Creating Custom Chord Sequencer Sets

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
DAnthony5757

29 Nov 2022

Hello everyone! I tried to make some custom chord sets last night. Watched Chris Reed Beats tutorial. In the tutorial he added a Scales and Chords Player to the Chord Sequencer and went to Chord Sequencer to learn the chords from Scales and Chords. I did multiple sets last night. F Dorian, C Minor, D Dorian, Bb Minor. I saved the custom patch to my desktop. When I drag it over to Chord Sequencer it's blank with none of the chords. Empty! Can anyone tell me what I may have did wrong or how I'm supposed to properly create them and save them. Obviously, I did something wrong. Need some help!

joeyluck

29 Nov 2022

When you created the chord sets, did you exit the Edit Chord mode first? The settings and changes won't be finalized until you do so.

Another guess would be that perhaps you have a Pattern selected that isn't the Pattern in which the chord sets were saved?

And final guess, did you for sure capture the chord sets with the MIDI Learn function? With version 1.1, MIDI Learn is now a separate function of Edit Chord and is not enabled by default. But that should be pretty clear if it's not on.

Hope that helps. If it's none of these, feel free to share your patches.

DJMaytag

09 Dec 2022

Does R+ have any additional presets/patches for Chord Sequencer? I’m a bit shocked at how little emphasis there is on minor chords in CS.

jam-s

09 Dec 2022

There are some R+ packs focused on Chord Sequencer. They share a common design theme incorporating a subset of the 16 round circles from the CS interface.

challism

10 Dec 2022

DJMaytag wrote:
09 Dec 2022
Does R+ have any additional presets/patches for Chord Sequencer? I’m a bit shocked at how little emphasis there is on minor chords in CS.
There aren't a crazy amount of CS-based soundpacks in R+, but there are some, of course. I'm not sure how much they are focusing on minor chords, though you will likely find both major and relative minors found in each chordset.

You could pretty easily edit the chordsets by dropping the 3rds down a half step to turn the majors into a minors. But those newly modified minors are unlikely to sound great with the rest of the chordset (you could possibly stumble upon a very happy accident, though). I suppose you could transpose the original majors to make them a suitable match for the newly edited (relative) minors.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

DJMaytag

10 Dec 2022

It appears as if the “recommendations” do still appear, though I don’t know much about how all that works. I took one of the major chord sets and started modifying it, and yeah… the second chord turned diminished and thus kinda ugly sounding. Guess it’s going to take some tweaking to figure it out, plus some cutting and pasting from other chord sets.

challism

10 Dec 2022

DJMaytag wrote:
10 Dec 2022
It appears as if the “recommendations” do still appear, though I don’t know much about how all that works. I took one of the major chord sets and started modifying it, and yeah… the second chord turned diminished and thus kinda ugly sounding. Guess it’s going to take some tweaking to figure it out, plus some cutting and pasting from other chord sets.
First thing to do is to find the root of the chord; then it's easy to find the 3rd. Flatten that to turn the major chord minor. Note that not all chords are going to have a 3rd; so you can't just flatten the next note up from the root. Flattening notes other than the 3rd will start giving you other chord types (as you found out). Also worth noting that not all chords have the root as the lowest bass note (such is the case for inverted/slash chords). An easy thing to help you do this is to look at a piano chord chart for reference.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CH ... =606&dpr=1
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

DJMaytag

10 Dec 2022

I understand music theory decently well, so long as I stay within a key. It’s knowing how to go beyond triads where things fall apart a bit for me, so CS has been amazing for knowing where to sprinkle in some minor 7ths, add 9/11, etc.

One of my biggest gripes about “quantizing” to scales is how you get kind stuck in melodic minor and not being able to use the dominant V chord on occasion. Sometimes I’ll stick with the minor v until a certain point where I want the V.

• Information