DS cv out to Buffer not working.

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Chi-Individual

19 Dec 2022

I want to use DS to trigger the loop trigger in Buffer like the Matrix but it's not working. Am I doing something wrong or do the players just not work like that? I've tried with and without the Cmb and it still doesn't work.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 8.09.59 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 8.09.59 PM.jpg (610.24 KiB) Viewed 412 times
Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 8.07.55 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 8.07.55 PM.jpg (647.67 KiB) Viewed 412 times

huggermugger

19 Dec 2022

Two things come to mind. First, DS outputs triggers, short gates. Buffre may need a longer gate to start or even sustain the loop playing. Second, you have the individual drum gate output feeding both the Gate and CV input on Buffre. But those drum gate outputs don't carry any note information; they're just triggers. So patching into the CV input could be causing a problem. Just guessing here, I haven't got Buffre.

bieh

22 Dec 2022

Chi-Individual wrote:
19 Dec 2022
I want to use DS to trigger the loop trigger in Buffer like the Matrix but it's not working. Am I doing something wrong or do the players just not work like that?
I just had a play around since I don't think I've used those CV ins on Buffre before. And the clue is in the Loop Duration CV input - the fact that it mentions a note range.So I would grab a CV8X4 CV Generator and dial something in on it, run one of its outs through a CVA-7 Analyser (or an RVL-1 with the display set to the Note option), which shows the note value of the CV signal, and make sure the CV value is on a note within that range. Once you've done that, everything else in your existing setup should be fine and it should work.

bieh

22 Dec 2022

bieh wrote:
22 Dec 2022
Chi-Individual wrote:
19 Dec 2022
I want to use DS to trigger the loop trigger in Buffer like the Matrix but it's not working. Am I doing something wrong or do the players just not work like that?
I just had a play around since I don't think I've used those CV ins on Buffre before. And the clue is in the Loop Duration CV input - the fact that it mentions a note range.So I would grab a CV8X4 CV Generator and dial something in on it, run one of its outs through a CVA-7 Analyser (or an RVL-1 with the display set to the Note option), which shows the note value of the CV signal, and make sure the CV value is on a note within that range. Once you've done that, everything else in your existing setup should be fine and it should work.
Last edited by bieh on 22 Dec 2022, edited 1 time in total.

crimsonwarlock

22 Dec 2022

Matrix sends out a gate signal, while DS sends out triggers. I ran into this problem when triggering multiple Algoritms from Beat Map. You need something to transform triggers into gate signals, and Trigate is made specifically for this.. and is currently on sale for a tenner.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... n/trigate/

It has more functionality, so it is a handy tool to have in your toolbox :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

bieh

22 Dec 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
22 Dec 2022
Matrix sends out a gate signal, while DS sends out triggers.
Actually, yes. This appears to be why the setup I was describing only seems to do something useful with One Shot turned on. Because without one shot on, the Drum Sequencer hits are just like hitting the Buffre Manual Trigger extremely momentarily. So if wanting to sequence a triggering of Buffre, it's better to replace Drum Sequencer with something like Propulsion, where you can use a series of notes joined together by setting the gate lengths to maximum, making the series of notes like a tied note, which gives you the equivalent of holding down the Buffre Manual Trigger for longer.

crimsonwarlock

22 Dec 2022

bieh wrote:
22 Dec 2022
So if wanting to sequence a triggering of Buffre, it's better to replace Drum Sequencer with something like Propulsion...
Or get the Trigate RE (as I said, and it is dirt cheap right now) and then you can use any drum-sequence player to control any instrument or FX in Reason.

You could for example then use Beat Map to trigger Buffre and get some really interesting results that way :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

bieh

22 Dec 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
22 Dec 2022
bieh wrote:
22 Dec 2022
So if wanting to sequence a triggering of Buffre, it's better to replace Drum Sequencer with something like Propulsion...
Or get the Trigate RE (as I said, and it is dirt cheap right now) and then you can use any drum-sequence player to control any instrument or FX in Reason.

You could for example then use Beat Map to trigger Buffre and get some really interesting results that way :puf_bigsmile:
Excellent point. You could use the different drum gate outs of Beat Map or Drum Sequencer through different trigger inputs of Trigater (each set to a different gate length) to simulate holding the Buffre Manual Trigger down for different lengths of time.

Chi-Individual

22 Dec 2022

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check out Trigate and Propulsion. I was using DS because I was interested in how the ratchets would work with it. Now which all of your responses I’m wondering if a ratcheted gate signal would be to fast to notice. I didn’t need it for any musical uses, just wanted to experiment to see what would happen. I’m still curious though since Buffre has just been collecting dust in rack.

• Information