CV smoother?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
xylyx

28 Dec 2022

Does anyone know of a [preferably free] CV smoothing RE? Something that would make the values of the CV curve output on the Matrix less stepped, for example?

_andreypetr_

28 Dec 2022

xylyx wrote:
28 Dec 2022
Does anyone know of a [preferably free] CV smoothing RE? Something that would make the values of the CV curve output on the Matrix less stepped, for example?
Janitor

ljekio

28 Dec 2022

Or you can use LP audio filter.
Best for it - kHz Filter (or same).

selig
RE Developer

28 Dec 2022

Better yet, just use Pulveriser!
Selig Audio, LLC

BRIGGS

28 Dec 2022

_andreypetr_ wrote:
28 Dec 2022
xylyx wrote:
28 Dec 2022
Janitor
It leaves the place smelling nice afterwards, too.

r11s

ljekio

28 Dec 2022

selig wrote:
28 Dec 2022
Ive tested Pulver and Etch - results have bipolar instead unipolar wave.
But if I use follower I receive isnt precise wave.

p.s.
kHz Filter and Janitor waves:
CVFiltration.JPG
CVFiltration.JPG (50.32 KiB) Viewed 1119 times

selig
RE Developer

28 Dec 2022

ljekio wrote:
28 Dec 2022
selig wrote:
28 Dec 2022
Ive tested Pulver and Etch - results have bipolar instead unipolar wave.
But if I use follower I receive isnt precise wave.

p.s.
kHz Filter and Janitor waves:

CVFiltration.JPG
I thought that’s what you were looking for, not the ‘precise’ stepped output of Matrix Curve CV?
If instead what you’re looking for is linear interpolation, that is to say a “connect the dots” rather than a step, then you need a different device. The only way to connect steps with straight sloping lines is if you already know the value of the next step, so no ‘external’ device can do this in Reason.

What exactly are you looking for (can you draw it)?
Selig Audio, LLC

ljekio

28 Dec 2022

I thought that was what TS was looking for.
And yes, as a result, the steps are smoothed out.

selig
RE Developer

28 Dec 2022

Missed this before:

"Ive tested Pulver and Etch - results have bipolar instead unipolar wave."

Pulverizer is only bipolar if you start with a bipolar source! If you feed it a gate, for example, the result is not bipolar. Make sure you set Matrix to unipolar if that's the results you're looking for.
I just checked to be sure, and if you send Pulveriser a unipolar signal from Matrix, the output is still unipolar.

My other point is that even with 'full' smoothing the shape will be curved, not linear because of how low pass filtering (slewing, lag generation) works.

But there are step sequencers that DO allow a smooth transition from step to step, a feature I happen to love using! My MiniBrute 2s has this as a 0-100% setting for each step. One of my favorite applications is creating a ramp up in the sequencer with full 'smoothing' between each step. THEN, set the sequencer to RANDOM and you get an excellent 'slow random' effect that is constantly moving randomly. But I digress…
Selig Audio, LLC

ljekio

29 Dec 2022

selig wrote:
28 Dec 2022
Missed this before:

Pulverizer is only bipolar if you start with a bipolar source! If you feed it a gate, for example, the result is not bipolar. Make sure you set Matrix to unipolar if that's the results you're looking for.
I just checked to be sure, and if you send Pulveriser a unipolar signal from Matrix, the output is still unipolar.
What I did wrong?
CVFiltration2.JPG
CVFiltration2.JPG (112.72 KiB) Viewed 1026 times

selig
RE Developer

29 Dec 2022

ljekio wrote:
29 Dec 2022
selig wrote:
28 Dec 2022
Missed this before:

What I did wrong?
CVFiltration2.JPG
Doesn’t look that way for me, looks very much like the other devices - how is it connected?
[with those settings Pulveriser’s output should look very much like the original input signal…]
Selig Audio, LLC

ljekio

29 Dec 2022

Through Thor:
CV in - Audio out -- Audio in - CV out
Between audio in/out inserted Pulveriser (and other filters in my tests)

xylyx

29 Dec 2022

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The Janitor device does what I was looking for, so I'll use that.

selig
RE Developer

29 Dec 2022

ljekio wrote:
29 Dec 2022
Through Thor:
CV in - Audio out -- Audio in - CV out
Between audio in/out inserted Pulveriser (and other filters in my tests)
I use Pulveriser because there is already a CV. Input jack, so connect directly from Matrix Curve CV output to Pulveriser Follower CV input. The only real reason to use Pulveriser over Janitor etc is that it is a Factory device, so every Reason user already has it installed. So, the best option if sharing, not at all important if not IMO!
I guess Pulveriser is not commonly thought of as a CV processor, but it’s always been there! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

ljekio

29 Dec 2022

Now it’s clear, I never used it follower separately.
I would like to know the opinion why such a picture when converting cv to audio is on these devices. Some filters (like kHz) give a normal image, some have similar spikes in plus and minus. I still don't understand why this is happening.

Neo

29 Dec 2022

selig wrote:
29 Dec 2022
I guess Pulveriser is not commonly thought of as a CV processor, but it’s always been there! ;)
Indeed^. Thanks for the thread/replies.
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

• Information