Robotic Beans Sequences - can't change pattern from Reason sequencer.

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mimidancer

05 Jan 2023

Unable to change pattern via the reason sequencer in blocks mode. Help!

artotaku

05 Jan 2023

mimidancer wrote:
05 Jan 2023
It should. Can you share some more information? Screenshot of Reason Sequencer with pattern lane and is Sequences Pattern area showing an automation rectangle, etc.
Sequences-Pattern-Automation.jpg
Sequences-Pattern-Automation.jpg (76.51 KiB) Viewed 4545 times

mimidancer

05 Jan 2023

artotaku wrote:
05 Jan 2023
mimidancer wrote:
05 Jan 2023
It should. Can you share some more information? Screenshot of Reason Sequencer with pattern lane and is Sequences Pattern area showing an automation rectangle, etc.

Long long-time reason user. I know how to set up automation. but when I put a change in a block like say 7 bars in it does not change patterns. Very weird. in the same rack, I have a matrix in the same rack controlling cutoff. it takes the changes as intended. So I tested other devices. This irritation only happens with Sequences. Quite odd.

crimsonwarlock

05 Jan 2023

It seems I can consistently replicate this problem. When I add a new Sequences player to an instrument and set up a control-lane for pattern select inside a block, the patterns do switch correctly as long as there are no notes entered in Sequences. As soon as I add just one note in a pattern, the patterns won't follow automation anymore and only the manually selected pattern is playing all the time. Removing the note doesn't revert the situation, it stays broken after that.

It seems to me this is obviously a bug in Sequences. Hopefully, Mr. Robotic Bean will read this and solve/update Sequences.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

artotaku

05 Jan 2023

mimidancer wrote:
05 Jan 2023
artotaku wrote:
05 Jan 2023

Long long-time reason user. I know how to set up automation. but when I put a change in a block like say 7 bars in it does not change patterns. Very weird. in the same rack, I have a matrix in the same rack controlling cutoff. it takes the changes as intended. So I tested other devices. This irritation only happens with Sequences. Quite odd.
Ok, I can reproduce it now as well. As @crimsonwarlock pointed out, you have to have notes in the pattern. This looks very much like a bug in Sequences. maybe "introduced" in one of the later bug fix releases. So you found the first bug in year 2023 ;-)

buddard
RE Developer

06 Jan 2023

I'm pretty sure this is a Reason bug, because Rack Extensions have no way of telling whether Reason is playing back in block mode or in song mode.
And I can reproduce this with other pattern based players, for example Polystep.

I'll file a bug report at RS!

crimsonwarlock

06 Jan 2023

buddard wrote:
06 Jan 2023
I'm pretty sure this is a Reason bug, because Rack Extensions have no way of telling whether Reason is playing back in block mode or in song mode.
And I can reproduce this with other pattern based players, for example Polystep.
I didn't try other players, but great that it can be reproduced regardless.
buddard wrote:
06 Jan 2023
If this affects most (or all) pattern-based players, it is an important bug to repair. Thanks for taking action on this :thumbup:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

crimsonwarlock

06 Jan 2023

And of course thanks to mimidancer for finding this bug :clap:
-------

artotaku

06 Jan 2023

It gets now even weirder. The issue only happens if you do stuff in a certain exact order in Block Mode.

How it works as expected:
1. Add Sequences Player
2. Add a note in Pattern 1
3. Add Pattern Automation with changes to Pattern 2, 3 etc.

How it does not work
1. Add Sequences Player
2. Add Pattern Automation (but don´t draw any patterns yet in Reason Sequencer)
3. Click on Pattern 1 in Sequences and add a note
4. Draw pattern automation in Reason Sequencer with changes to Pattern 2, 3, etc.

It seems that if you actively click on Pattern 1 (since it goes to Off Pattern) after Automation has been added *AND* before any Patterns have been drawn in Reason Sequencer Pattern lane it does not work anymore.

Can anybody confirm this?

crimsonwarlock

06 Jan 2023

artotaku wrote:
06 Jan 2023
1. Add Sequences Player
Yep, works as expected here as well. But editing the patterns after automation is set will break again.
artotaku wrote:
06 Jan 2023
How it does not work
1. Add Sequences Player
4. Draw pattern automation in Reason Sequencer with changes to Pattern 2, 3, etc.

It seems that if you actively click on Pattern 1 (since it goes to Off Pattern) after Automation has been added *AND* before any Patterns have been drawn in Reason Sequencer Pattern lane it does not work anymore.
I think it basically comes down to this: if you add/edit notes/patterns AFTER setting automation, it breaks. I could not replicate this same behavior with PolyStep Sequencer, but resetting PolyStep after automation is set will also break pattern automation.
-------

artotaku

06 Jan 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
06 Jan 2023
artotaku wrote:
06 Jan 2023
1. Add Sequences Player
Yep, works as expected here as well. But editing the patterns after automation is set will break again.
artotaku wrote:
06 Jan 2023
How it does not work
1. Add Sequences Player

I think it basically comes down to this: if you add/edit notes/patterns AFTER setting automation, it breaks. I could not replicate this same behavior with PolyStep Sequencer, but resetting PolyStep after automation is set will also break pattern automation.
Yes, and only in Block mode and it persists during Reason session. Closing the document and reopen it works again until you edit a pattern again.

buddard
RE Developer

06 Jan 2023

After a closer look I think the issue is actually with Remote Override in general (but in the Block view only):

If you override automation on any device (not just REs, I can reproduce in on Thor, for example), i e change parameters while their automation is playing back, those parameters will get stuck in override mode even when you stop and restart Reason's transport. So Remote Override isn't properly reset, even though the override light has gone out.

The parameters can get unstuck again either by briefly entering Record mode (i e arm the track, start Recording and stop it again without recording anything), or by deleting each faulty device and recalling it again using Undo.

The bug doesn't seem to be reproducible in 12.2.10, so it was probably introduced in 12.5.

crimsonwarlock

07 Jan 2023

buddard wrote:
06 Jan 2023
After a closer look I think the issue is actually with Remote Override in general (but in the Block view only):

If you override automation on any device (not just REs, I can reproduce in on Thor, for example), i e change parameters while their automation is playing back, those parameters will get stuck in override mode even when you stop and restart Reason's transport. So Remote Override isn't properly reset, even though the override light has gone out.

The parameters can get unstuck again either by briefly entering Record mode (i e arm the track, start Recording and stop it again without recording anything), or by deleting each faulty device and recalling it again using Undo.

The bug doesn't seem to be reproducible in 12.2.10, so it was probably introduced in 12.5.
This is already looking good for this bug to be squashed. Regression bugs are a pain.

And thanks for finding some workarounds in the meantime :thumbup:
-------

DJMaytag

08 Jan 2023

I’m not sure anyone else has noticed this, but I was having some issues with external hardware sequencers not looping along with block mode on.

I have a Sequentix Cirklon tightly sync’ed up via Expert Sleepers Silent Way VST’s (sample accurate audio to real world MIDI), and it would suddenly stop for no apparent reason after not very long, and I noticed that I had accidentally turned on block mode when I noticed this. Putting it back to song mode solved the issue. Very strange.

mimidancer

09 Jan 2023

buddard wrote:
06 Jan 2023

I reinstalled reason and it fixed the issue. love sequences. The only thing I would change is the pattern length. Sorry, it took so long to post back. I'm a pediatric intensivist and it was a full moon weekend.

crimsonwarlock

09 Jan 2023

mimidancer wrote:
09 Jan 2023
I reinstalled reason and it fixed the issue.
Did you roll back to a previous version of Reason?
-------

mimidancer

09 Jan 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
09 Jan 2023
mimidancer wrote:
09 Jan 2023
I reinstalled reason and it fixed the issue.
Did you roll back to a previous version of Reason?
I did not. but on my last try I did not draw in the clips while running. My default setup starts in blocks mode. but it does seem to be working now. I have not tried to break it again.

crimsonwarlock

09 Jan 2023

mimidancer wrote:
09 Jan 2023
I did not. but on my last try I did not draw in the clips while running. My default setup starts in blocks mode. but it does seem to be working now. I have not tried to break it again.
OK, so you are probably circumventing the scenario that triggers the bug now. As our testing, and the confirmation from buddard (mister RB) shows, this is an actual bug. You were not imagining things :puf_wink:
-------

mimidancer

09 Jan 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
09 Jan 2023
mimidancer wrote:
09 Jan 2023
OK, so you are probably circumventing the scenario that triggers the bug now. As our testing, and the confirmation from buddard (mister RB) shows, this is an actual bug. You were not imagining things :puf_wink:
on the project where I first encounter the issue, I recorded the player parts to clips. SO it is easy to workaround. Just annoying.

crimsonwarlock

09 Jan 2023

mimidancer wrote:
09 Jan 2023
Just annoying.
Indeed. But as it seems to be a regression bug, and it's affecting most payers, chances are it will be fixed in the next update.
-------

mimidancer

12 Jan 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
09 Jan 2023
mimidancer wrote:
09 Jan 2023
Just annoying.
Indeed. But as it seems to be a regression bug, and it's affecting most payers, chances are it will be fixed in the next update.
Thanks. I really appreciate this community's helpfulness.

• Information