-1/
Fair enough. I think Norman's sample delay plugin allows for a swing of more than 100ms, so that will have to be the workaround...
If VMG-01 works for you, that’s great.
But remember that it only adds delay. It won’t shift backwards like TS-1. And the delay will change with the sample rate since it’s using samples rather than milliseconds. I think you can also create a longer delay with TS-1 if you chain multiple devices, if you decide to try it.

User avatar
FLVZ
Posts: 510
Joined: 17 Aug 2016
Location: ZW | GB

Post 25 Jan 2023

Pepin wrote:
25 Jan 2023
FLVZ wrote:
25 Jan 2023


Fair enough. I think Norman's sample delay plugin allows for a swing of more than 100ms, so that will have to be the workaround...
If VMG-01 works for you, that’s great.
But remember that it only adds delay. It won’t shift backwards like TS-1. And the delay will change with the sample rate since it’s using samples rather than milliseconds. I think you can also create a longer delay with TS-1 if you chain multiple devices, if you decide to try it.
Ah that's a great point, I'll have to stack TS-1s then.

User avatar
mcatalao
Posts: 1733
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 25 Jan 2023

If what you're trying to delay or advance is midi, i think you can use the regroove mixer timming slide knob. Negative values advance midi in time. I use this a lot when i need to unmask rhitmic stuff that is too quantized (have you ever felt live drums sound more snappy than midi ones? a part of that is because no drummer hits the snare and the hi hat exactly at the same time, and once you move the hi hat's clear from the snare drum attack their attack pops out!).

Mind that players won't be able to advance stuff (play midi earlier than it is written in the sequencer) because they are real time devices, stuff has to be happening, pretty much like audio. The groove mixer, taps between the sequencer, the player and the instrument, reads sequencer info forward if needed.

If you need to advance audio in time, you can select all the stuff you don't need to advance, and delay them, then delay less the rest of the stuff. This is possible with Normen VMG-01 or TS1 or any other device that is able to delay signals. It's easy to do just fidling with the mixer and groups.

User avatar
FLVZ
Posts: 510
Joined: 17 Aug 2016
Location: ZW | GB

Post 27 Jan 2023

mcatalao wrote:
25 Jan 2023
If what you're trying to delay or advance is midi, i think you can use the regroove mixer timming slide knob. Negative values advance midi in time. I use this a lot when i need to unmask rhitmic stuff that is too quantized (have you ever felt live drums sound more snappy than midi ones? a part of that is because no drummer hits the snare and the hi hat exactly at the same time, and once you move the hi hat's clear from the snare drum attack their attack pops out!).

Mind that players won't be able to advance stuff (play midi earlier than it is written in the sequencer) because they are real time devices, stuff has to be happening, pretty much like audio. The groove mixer, taps between the sequencer, the player and the instrument, reads sequencer info forward if needed.

If you need to advance audio in time, you can select all the stuff you don't need to advance, and delay them, then delay less the rest of the stuff. This is possible with Normen VMG-01 or TS1 or any other device that is able to delay signals. It's easy to do just fidling with the mixer and groups.
Awesome advice, thank you!

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests