radical piano is actually good man

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Billy+

18 Oct 2022

Termigator wrote:
18 Oct 2022
if you repackage it do you think more people would like id8 lol
It doesn't need repackaging, it's a great secret weapon just the way it is.

Add a couple of the little reds a stereo imager and an mclass eq to the channel and I'm happier with it than the 99 bucks I spend on radkeys and processed piano res....

mcatalao
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2022

selig wrote:
18 Oct 2022
Termigator wrote:
18 Oct 2022
so id8 grand piano is reason pianos Steinway d close mic i think, so i use that for more classical
radical has a nice busted up home piano sound
Yes, it is exactly that as far as I can tell. :)
I can confirm when record came out, some reason piano patches were porte into id8.

Termigator

18 Oct 2022

mcatalao wrote:
18 Oct 2022
selig wrote:
18 Oct 2022

Yes, it is exactly that as far as I can tell. :)
I can confirm when record came out, some reason piano patches were porte into id8.
im gonna do a post about it

mcatalao
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2022

Termigator wrote:
18 Oct 2022

not really affordable reason pianos now is it though
I'd say it's more a question of availability than affordability...

Termigator

18 Oct 2022

mcatalao wrote:
18 Oct 2022
Termigator wrote:
18 Oct 2022

u can buy the combo refill stll

Termigator

18 Oct 2022

mcatalao wrote:
18 Oct 2022
Termigator wrote:
18 Oct 2022

u can buy the combo refill stll
Piano .rar

joeyluck

18 Oct 2022

I like quite a few pianos and each offers a little bit of a different sound. The pianos at the top of my list are the Abbey Road Challen and Mrs. Mills, Spitfire's OPW, and Rad Piano.

I really enjoy pianos that can feel like I'm sitting at a piano and can also fit nicely in a mix. The ones on my list, including Rad Piano check those boxes. I really like pianos with character!

I have found that when I use pristine concert grand pianos, even the meticulously sampled ones, within a mix, they can be hard to differentiate from a common workstation grand. Depends on the piece/mix of course and whether or not it is just piano. And obviously you can tell when you're playing it, but just speaking about the mix.

One of my favorite patches in Rad Piano is After Dinner Gatherings. That's one that sounds like I'm sitting at a piano in somebody's house. I like that. And then of course many of the Production Pianos are great for browsing to find the best one for a mix and the Radical Pianos category is great for scoring.

Instead of creating the Processed Pianos RE (from the Reason Pianos ReFill), I wish they would've just added those pianos to expand Radical Piano. I like its interface much better. The interface of Processed Pianos is funky IMO and it never clicked with me. It's similar to Scenic, where the idea was cool, but the interface is just clunky and doesn't feel well thought out. I think in part for those reasons, you don't see much talk of Processed Pianos and Scenic around here.

Rad Piano though is very well done. One of the first and still one of the best.

Termigator

18 Oct 2022

joeyluck wrote:
18 Oct 2022
I like quite a few pianos and each offers a little bit of a different sound. The pianos at the top of my list are the Abbey Road Challen and Mrs. Mills, Spitfire's OPW, and Rad Piano.

I really enjoy pianos that can feel like I'm sitting at a piano and can also fit nicely in a mix. The ones on my list, including Rad Piano check those boxes. I really like pianos with character!

I have found that when I use pristine concert grand pianos, even the meticulously sampled ones, within a mix, they can be hard to differentiate from a common workstation grand. Depends on the piece/mix of course and whether or not it is just piano. And obviously you can tell when you're playing it, but just speaking about the mix.

One of my favorite patches in Rad Piano is After Dinner Gatherings. That's one that sounds like I'm sitting at a piano in somebody's house. I like that. And then of course many of the Production Pianos are great for browsing to find the best one for a mix and the Radical Pianos category is great for scoring.

Instead of creating the Processed Pianos RE (from the Reason Pianos ReFill), I wish they would've just added those pianos to expand Radical Piano. I like its interface much better. The interface of Processed Pianos is funky IMO and it never clicked with me. It's similar to Scenic, where the idea was cool, but the interface is just clunky and doesn't feel well thought out. I think in part for those reasons, you don't see much talk of Processed Pianos and Scenic around here.

yeah see i’m with you i mainly like upright sounds slightly out of tune
as those are the readily avalable pianos
never played a grand really
so i like those
grand sound too clean but i do like the one on my digital piano but i wish they put an upright sample in there
i guess that’s why me and you like rad we don’t want clean

Termigator

18 Oct 2022

joeyluck wrote:
18 Oct 2022

is spitfires opw a felt ? is it an upright ?

joeyluck

18 Oct 2022

Termigator wrote:
18 Oct 2022
joeyluck wrote:
18 Oct 2022

Yes to both I believe. It's soft, but not too soft IMO. And OPW is a toolkit with a collection of instruments, but the piano is the standout to me. Definitely one of the better $29 libraries they offer. I bought Epic Brass and Epic Choir and both sound nice, but are pretty limited in comparison to what you get with OPW.

Termigator

18 Oct 2022

joeyluck wrote:
18 Oct 2022
Termigator wrote:
18 Oct 2022

Yes to both I believe. It's soft, but not too soft IMO. And OPW is a toolkit with a collection of instruments, but the piano is the standout to me. Definitely one of the better $29 libraries they offer. I bought Epic Brass and Epic Choir and both sound nice, but are pretty limited in comparison to what you get with OPW.
i was looking at that but as i can’t demo
i don’t know what i’m
getting really , i know they have videos but you need to have a play really , orchestral tools free felt spindle is really nice , but i like the option to take the felt off and have the raw upright option aswell that’s what i’m
looking for at the moment really not more felt pianos as spindle is nice , and yeah all
spitfire plugin stuff is quite limited i like the orchestral tools plugin better so was looking at what they offer
but like u said radical pianos interface is so cool , it would be good if they added more pianos in , i also have xln audio pianos , but i like the nice old uprights that people give away or you find in a school that imperfect sound , clean grand has its place but it doesn’t have soul like those uprights for me , and i’m
not even a good player , but i just like the sound
can’t beat piano synths are nice, but pads and piano for me all day , cheers
all day

kitekrazy

19 Oct 2022

I think it's fine for dance genres where the quality of sound isn't of extreme importance. I have plenty of pianos and now I go for the ones that load quickly.

Chizmata

20 Oct 2022

reason piano RE's are surely good, but not necessarily as a real piano imitation.

Yonatan

20 Oct 2022

Radical Piano is very versatile but one need to know how to sculpt and must be gentle in use but sits nice in the mix. Works best if one use it with a keybed that has good feel and velocity response, as well as having a sustain pedal.
If just use it out of box with a bad midi-key-response, it can feel underwhelming and too clinky. That is why it is a bit underrated I guess. There are plugins that are more "beautiful" from the scratch and sounds lovely even with bad keyboard.
But Radical Piano is very good for pop music. So give it a chance, get to know it and it can become a very good friend.

Jackjackdaw

25 Oct 2022

I think you can run round in circles forever worrying about how ‘good’ something sounds in comparison to something else. I bought a crazy expensive acoustic guitar once because the tone of this one chord was so sweet, the other guitar I was weighing it up against couldn’t match it. But that guitar ended up being almost unplayable because it had this one super sweet spot in its sound that didn’t come across in day to day playing, I even tried changing my technique to try and bring it in to the zone but it just sounded off all the time. At the end of the day , if you find a sound that fits your groove then that is the best sound.

• Information