POLYRES Resonator [T2ON]

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
turn2on
RE Developer

08 Nov 2022

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... resonator/

POLYRES was inspired by the Resonators section in one of the first polysynths - Polymoog™ synthesizer.
Moog_Polymoog_Synthesizer.jpg
Moog_Polymoog_Synthesizer.jpg (488.49 KiB) Viewed 3504 times
Polymoog 203A
Polymoog.jpeg
Polymoog.jpeg (290.34 KiB) Viewed 3504 times
Resonators section

The resonators consist of three parallel filters, globally switchable between HP, LP and BP modes.
Three individual resonant filters are band-limited, each with their own frequency range (LOW 60-300 Hz, MED 300-1500 Hz, HIGH 1500-7500 Hz).
Turning up Emphasis for each band creates individual peaks (resonances), called Resonators.
While the effect sounds interesting, Resonators in the early era of polysyths were 6 db/oct filters that passed too many harmonics, resulting in a buzzy sound, even at maximum resonance. This isn’t very useful for formant sounds because there aren’t any overlapping frequencies between the bands.

POLYRES has the same three resonant filters with Cutoff, Emphasis and Gain controls for Low, Medium and High bands. POLYRES also includes original HighPass, LowPass and BandPass modes.
Plus Slope modes (12 dB/oct or 24 dB/oct) which help incoming signals sound more clear and stable.

POLYRES resonator are an exclusive audio effect, designed in the earliest era of audio processing in the synthesizer industry. Every sound at “The Model” by Kraftwerk makes use of the resonator section of the original synthesizer.

POLYRES audio processor is a 3-band resonant filter system, which reproduces the character of the musical sound used by many musicians and allows you to capture that nostalgic sound of 70s.

Try out this legendary 3-band resonator today.

motuscott

08 Nov 2022

Do these people even sleep?
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

turn2on
RE Developer

08 Nov 2022

Don't worry, made in a pause on a very small vacation
moalla asked in MuRFA24 topic to make it, we make it for Reason, because it was been interesting in process of creation, and finally in signal modifications in the rack.
.. hey hey.. its not the last resonator device. We now work hard on our final (I believe) resonator RE :D
More Resonators, more character for raw signals.
Bob Moog started with resonators as effects for synths as additional units, and we like resonators to use in the same way now.

About Polymoog synth Resonator section..
A large ensemble system called the Constellation. It was to include two keyboard synthesizers, the polyphonic Apollo and monophonic Lyra, and the Taurus foot pedalboard synthesizer. Although the Constellation project never made it to production... "Apollo Polyphonic Synthesizer" went on to become the Polymoog.
More interesting, that Apollo/Polymoog project did not directly involve Bob Moog and was instead mostly designed by Dave Luce at Moog Music.
Dave Luce used LP/BP/HP filter types with 6 dB/oct Slope.. that make some effort to the synthesizer sound. Sometimes it was been unusable because 6 dB/oct slope affected to the signal with enough noises. So, POLYRES used more stable and usable, switchable 12 and 24 dB/oct slope mode for better results.
.. but we try later back to experiments with 6 dB/oct too..)

Catblack

08 Nov 2022

Sweet to see this. I built a Polymoog resonator eurorack clone about a year or so ago.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

rorystorm

08 Nov 2022

this is cool!!
How possible would it be to have a wet/dry knob?

edit, trying it out, put a drum loop through it, wow it really does sound like Kraftwerk. Amazing, all my electro dreams suddenly coming true. nice work :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

challism

09 Nov 2022

rorystorm wrote:
08 Nov 2022
this is cool!!

edit, trying it out, put a drum loop through it, wow it really does sound like Kraftwerk. Amazing, all my electro dreams suddenly coming true. nice work :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
Yeah, a wet/dry knob would be a great addition to this. I'm surprised it doesn't have one because Turn2On usually has wet/dry knobs on their effects. Maybe it will be added later; they are pretty great at doing updates and listening to user requests.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

crimsonwarlock

09 Nov 2022

Murfa24 got me hooked on special filters, I got STRNGFLT soon after, and now this one... no need to trial, instant buy for me.

I want to add that Turn2On is one of the devs that is setting very acceptable and sane prices on its products, with nice intro discounts on top :clap:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

arnigretar

09 Nov 2022

Woke up, read around on reasontalk...had coffee..hadn't finished it and was reading the last two comments here and I thought you guys were talking about 'MuRFA24 Multi Resonance Filter Array 24'...but scrolling up I see it's a new device! And again, third time in a row, it's an instant purchase for a T2ON device :) well done!
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

arnigretar

09 Nov 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
09 Nov 2022
Murfa24 got me hooked on special filters, I got STRNGFLT soon after, and now this one... no need to trial, instant buy for me.
Same here!

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

rorystorm

09 Nov 2022

challism wrote:
09 Nov 2022
rorystorm wrote:
08 Nov 2022
this is cool!!

Yeah, a wet/dry knob would be a great addition to this. I'm surprised it doesn't have one because Turn2On usually has wet/dry knobs on their effects. Maybe it will be added later; they are pretty great at doing updates and listening to user requests.
Yup and trim knobs on the back are missing but it doesn't matter because THIS DEVICE IS REALLY GREAT.

Spent the afternoon playing with it to extremely satisfying results. I'll post in the musics forum later on when I upload to my bandcamp.

Also super reasonable price, well worth it.

A couple of things I worked out.

It sounds best if you modulate the cutoffs with an envelope. I set up a combi with three Blamsoft envelope generators but you could probably do the same thing with a Thor? But that seems like the best way to get that thwuppy Kraftwerk sound. Anyway I laid it the Polyres on the drums and then triggered the envelopes with a CV playertap. Sounds fantastic with a fast attack, and the good thing about Movement is you can automate the sustain and so I played with that a bit too.

Second thing is that turning the resonance up full results in quite a musical sounding allllllllllllmost a note, but not quite - it's not self oscillating but it definitely resonates at quite a specific frequency with a, you know, musical quality. Sorry, it's been a long day and I've had a couple of wines so I'm not quite as articulate as I'd like to be.......

Anyway, I dug out a chart of notes => frequencies in hertz, which you can find here - https://pages.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html
and set all the cutoffs to match the root notes of the chords of each track I've been working on. I dunno, does anyone else do this? I never have before but now it seems superfuckingobvious. A couple of them moved around a bit so I automated the cut offs to match which was a bit tedious until I realised I could just cut and paste from the webpage.... tedious kinda like this paragraph. Sounds pretty good though and the payoff was that snares, in particular, ended up making another melody and my flatmates had to endure me being like, WE....ARE...THE ROBOTS. DOOT. DE DE DE. DOOT. THWUP.

you get the picture.

Yup. tl:dr, nice work t2on, keep it up!!!!

Neo

10 Nov 2022

Will check it out soon..

:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

crimsonwarlock

14 Nov 2022

turn2on wrote:
13 Nov 2022
Update is finished and coming soon
:clap:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Re8et
Competition Winner

16 Nov 2022

What keeps you back from creating the full polymoog recreation at this point???
Is it in your todo list?? Looks cool!

Re8et
Competition Winner

16 Nov 2022

turn2on wrote:
13 Nov 2022
Thank you for opinions and wishes.
Update is finished and coming soon
I wish the big Polymoog with 8 or 10 voices would be the next big deal then :D :clap: :re:

Re8et
Competition Winner

16 Nov 2022

Catblack wrote:
08 Nov 2022
Sweet to see this. I built a Polymoog resonator eurorack clone about a year or so ago.
links?? Can we have a snip peek at it??? :thumbup:

turn2on
RE Developer

17 Nov 2022

Polymoog is machine with nuances and technical engineering faults, like a noises that affected to the filters sections, resonators and more.
We have big quantity of products that finished up to 90%, but storing them about 2-5 years for some needed changes. Not have plans before about Polymoog realisation.
We currently on the wave of resonators)) We try to look at this in next projects.

turn2on
RE Developer

22 Nov 2022

Polyres 1.1.0 update:

- Dry/Wet knob (set mix levels between the Polyres FX processed signal and dry incoming signal).
- Dry (incoming) signal level
- Wet (processed) signal level
- Main master output level
- Drive knob (overdrive with compression)
- new Slope mode: 6 db/oct
- CV trims for all CV-inputs
- GUI changes (selectors of PassMode and Slope changed to the displays)

crimsonwarlock

22 Nov 2022

turn2on wrote:
22 Nov 2022
Polyres 1.1.0 update:
Nice. Thanks.
-------

moneykube

22 Nov 2022

turn2on wrote:
22 Nov 2022
Polyres 1.1.0 update:
awesome :puf_smile: and thanks for the quick update !
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

arnigretar

22 Nov 2022

Lovely! Thanks :)

rorystorm

22 Nov 2022

Fantastic!

rorystorm

23 Nov 2022

really like the additions to the GUI as well, nice work

steff3

23 Nov 2022

Hmm, now that we have new controls on the UI and therefore functionality -> would it be convenient to have CV-inputs for them on the back? (e.g. for mix and drive?)

Thanks

• Information