LaunchEon 1.1 in the shop + new bundles!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

01 Nov 2022

AbsentFriend wrote:
31 Oct 2022
Hi @Brian – great device!

A (hopefully small) request: When selecting a scene, would it be possible to send the switch-scene-CV even if the scene is already chosen in LaunchEon? Example scenario: I create a scene 1 where all players are off. Scenes 2 onward are playing any combination of patterns. I leave LaunchEon at scene 1 while editing a pattern in a connected player. If I then hit Run the player will play the currently selected pattern, even if I click Scene 1 in LaunchOn again. If I create a second "all-off" scene and alter between them, LaunchEon does not seem to send the CV anyway, unless it registers an actual pattern change, is that correct? And if so – is it by design?

Thanks again for a very useful RE.
Cheers.
Hi AbsentFriend,

Thanks for your kind words, it's always nice to hear that people are enjoying my stuff!

Wow, a great question for first thing in the morning too.

TL;DR - This is how plugins work, regardless of type, be it RE, VST, AU, AAX etc

So, first part of the problem is that CV is always on, and always has a value, which is unlike audio that can be nulled off as "empty buffer" when there is no "noise", or MIDI notes which become 0 velocity events when off; in other words CV always has an "on-state" even when it is off.

If we say that the output state of port 1 is 0, then a change internally in LaunchEon from one "memory store" of 0 to another memory store of 0 (i.e. switching scene), then the output will go from 0 to 0 - for context, the device which is outputting CV probably will rewrite the 0 as it makes less sense to check it first before rewriting as it just adds more work.

The second part of the problem is that, for performance reasons, this property change won't be passed between the device because the property hasn't changed, the DAW will filter it out. This is the case for both REs and VSTs, so the assumption would be the same for all plugin formats, as they all do more or less the same thing.

The third part of the problem is that the receiving CV device will filter out anything that doesn't change the input port value, again for performance reasons.

So ultimately it doesn't much matter what LaunchEon does here as sender, as there are two levels of filtering going on in the host and the receiver.

All the above said... I think I might be able to trick my way around this, although it's difficult to know if it would work well on every receiving device. Let me experiment a little - certainly, I can get the signal past the host, then after that it's probably the case that some devices would be compatible and others wouldn't.

As a short term workaound you could click the pattern device on to any pattern that is empty before you hit Run?

Cheers,
Brian

AbsentFriend

01 Nov 2022

Ah, got it. Thanks for the detailed reply. Don't spend too much time on it, there are multiple workarounds already – one of the beauties of Reason ;-).

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

05 Nov 2022

...and here's a little video to help give some inspiration for the weekend!

This video is to give an idea of what you can do with LaunchEon as well as provide a general idea of how to go about building something. This isn't to replace the tutorial manual, which is the best way to learn LaunchEon, but it just caters for audiences that prefer videos a bit more. Part 1 covers connections and Patterns; Parts 2 and 3 will hopefully turn up soon, covering CV, polishing up the device with Combinator stuff, and scene management using the new features added for Black Friday/November, which should be available quite soon.

Cheers, and see you for the next vid,
Brian

Bes
Competition Winner

05 Nov 2022

good video B :thumbs_up:
- Certified Reason expert

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

09 Nov 2022

Bes wrote:
05 Nov 2022
Thanks Bes,

I'm hoping that there is a noticeable upgrade in production quality?

It's one of the things I'm working on for this product, and for the future of course. Changed a lot of the things I do, but kept the general style the same for now. I need to learn how to pull off a few specific tricks before they are how I really want them, but I felt that this was much closer to it.

Cheers,
Brian

Mataya

09 Nov 2022

Hi,

how much time do I have until price goes to normal?

tx
M

littlejam

09 Nov 2022

hello,

@Brian: thank you for the drum teaching video

if you have the spare time,
a synth teaching video would be super cool to watch / learn

i think that would cover the bases for me

cheers and eat well,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

10 Nov 2022

Mataya wrote:
09 Nov 2022
Hi,

how much time do I have until price goes to normal?

tx
M
I think it's the 2nd December, basically just after Black Friday with a few days grace for people who get paid at different times :)

Bes
Competition Winner

10 Nov 2022

Enlightenspeed wrote:
09 Nov 2022
Bes wrote:
05 Nov 2022
Thanks Bes,

It's one of the things I'm working on for this product, and for the future of course. Changed a lot of the things I do, but kept the general style the same for now. I need to learn how to pull off a few specific tricks before they are how I really want them, but I felt that this was much closer to it.

Cheers,
Brian
i think i originally meant well explained, good pacing, peppered with good tips but also the audio and mic levels are well balanced which is super important imo are you using OBS or something else

if by chance you were referring to launcheon looking good, it does! i like the spacing and large numbering on the back panel

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

10 Nov 2022

littlejam wrote:
09 Nov 2022
hello,

@Brian: thank you for the drum teaching video

if you have the spare time,
a synth teaching video would be super cool to watch / learn

i think that would cover the bases for me

cheers and eat well,

j
Hi Littlejam,

Yes, this is planned for sometime reasonably soon!

Before that parts 2 and 3 of the drum machine tutorials have to be finished, edited, and released, then I'll move on to doing a "megasynth" setup, which should include some cool stuff :)

Cheers,
Brian

littlejam

10 Nov 2022

hello,

@Brian: thank you very much for the reply
i'm am stoked for the other parts to the drum tutorial
and mega stoked for the megasynth setup

have a blessed night,

j
littlejamaicastudios
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

13 Nov 2022

Bes wrote:
10 Nov 2022
Enlightenspeed wrote:
09 Nov 2022

Thanks Bes,

Cheers,
Brian
i think i originally meant well explained, good pacing, peppered with good tips but also the audio and mic levels are well balanced which is super important imo are you using OBS or something else

if by chance you were referring to launcheon looking good, it does! i like the spacing and large numbering on the back panel
Great stuff :)

I'm actually only using OBS forthe video recording, and recording a draft audio track alongside it. I'm then going in and redoing the vocal work. This involves more editing, and thus is much more time consuming, but it gets the right result - usually.

The 2nd vid should be available soon, and then the third not long after. I'll then look at what was done for both and see what the most obvious improvements are.

Work in progress!

Cheers, and thanks again for the feedback on this :)

Brian

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

17 Nov 2022

Hey folks,

v1.1 of LaunchEon is now available!

Added to the feature set:

Drag'n'drop manipulation of the scenes from the new "Manage" page.
CV Input control of the XY positions.
Layout and labelling changes to the Values area.
Some new special functions added into the Prefs area.

There is still more coming with LaunchEon, of course, and we'll possibly have another update out before the end of the year to cover more small features and polishings.

Of course, we are also continuing our "How to make a ... 'X' " video series too, and part 2 this shall be showing up very soon.. as in today, most likely, if I get the time ;)

Enjoy,
Brian

geronimo

18 Nov 2022

Enlightenspeed wrote:
10 Oct 2022
Hey folks,

v1.1 of LaunchEon is now available!

Added to the feature set:
  • Drag'n'drop manipulation of the scenes from the new "Manage" page.
  • CV Input control of the XY positions.
  • Layout and labelling changes to the Values area.
  • Some new special functions added into the Prefs area.
There is still more coming with LaunchEon, of course, and we'll possibly have another update out before the end of the year to cover more small features and polishings.

Of course, we are also continuing our "How to make a ... 'X' " video series too, and part 2 this shall be showing up very soon.. as in today, most likely, if I get the time ;)

Enjoy,
Brian
Almost the same message, a month apart :oops: !?

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

18 Nov 2022

geronimo wrote:
18 Nov 2022
Almost the same message, a month apart :oops: !?
It is the same message, because I updated the OP and the thread title.

Cheers,
Brian

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

25 Nov 2022

Hey folks, hoping you're enjoying the Black Friday fun,

Here is part two of our How to make a mega fancypants drum machine using LaunchEon, part 3 will be up later on.

I'll also stick the set of 3 up in a separate post on the tutorials forum as there is a lot of stuff in there that will be good for non-LaunchEon users.

Cheers,
Brian

littlejam

25 Nov 2022

hello,

here is part 3 drum project

if you get bored, please post a short video of how all this 'drum machine' tutorials
become a 'super synth'

that would be extra dope

cheers from brooklyn, ny

j
littlejamaicastudios

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

25 Nov 2022

littlejam wrote:
25 Nov 2022
hello,

here is part 3 drum project

if you get bored, please post a short video of how all this 'drum machine' tutorials
become a 'super synth'

that would be extra dope

cheers from brooklyn, ny

j
Cheers man,

I’m struggling to not get distracted by football now 😂

Cheers,
Brian

Mataya

25 Nov 2022

What I've noticed is that looking into launcheon interface or rather staring into it in a way that we used to look at those 3d images or pictures back in the days, makes the interface glassy and deep, 3d, trippy. Very nice. Basically, just stare at it and make your eyes kinda go into cross eye mode, like you're looking trough it.
I didn't even smoke anything.

M

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

28 Nov 2022

Mataya wrote:
25 Nov 2022
What I've noticed is that looking into launcheon interface or rather staring into it in a way that we used to look at those 3d images or pictures back in the days, makes the interface glassy and deep, 3d, trippy. Very nice. Basically, just stare at it and make your eyes kinda go into cross eye mode, like you're looking trough it.
I didn't even smoke anything.

M
:D :D :D

Glad you like it!

I wanted a classic LCD look, so yeah it should eventually give you those vibes.

Cheers,
Brian

Bes
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2022

Update 1.2
New Gate/Note mode per port for the morph ports, allows you to build random sequencers
New “Checkerboard” locking function helps build sequencers quickly
Supplementary functions (Lock/unlock all scenes or ports, reset user numbering, set range for scene randomisation)
A few minor bug fixes

littlejam

21 Dec 2022

hello,

@Bes: thank you so much for the headsup about the update to the RE

RS reaalyyy needs to fix / return things back to the way it was
when RE updated automatically with 'sync all'

there should be a 'sticky' about when RE get updated

maybe one of the moderators could make that happen

have a goodgood day,

j
littlejamaicastudios

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

31 Dec 2022

Hey folks,

first up thanks to Bes for posting the 1.2 update thing... Real life has been shockingly busy for me and I've been struggling with colod/flu symptoms for a good bit of December and watching loads of football, so my sincerest gratitude to that wonderful person yet again!

We have now released v1.2.1 to the store!
There is really not much need for exclamation actually as it just fixed a minor bug that only 1 user had spotted. But it needed fixing sooner rather than later.

Also note that at the time of writing we are now inside the last 24 hours of the Season of Reason sale, so all prices return to normal as of 0900 CET tomorrow. Grab em while they are cheap, and ote that all Enlightenspeed porducts are as cheap as they are ever likely to be right now.

On that note let me wish you all a happy new year when it comes, and hopefully 2023 will bring some hope and sanity back to a world gone mad.

cheers and a Happy New Year to you,
Brian

supersmarter

25 Feb 2023

I am trying to "trial" this. For my simpleton mind, it's heavy. What am I missing here? It literally says on the product page this:

LaunchEon ships with an ever growing set of Combinator instruments. All instruments are designed to retain all functionality when internal patches are changed; if you change an underlying Thor, Europa or Grain patch etc. then you won’t break the instrument functionality. This greatly improves every instrument as it means they are truly expandable.

But...where are they? There's no way to load any kind od preset on this device and I don't understand where are Combinator patches in order to try to load them and study them. I tried to visit the developer's website yet I don't see any 3rd party download archives.

Please help. I am looking for a device that will for example randomize my Redrum into new territories.

Bes
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2023

supersmarter wrote:
25 Feb 2023
There's no way to load any kind od preset on this device and I don't understand where are Combinator patches in order to try to load them and study them.
i got you, on the leftmost panel of the reason DAW is the browser panel (if you are using the rack plugin it's probably in a dropdown menu but i don't know). anyway, down the left side of the browser panel are the browse locations for each "type" of thing you are looking for. instruments and effects and players etc, then the banks of patches that come with reason and then you'll see the Rack Extension Icon :re: which is where all the patches that install with any rack extensions you have a license for. opening up this branch will show you the list of RE's, find LaunchEon in this list and in that folder you will find the the combinator patches you are looking for. double click or drag one into the rack to load it :thumbs_up:

• Information