STRNGFLT / String Filter (by Turn2on)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
turn2on
RE Developer

10 Oct 2022

STRNGFLT is a modern look to the old and rare classic of early electronic sound design. The original STRING FILTER was designed by R.A. WOOG and produced by the WOOG CUSTOM ENGINEERING Department. This was a second rack module after Dual VCO rack unit.
Original String Filter device is a fixed multi-band filter array controllable by four frequency group switches.
It adds the true acoustic body resonances of a string instrument. Resonant filter arrays replicate the filter formant of acoustic string instruments (cello, viola, violin).

In Keyboard magazine from the 80s, Deep Purple Keyboard player Jon Lord tells how he did a solo album with songs done with a Woog PolyWoog passed through a String Filter.

Moog (TM) String Filter rack module, second module after Dual VCO. Work with fixed multi-band filter array controllable by four frequency group switches.

STRNGFLT. Rack Extension audio processor is a 30-band filter array. Device has four band segments with the fixed frequencies of all 30 filters. Each Frequency Level group is controlled by the own knob, that helps to modify the array of this segment.

Frequency offset knob adjust the frequencies of all 30 filters in parallel.
Resonance offset adjusts the bandwidth of all 30 filters. Turning this knob down makes the effect is inaudible (no stringy sound), turning it up way will sound clang and metallic

STRNGFLT is a flexible and modern string filter audio effect, based on the earliest era of audio processing in synthesizer industry. STRNGFLT have flexible control of the frequency group levels and can change all 30 filters frequencies in parallel that had been fixed in original hardware device. Try to automate freq levels, which was not possible with the original string filter.

Try today the legend from the era of early audio processing from the Moogish synthesis world.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ng-filter/

crimsonwarlock

10 Oct 2022

turn2on wrote:
10 Oct 2022
... a Woog PolyWoog ...
:?: :shock:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Oct 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
10 Oct 2022
turn2on wrote:
10 Oct 2022
... a Woog PolyWoog ...
:?: :shock:
Attachments
B297D404-073A-41E7-B7F8-9DF0EB946A63.jpeg
B297D404-073A-41E7-B7F8-9DF0EB946A63.jpeg (55.22 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

turn2on
RE Developer

10 Oct 2022

Officially we cant use Moog in our materials.. This is registered trademark.
Woog. Play of words. Like a Behringer clone = Boog.
Or RedRockSound Polivox (Поливокс) clone = ivoks.

It is more important to understand that the device was originally designed by Bob Moog. And this is his second rack device. Which we present in an updated form with frequency groups customisation.

All product names, artists and bands names, trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
All company, product and service names used are for identification purposes only. Use of these names, trademarks and brands does not imply endorsement

If you love synthesis, synthesis history and sound of early electronic devices in music industry.. this is a touch to sound of 70's - 80's

crimsonwarlock

10 Oct 2022

turn2on wrote:
10 Oct 2022
Officially we cant use Moog in our materials.. This is registered trademark.
I get that, but you are telling a bit of history, so it doesn't apply there. It looks like a persistent typo this way :puf_bigsmile:

Just saying. I will have a listen to the effect later when I have the time. I'm a big fan of string machines so this might be interesting :thumbup:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Mataya

10 Oct 2022

I'll call this RE goa trance filter. I have to buy this. Great stuff.

rorystorm

10 Oct 2022

Honestly there's isn't a turn2on re that I don't buy instantly. Always 100% GREAT

Faastwalker

21 Oct 2022

I've never heard of a string filter effect before. Love the demos though. Very nice. Sold to me.

motuscott

21 Oct 2022

T2ON T2ally rules. Consistently oddball plugs. 🤙🏾
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

30 Oct 2022

Just bought it. Not something I'll use for most songs, but a cool effect that I can see myself using here and there to spice things up.

ksniod

30 Oct 2022

I want to purchase either STRNGFLT or MuRFA24 but can’t decide which one. Any advice?
MuRFA24 seems like an upgraded STRNGFLT, so what would be better with STRNGFLT? Easier?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

30 Oct 2022

ksniod wrote:
30 Oct 2022
I want to purchase either STRNGFLT or MuRFA24 but can’t decide which one. Any advice?
MuRFA24 seems like an upgraded STRNGFLT, so what would be better with STRNGFLT? Easier?
I tried the two very briefly. For me I immedietly got interesting results with STRNGFLT, while with MuRFA24 I didn't really know what to do with it. And by just having MuRFA24 ON without touching anything it sounded muffled to me. Now I can't say I gave it a fair chance. I absolutely didn't. I'm sure if I read the manual or did just a tiny bit of research I'd get something useful out of it. But sometimes I'm extremely impatient and I go by my initial feeling. If it doesn't grab the first to minutes, I'm out (sometimes). But I'm a person that really appreciate simplicity and quick results. STRNGFLT offered that. MuRFA24 didn't imo. Perhaps you're not the same type of user as me though.

ksniod

30 Oct 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
30 Oct 2022
ksniod wrote:
30 Oct 2022
I tried the two very briefly. For me I immedietly got interesting results with STRNGFLT, while with MuRFA24 I didn't really know what to do with it. And by just having MuRFA24 ON without touching anything it sounded muffled to me. Now I can't say I gave it a fair chance. I absolutely didn't. I'm sure if I read the manual or did just a tiny bit of research I'd get something useful out of it. But sometimes I'm extremely impatient and I go by my initial feeling. If it doesn't grab the first to minutes, I'm out (sometimes). But I'm a person that really appreciate simplicity and quick results. STRNGFLT offered that. MuRFA24 didn't imo. Perhaps you're not the same type of user as me though.
It was very helpful, thank you (and yes, I.m the same type)

arnigretar

30 Oct 2022

Just purchased. Yet another great by Turn2on. Thanks!
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

mbfrancis

06 Dec 2022

Hey everyone. Uh....how do you use this? Like, what is the classic use of it? There are no patches (that I can see). I tried modulating some parameters and it was interesting, and when I cranked the resonance got some weird chord-type FX type stuff, but... how do I get the 'classic' sound of whatever this thing does?
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

turn2on
RE Developer

06 Dec 2022

Hi, mbfrancis,
This is a part of classical Polymoog, and have various ways to use, but if you search "classic" sound of this, you can look at this video (right hand side of synth before the last [filter] section ):

Device can be used in static for natural acoustic body resonances.
Also Moog Resonator was been used as fx-unit for various ways, for keys/leads, also like a phase shifter, freq shifter, triple bands filter, for chorus fx, and was been a fundament for resonator effects in future, like a MuRF series (multi array resonant filters). Kraftwerk also used it on drums.
This is a kind of a creative fx, that you can use anywhere if needed.
You can automate by CV with external LFO to have animation.
You can use it like a waveshaper for raw signals, this trick helps to you change character of signal. Try it on clean oscillators waveforms.

May be somebody write about own look at this effect. This is interesting.

crimsonwarlock

06 Dec 2022

mbfrancis wrote:
06 Dec 2022
Hey everyone. Uh....how do you use this?
-------

mbfrancis

07 Dec 2022

Cool thanks both of you, this helps.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

turn2on
RE Developer

24 Dec 2022

STRNGFLT / String Filter Update 1.0.2:

- Bugfix: effect were not sleeping to save CPU when silent
- No longer clicks with short pauses
- Smoothing of gain and filters offset now avoid zipper noise

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ng-filter/

• Information