radical piano is actually good man

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Termigator

17 Oct 2022

I'm uninstalling. unnecessary vst
like xln audio and stuff because
reasons id8 grand and radical piano are actually really good

can some of you share some
patches of radical piano that you made
that your happy with ?
I'm gonna upload two basic ones that i done today that I've been playing
really like this piano
Attachments
Desktop.rar
(86.69 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

dvdrtldg

18 Oct 2022

I like it OK, but I can never get it to sit nicely in a mix. Seems to work best on its own with lots of processing, as a sort of "atmosphere" instrument rather than a regular piano-style piano

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2022

Bought it day it came out. Never liked it. Too thin. Needs effects after it to make it sound ok. Same as Rad Keys.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Steedus
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2022

Christ I think this came out 10 years ago as of August. *old fart*

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2022

Steedus wrote:
18 Oct 2022
Yep. Back in the day when there was like 7 REs in the shops and the only time there was a sale was when it was an intro price.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

18 Oct 2022

Steedus wrote:
18 Oct 2022
The first piano came out hundred years ago. Only old farts are using pianos, right?
Reason12, Win10

Termigator

18 Oct 2022

i don’t think it’s thin at all and u can beef it up
being someone who plays keys i actually like it

i’m gonna try use the soundbanks and refills instead of installing too much bloat

but i have a problem guys

my mid eq is swinging around when i play my casio privia keys ,
so i have to use a combinator atm any idea how to sort this problem out

Termigator

18 Oct 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
18 Oct 2022
I like it OK, but I can never get it to sit nicely in a mix. Seems to work best on its own with lots of processing, as a sort of "atmosphere" instrument rather than a regular piano-style piano
i like it more as an unperfect cinematic piano so your probably right for a quality pristine grand we have the id8 which is a reason pianos close mic
as told by selig ages ago

i also have the alan parsons grand which i think the id8 is probably better
i’m trying to come away from vst if need be

ekss
RE Developer

18 Oct 2022

Must admit that I wasn't super happy while trying it out and then I was watching this and realized how great it can sound... Came to the conclusion that it probably requires a good piano player to make it justice, and that I need to practice - or just stick to synthesizers 🙄

Termigator

18 Oct 2022

ekss wrote:
18 Oct 2022
Must admit that I wasn't super happy while trying it out and then I was watching this and realized how great it can sound... Came to the conclusion that it probably requires a good piano player to make it justice, and that I need to practice - or just stick to synthesizers 🙄

you need to mess around with it and stuff
i’m
not a good piano player like him
but i can play some
stuff and i like it

Termigator

18 Oct 2022

MrFigg wrote:
18 Oct 2022
Bought it day it came out. Never liked it. Too thin. Needs effects after it to make it sound ok. Same as Rad Keys.
i was looking at rad keys but theres loads of nice electric pianos in the factory bank

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2022

Termigator wrote:
18 Oct 2022
MrFigg wrote:
18 Oct 2022
i was looking at rad keys but theres loads of nice electric pianos in the factory bank
As far as Rhodes REs are concerned the Chris Griffin one would be your best bet.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

crimsonwarlock

18 Oct 2022

MrFigg wrote:
18 Oct 2022
As far as Rhodes REs are concerned the Chris Griffin one would be your best bet.
On my wishlist, waiting for Black Friday :puf_bigsmile: Although, admittedly, it is very fairly priced already :thumbup:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

huggermugger

18 Oct 2022

I've tried to like Radical Piano, but it always just sounds hard and feels dead. My go-to for acoustic piano has been Pianoteq for years.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 9.00.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 9.00.32 AM.png (593.42 KiB) Viewed 4295 times
Last edited by huggermugger on 18 Oct 2022, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
18 Oct 2022
MrFigg wrote:
18 Oct 2022
On my wishlist, waiting for Black Friday :puf_bigsmile: Although, admittedly, it is very fairly priced already :thumbup:
Same here :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Jac459

18 Oct 2022

Loque wrote:
18 Oct 2022
Steedus wrote:
18 Oct 2022
The first piano came out hundred years ago. Only old farts are using pianos, right?
So true... But then some old fats are cool...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

selig
RE Developer

18 Oct 2022

MrFigg wrote:
18 Oct 2022
For me "too thin" also means "can be instantly used in a dense mix" and as such has great value (same as Rad Keys which I like even more!).
If you need a classical concert grand sound, this is not it. I consider it more of a pop/commercial piano sound and it tends to fit right into a mix where piano is not necessarily driving the song.
Selig Audio, LLC

MuttReason

18 Oct 2022

huggermugger wrote:
18 Oct 2022
I've tried to like Radical Piano, but it always just sounds hard and feels dead. My go-to for acoustic piano has been Pianoteq for years.
I love Pianoteq, it is pretty amazing. That said, I’ve realised that Radical Piano can get very close to Pianoteq once I’ve dialled in the right velocity settings (so much of the feel of playing a modelled/sampled piano is down to how the keys *feel* when you’re playing dynamically). There is also something about the Radical Piano Upright with a more subdued Character setting and the ambient mic that is really special and evocative. Haven’t been able to get close to that kind of vibe with anything else. The Pianoteq Rhodes is also great although recently Chris Griffin’s S73 Rhodes has taken over EP duties for me, it is a brilliant RE and one of the best in the RS Shop IME.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2022

selig wrote:
18 Oct 2022
MrFigg wrote:
18 Oct 2022
For me "too thin" also means "can be instantly used in a dense mix" and as such has great value (same as Rad Keys which I like even more!).
If you need a classical concert grand sound, this is not it. I consider it more of a pop/commercial piano sound and it tends to fit right into a mix where piano is not necessarily driving the song.
Yes, but the sheer amount of stuff you can control in Radical Piano makes it a missed opportunity. I don't know what's behind it but i always feel the sounds are too "toy'ish", sound too plastic. Wich is a pitty because it could have been way more interesting than it is, specially wheh piano makes such a big part of my songs.

Same error was done with Processed pianos. They murdered RPI in a crappy RE. Maybe it works for aggressively processed pianos but if the instrument is a tad more exposed, the pedalling bugs make it unusable for me. :(

IMHO, Reason Pianos refill is still the best option, or something outside of reason's scope.

Termigator

18 Oct 2022

mcatalao wrote:
18 Oct 2022
selig wrote:
18 Oct 2022

Yes, but the sheer amount of stuff you can control in Radical Piano makes it a missed opportunity. I don't know what's behind it but i always feel the sounds are too "toy'ish", sound too plastic. Wich is a pitty because it could have been way more interesting than it is, specially wheh piano makes such a big part of my songs.

Same error was done with Processed pianos. They murdered RPI in a crappy RE. Maybe it works for aggressively processed pianos but if the instrument is a tad more exposed, the pedalling bugs make it unusable for me. :(

IMHO, Reason Pianos refill is still the best option, or something outside of reason's scope.
not really affordable reason pianos now is it though

Termigator

18 Oct 2022

selig wrote:
18 Oct 2022
MrFigg wrote:
18 Oct 2022
i done this on my friends com i don't own reason pianos but does that mean there the same patch? sound the same too me but i don't know if I'm doing that correct to compare

so id8 grand piano is reason pianos Steinway d close mic i think, so i use that for more classical
radical has a nice busted up home piano sound
Attachments
piano.png
piano.png (32.61 KiB) Viewed 4210 times
Last edited by Termigator on 18 Oct 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Billy+

18 Oct 2022

It would be nice if the velocity bug gets fixed at some point. (It's been identified for awhile now)

Termigator

18 Oct 2022

if you repackage it do you think more people would like id8 lol
Attachments
Steinway.rar
(48.37 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

selig
RE Developer

18 Oct 2022

Termigator wrote:
18 Oct 2022
so id8 grand piano is reason pianos Steinway d close mic i think, so i use that for more classical
Yes, it is exactly that as far as I can tell. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

Termigator

18 Oct 2022

selig wrote:
18 Oct 2022
Termigator wrote:
18 Oct 2022
Yes, it is exactly that as far as I can tell. :)
have no idea what the id8 upright piano is sound filtered maybe somewere in the factory bank

• Information