Microtonal Combinator bug: Did Ochen K. Go Dark?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Whoopdee

04 Nov 2022

I used to just create 8 separate combinator instances and then create a bus group to add some reverb but I got tired of doing this every time because 99% of my projects are microtonal, so I decided to make a combinator, but I noticed there is a bug. For some reason Microtune doesn't like to work properly when you have multiple instances of it inside a single combinator, when you play all the notes from C to B, sometimes two notes will be the same.

The Patch:

https://mega.nz/file/dZIRVZjR#MPPj62IeI ... z4BGYSdIvA

I found a solution for this but it's basically creating 61+ instances of the same synth and restricting them per-note within the combinator editor. It's way more tedious and takes me days, sometimes a whole week, and it's taxing on the CPU if I use synths that use more than 1% of CPU. It's also restricting because I'd like to have full control over the synths with the combinator but it's limited to 32 knobs and sometimes I need 40 or so to feel satisfied.

Best,

G. P. T.

challism

04 Nov 2022

Damn shame, too. Ochen K had some great REs. I know he has been missed by many users.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Aosta

04 Nov 2022

If I remember he had a bit of a fall out with users over things like bug fixes and a bad feeling with the GUI of his 4MER synth. Didn't he ask users to come up with designs as a sort of competition and then ignored them all and didn't acknowledge all the work they had done or even throw a few free licences out for effort?
Shame he quit because some of his REs were pretty unique.
Tend the flame

QVprod

04 Nov 2022

He left after VST support got added

Faastwalker

04 Nov 2022

Yes, real shame he's not making RE's any more. Some fantastic devices. I highly recommend the EDS06 Drum Synth;

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... rum-synth/

Aosta

04 Nov 2022

Faastwalker wrote:
04 Nov 2022
Yes, real shame he's not making RE's any more. Some fantastic devices. I highly recommend the EDS06 Drum Synth;
His Chip64 synth is also a lot of fun to use, he was on the cutting edge of RE development when it first came out and pretty sure 4MER was the first waveshaper RE?

Oh also EDS06 + Beatmap :thumbup:
Tend the flame

Loque

05 Nov 2022

Aosta wrote:
04 Nov 2022
Faastwalker wrote:
04 Nov 2022
His Chip64 synth is also a lot of fun to use, he was on the cutting edge of RE development when it first came out and pretty sure 4MER was the first waveshaper RE?

Oh also EDS06 + Beatmap :thumbup:
Yep, but it was full of bugs and ppl acted pretty harsh and Ochen gave up.
Reason12, Win10

Whoopdee

05 Nov 2022

Ouch...

ljekio

05 Nov 2022

I don't remember what kind of bugs were in the OchenK microtuner, but I made my own microtuner based on the Zwork selector.
Today I think one could wait for a microtonal player (but from where?)
Or using the same Selector.
The main problem is necessary to use CV for each device separately.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Nov 2022

Loads of VST instruments which can have each note individually microtuned right?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Whoopdee

05 Nov 2022

ljekio wrote:
05 Nov 2022
I don't remember what kind of bugs were in the OchenK microtuner, but I made my own microtuner based on the Zwork selector.
Today I think one could wait for a microtonal player (but from where?)
Or using the same Selector.
The main problem is necessary to use CV for each device separately.
Would be interested in trying this method, your dropbox links are broken however: https://ozdyx.wordpress.com/patches/microtuner/

Best,

G

ljekio

05 Nov 2022

MrFigg wrote:
05 Nov 2022
Loads of VST instruments which can have each note individually microtuned right?
Yep, through Pitch Bend CV input.
I like use OSC Pitch socket, but it presented only some stock devices.
But both situations need use only monophonic (otherwise new note will lays to previous).

ljekio

05 Nov 2022

Whoopdee wrote:
05 Nov 2022

Would be interested in trying this method, your dropbox links are broken however: https://ozdyx.wordpress.com/patches/microtuner/

Best,

G
Only conception is here.
Haven't done this in a very long time
Ljekio's Microtuner.zip
(148.59 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

kuhliloach

05 Nov 2022

I love my Ochen K stuff but should have bailed out of the scene the very moment he did. Ochen knew something. I've been sitting on these unusable plug-ins for years now and they still remain totally unusable in my Apple Silicon Logic Pro environment.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Nov 2022

Faastwalker wrote:
04 Nov 2022

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... rum-synth/

That one looks kinda fun. I trialed it a long time ago so I can't retrial it now unfortunately.
It just looks like using it would yield very different results compared to the way I normally create my drums.
For those of you that have it, is it buggy?

I have Carve and Chip64 from Ochen K. Never had any problems/bugs with Carve and I've been using it regularly for years. Chip64 is a cool synth full of charm, but it's for sure the buggiest RE I own.

Aosta

05 Nov 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
05 Nov 2022

That one looks kinda fun. I trialed it a long time ago so I can't retrial it now unfortunately.
It just looks like using it would yield very different results compared to the way I normally create my drums.
Personally I've not noticed any bugs with it. I'd say it is a little awkward to use and fine tune because of the size of the dials especially picking waveforms but you get some really unique percussion out of it, it is sort of microtonic meets chiptune.
Tend the flame

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Nov 2022

Aosta wrote:
05 Nov 2022
TritoneAddiction wrote:
05 Nov 2022

Personally I've not noticed any bugs with it. I'd say it is a little awkward to use and fine tune because of the size of the dials especially picking waveforms but you get some really unique percussion out of it, it is sort of microtonic meets chiptune.
There are some bugs and that’s why I haven’t used it for ages. I think it’s when trying to assign drums to different notes on the MIDI keyboard. I’ll need to check.

Edit: here’s one problem I had.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7521685&hilit=Ochen+k
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Whoopdee

05 Nov 2022

ljekio wrote:
05 Nov 2022
Whoopdee wrote:
05 Nov 2022

Best,

G
Only conception is here.
Haven't done this in a very long time
Ljekio's Microtuner.zip
Thanks for sharing, but the problem with this method is that it required me to purchase another Ochen K device and I don't want to support a developer that is not longer fixing their bugs in existing products...

ljekio

05 Nov 2022

Whoopdee wrote:
05 Nov 2022

Thanks for sharing, but the problem with this method is that it required me to purchase another Ochen K device and I don't want to support a developer that is not longer fixing their bugs in existing products...
Why? Only Zvork SL-1 Selector there needed, not OchenK.
Upper Combi with OchenK's Tuner you can ignore.
For diatonic correcting and shifting you can use Scale & Chords and receive CVs by L/Panda's CVPT.

ljekio

05 Nov 2022

P.s. Found few patches for it
Lje_Microtu_Patches.zip
(19.32 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
P.p.s. Its work for OSC Pitch socket or Pitch Bend (with range = 1)

Worker 13

05 Nov 2022

Don't know if this will help, but I threw together a Europa Microtuner combinator.
It only works with Reason 12 and you can only get EDO above 12 notes.
You should be able to do the same thing with the old combinator.

There's a one minute youtube video if you want to see what it does.

ljekio

06 Nov 2022

Worker 13 wrote:
05 Nov 2022
How? Can you post screens of settings? Dont have R12 yet.

Whoopdee

06 Nov 2022

ljekio wrote:
05 Nov 2022
Whoopdee wrote:
05 Nov 2022

Why? Only Zvork SL-1 Selector there needed, not OchenK.
Upper Combi with OchenK's Tuner you can ignore.
For diatonic correcting and shifting you can use Scale & Chords and receive CVs by L/Panda's CVPT.
This works great! Thank you, great work! I like to save different tunings, I'm guessing this is possible since Zvork SL-1 has preset saving option.
Worker 13 wrote:
05 Nov 2022
Don't know if this will help, but I threw together a Europa Microtuner combinator.
It only works with Reason 12 and you can only get EDO above 12 notes.

There's a one minute youtube video if you want to see what it does.
I came across your video when searching the internet for Reason + Microtuning. Really interesting if you want to work with EDO's over 12 notes, but I mostly work with 5 or 7 notes/under 12 EDO anyways, I just like to retune them a bit.

As much as I'd like for Reason to have native support for Microtuning/MPE, there is something rewarding about using workarounds which give you more control over each note. Unless a synth developer comes out with multiple auxiliary-send effects for each note/voice, I think I'm happy crafting my own way.

• Information