CPU load with Ekssperimental REs and 4K display

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mdcmdcmdc

07 Jan 2023

Hi, this is an extension (harr harr) if a thread I started in a different forum: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7530490

I purchased a new 4K display this weekend and was startled to find that reason projects that worked with my 15 year old 1080p display now won't play at all.

With the CPU load per device option turned on, I noticed a huge jump in some of the Ekss stuff. On the 1080p display, I would be seeing sort of high, but not crazy numbers (6 or 7%, similar to what other reverb REs like the synapse stuff might show). Those numbers tripled or quadrupled with the 4K display plugged in. Adjusting the display scaling in system prefs did nothing to help the situation. I didn't see this kind of a jump with REs from any other developer (mcdsp comps for example stayed around 1% CPU load) - just the Ekss ones, which is truly unfortunate as I really like them! The eq seems to be the worst culprit of them all.

Has anyone else noticed this issue? Can @ekss offer any insight?

Thanks in advance!

mdcmdcmdc

07 Jan 2023

Load numbers from the same project with my crap monitor plugged in, no other changes, restarted R12 but not my actual computer...

Loque

07 Jan 2023

They are IR reverbs and the Gorilla Engine is very inefficient for this.
Reason12, Win10

mdcmdcmdc

07 Jan 2023

I understand that they're IR-based, so it makes sense to me that they're on the higher end on CPU usage. What I don't get is why switching from one display to another quadruples the CPU load?

jam-s

07 Jan 2023

mdcmdcmdc wrote:
07 Jan 2023
I understand that they're IR-based, so it makes sense to me that they're on the higher end on CPU usage. What I don't get is why switching from one display to another quadruples the CPU load?
The 4k display has a much higher resolution so more pixels have to be rendered. Depending on how it is done and how well or not the GPU (drivers) handle this it can lead to a proportional increase in CPU time. I suspect that CPU rendering is used instead of GPU rendering here perhaps because the GPU (driver) is lacking the needed opengl (shader) version or something like this.

mdcmdcmdc

08 Jan 2023

Makes sense - I posted in the other thread that I was thinking about the situation backwards yesterday. Monitor taxes the GPU, which decreases available CPU, which means there's less for R12 to use, which means the *percentages* rise. As a fraction, the numerator is constant while the denominator decreases.

• Information