Bassline Generator 1.1.0 Update

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
arnigretar

08 Dec 2022

GREAT update. Whoop whoop! Thanks :) looking forward to the stream as well <3
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

RTFX

08 Dec 2022

I havent read this whole thread, so my apologies if the subject already has been discussed and im late to the party.
But i updated my BG today and it doesnt appear in reason no more after launching. It says i need to be online otherwise certain RE’s cant be used.
In this case the BG.
I always create my tracks offline and never had this before. And there have been quite some updates in my rack the past years.
Can someone help me out?
Where am i going wrong?
All my tracks on my YouTube channel⬇️ https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLK0j ... P0EoiuUkNO

BRIGGS

08 Dec 2022

RTFX wrote:
08 Dec 2022
I havent read this whole thread, so my apologies if the subject already has been discussed and im late to the party.
But i updated my BG today and it doesnt appear in reason no more after launching. It says i need to be online otherwise certain RE’s cant be used.
In this case the BG.
I always create my tracks offline and never had this before. And there have been quite some updates in my rack the past years.
Can someone help me out?
Where am i going wrong?
Has your system been deauthorized? I'd check that first.
r11s

joeyluck

08 Dec 2022

RTFX wrote:
08 Dec 2022
In this case the BG.
Can someone help me out?
Where am i going wrong?
Do you own the RE or do you subscribe through Reason+?

RTFX

08 Dec 2022

joeyluck wrote:
08 Dec 2022
RTFX wrote:
08 Dec 2022
In this case the BG.
Can someone help me out?
Where am i going wrong?
I own it
All my tracks on my YouTube channel⬇️ https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLK0j ... P0EoiuUkNO

joeyluck

08 Dec 2022

RTFX wrote:
08 Dec 2022
joeyluck wrote:
08 Dec 2022

I own it
You may just need to run Authorizer. You could try a sync all.

MuttReason

08 Dec 2022

Also, another great video by Ryan. Love his energy and creativity. And he used the Reason DAW throughout too, which wins extra special bonus points :clap:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Dec 2022

joeyluck wrote:
08 Dec 2022
RTFX wrote:
08 Dec 2022

I own it
Yeah. It’s a bug. Usually happens when beta licenses get updated to full licenses. Only way to fix it is to sync all. Sometimes a few times. It’s a total pain if you’ve got a load of REs in your account that you don’t want installed.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

09 Dec 2022

MrFigg wrote:
09 Dec 2022
joeyluck wrote:
08 Dec 2022

Yeah. It’s a bug. Usually happens when beta licenses get updated to full licenses. Only way to fix it is to sync all. Sometimes a few times. It’s a total pain if you’ve got a load of REs in your account that you don’t want installed.
I think another thing to try is to delete the RE and reinstall. Or try deleting the .cache files from the RackExtensions folder, which should prompt the license to update.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Dec 2022

joeyluck wrote:
09 Dec 2022
MrFigg wrote:
09 Dec 2022

I think another thing to try is to delete the RE and reinstall. Or try deleting the .cache files from the RackExtensions folder, which should prompt the license to update.
From experience that doesn’t work but I guess it is worth trying.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

09 Dec 2022

RTFX wrote:
08 Dec 2022
joeyluck wrote:
08 Dec 2022

I own it
Have you tried updating your offline Rack Extension license on your computer with the MANAGE RACK EXTENSION LICENSE button on the Rack Extensions tab of your My Products page?

RTFX

09 Dec 2022

Thanks a lot you guys!
Sync all did the trick.
I am back in business!
Have a great weekend!

artotaku

10 Dec 2022

Great update. Just wished that you could go lower than 16 steps. I know it has been talked about in the BLG live stream that the recorded bassline sequences might not be so much useful with fewer steps but still I´m doing more techno style stuff with odd steps 5, 7, 12, etc and BLG would be my goto device for basses. So why not add it?

buddard
RE Developer

10 Dec 2022

artotaku wrote:
10 Dec 2022
Great update. Just wished that you could go lower than 16 steps. I know it has been talked about in the BLG live stream that the recorded bassline sequences might not be so much useful with fewer steps but still I´m doing more techno style stuff with odd steps 5, 7, 12, etc and BLG would be my goto device for basses. So why not add it?
We really wanted to do this, but unfortunately it wasn't possible due to problems with backwards compatibility.

challism

10 Dec 2022

buddard wrote:
10 Dec 2022
artotaku wrote:
10 Dec 2022
We really wanted to do this, but unfortunately it wasn't possible due to problems with backwards compatibility.
Wouldn't a restart/reset trigger button (and corresponding CV input) be a solution to this issue without compromising backwards compatibility? I think that would be a nice addition. Then users could retrigger BLG to restart after 5, 7, 12 steps, etc. More work for the user, but at least it gives them the control. The only other way around this limitation is to bounce to track and edit in the sequencer. That would make an excellent 1.1.1 update. :D
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

buddard
RE Developer

10 Dec 2022

challism wrote:
10 Dec 2022
buddard wrote:
10 Dec 2022

Wouldn't a restart/reset trigger button (and corresponding CV input) be a solution to this issue without compromising backwards compatibility? I think that would be a nice addition. Then users could retrigger BLG to restart after 5, 7, 12 steps, etc. More work for the user, but at least it gives them the control. The only other way around this limitation is to bounce to track and edit in the sequencer.
In terms of workarounds you can already trigger BLG to restart if you set it to Key mode. You can either create a clip in the main sequencer of any length you want, or insert a player like Sequences or Pattern Mutator before it and experiment with the length on those. :puf_smile:

challism

10 Dec 2022

artotaku wrote: stuff about steps
buddard wrote:
10 Dec 2022
In terms of workarounds you can already trigger BLG to restart if you set it to Key mode. You can either create a clip in the main sequencer of any length you want, or insert a player like Sequences or Pattern Mutator before it and experiment with the length on those. :puf_smile:
Well, there you go. All you can really do is retrigger for fewer than 16 steps. That new shift feature could also come in very handy for variations. Or do 7-step techno producers dislike variations? ;)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

artotaku

10 Dec 2022

buddard wrote:
10 Dec 2022
challism wrote:
10 Dec 2022

Wouldn't a restart/reset trigger button (and corresponding CV input) be a solution to this issue without compromising backwards compatibility? I think that would be a nice addition. Then users could retrigger BLG to restart after 5, 7, 12 steps, etc. More work for the user, but at least it gives them the control. The only other way around this limitation is to bounce to track and edit in the sequencer.
Thanks for the tip. That´ll do for now. In additon to this I´d like to mention since I want to transpose BLG with root note out of Chord Sequencer some more steps required:
- Connect CV out of Chord Sequencer root note to Transpose CV in of Sequences (glad it has that input!)
- set Sequences to Transpose by CV.
- set a note on C3 in Sequences with length e. g. 32 steps but use the Length Locator to control the step length. Why? Because you can control the step length by MIDI controller but not note length (at least not step wise)

This shows that CV inputs on devices that you´d never used come in handy at some point in time :-)

Btw, the new feature in BLG to shift steps backwards now also makes it possible to use the Variators in the above setup scenario.

buddard
RE Developer

10 Dec 2022

artotaku wrote:
10 Dec 2022
buddard wrote:
10 Dec 2022

Thanks for the tip. That´ll do for now. In additon to this I´d like to mention since I want to transpose BLG with root note out of Chord Sequencer some more steps required:
- Connect CV out of Chord Sequencer root note to Transpose CV in of Sequences (glad it has that input!)
- set a note on C3 in Sequences with length e. g. 32 steps but use the Length Locator to control the step length. Why? Because you can control the step length by MIDI controller but not note length (at least not step wise)

This shows that CV inputs on devices that you´d never used come in handy at some point in time :-)

Btw, the new feature in BLG to shift steps backwards now also makes it possible to use the Variators in the above setup scenario.
You can still connect Chord Sequencer CV out to directly to BLG CV in if you disable Pitch via MIDI from Sequences.
There's a subtle difference there since you are now able to transpose the bassline in sync with Chord Sequencer instead of having to wait for the next BLG cycle to start (which may or may not be what you want). :puf_smile:

Billy+

10 Dec 2022

Any chance of
  • Pitch bias knob for the variators?
  • Negative values favour descending pitches
  • Positive favours ascending pitches
    (independent on / off beat)
As always please add 128 steps - when I trailed BLG not once did I use it for basslines ;)

it would be really handy if after copying to another pattern slot that the manual override disappeared and you could use the options knobs again :thumbup:

Also it would definitely be appreciated if after an update that the trial timer got reset so we could assess if the changes suit our needs.... :D

crimsonwarlock

11 Dec 2022

Billy+ wrote:
10 Dec 2022
Also it would definitely be appreciated if after an update that the trial timer got reset so we could assess if the changes suit our needs.... :D
+1

I trialed it before and decided that it wasn't for me. With the new additions, it does appeal more to me, but now I run the risk of buying it and finding out I still don't like what I get from it. We should be able to trial stuff after it gets major additional features. I seem to remember some third party dev having the trial reset on a product after a major update, so it looks to be possible.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

PhillipOrdonez

11 Dec 2022

challism wrote:
10 Dec 2022
artotaku wrote: stuff about steps
buddard wrote:
10 Dec 2022
Well, there you go. All you can really do is retrigger for fewer than 16 steps. That new shift feature could also come in very handy for variations. Or do 7-step techno producers dislike variations? ;)
As a 6-step techno producer, I'm offended. Can't imagine how 2-step producers must be feeling right now. #cancelchallism

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Dec 2022

3 chords E, A, B
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

artotaku

11 Dec 2022

buddard wrote:
10 Dec 2022
artotaku wrote:
10 Dec 2022

You can still connect Chord Sequencer CV out to directly to BLG CV in if you disable Pitch via MIDI from Sequences.
There's a subtle difference there since you are now able to transpose the bassline in sync with Chord Sequencer instead of having to wait for the next BLG cycle to start (which may or may not be what you want). :puf_smile:
ah right, thanks.

mimidancer

11 Dec 2022

buddard wrote:
10 Dec 2022
challism wrote:
10 Dec 2022

you could just record the output and then cut the sequence to any length you desire. It is not rocket surgery.

• Information