Torsion Texture Lab, what do you use it for?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
crimsonwarlock

09 Aug 2022

Currently, Torsion is the only thing left in the rewards shop that seems interesting to me. I have a 25 points voucher, so I can pick it up cheap, but I'm wrestling with the possible applications. It is not a synthesizer, but it also doesn't look like an effect. It seems to me that it is somewhat of a standalone thing, more of a tool to 'make things'. Maybe I can use it to make strange stuff that I can use as a wavetable or just load into a sampler and play it like a synth. It is unclear to me what it is actually aiming at.

So if you use it, what do you use it for?
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

deeplink
Competition Winner

09 Aug 2022

It generally is considered a synth - or at the very least an instrument - however the synthesis is based upon samples loaded into the device.

Similar to Reason's Grain.

From the descirption:
"Torsion is a granular audio device. Samples are played back in small segments called grains. Many grains can play back at the same time, each with its own snapshot of parameters. This simple mechanism can create complex and psychedelic sounds including drone synthesis, stutters, glitches, reverbs, pitch smearing, time smearing, chord generation, texture clouds, sonic bursting, and many sounds that are too strange to be named."

That should give you a pretty good idea?
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

crimsonwarlock

09 Aug 2022

deeplink wrote:
09 Aug 2022
It generally is considered a synth - or at the very least an instrument - however the synthesis is based upon samples loaded into the device.
The samples loading thing is obvious. But it doesn't seem to take keyboard notes as input, so I would rather call it a sound generator than an instrument. So, it is still not clear to me what you would use it for. Do people use it to create sounds for other instruments (as I suggested as an option), or just noisy background stuff for movies or such?
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

DaveyG

09 Aug 2022

Demo it, because the chances are you won't find it very useful. Then save your reward for the next RS release!

crimsonwarlock

09 Aug 2022

DaveyG wrote:
09 Aug 2022
Demo it, because the chances are you won't find it very useful. Then save your reward for the next RS release!
I ask here because that would give me some direction IF I will demo it. Currently, I don't even know what to do to demo it. Also, I'm skint for time. I'll probably run out of trial time before I find out what it can do for me.

Regarding the reward points, lately RS has not released anything that actually added something for me. I already have a vocoder, several REs that do chord stuff, and more than enough stuff to do nice bass lines. What makes me look at Torsion is that it is definitely NOT like anything else. Now just to find out what I could do with it.
-------

strangers
Competition Winner

09 Aug 2022

I recently demoed it and, like most Lectric Panda REs, really enjoy the randomize button. Between that and the mod matrix you can really get lost in this thing. Even with the latest discount in pricing I didn't end up buying it because I found it a little frustrating that you can only play one note at a time. Figured I'd cover a little more ground with Grain or even throwing any sample through Fritz.

I'm always drawn toward REs and VSTs that promote weird sounds. Torsion Texture Lab fits the bill a little too well. I'd probably grab it if the price were to drop again.

dvdrtldg

09 Aug 2022

Drones, drones, drrrrrooooooooonnnnnnnes. If you're into drones, Torsion is a must. I've never used it for "straight" music but as a drone generator it's one of the best. For "drones", also read soundscapes, atmos beds, long evolving pads etc. But imo it's more geared toward freaky experimental type stuff than standard club bangers. I love it, but it's not everyone's cup of tea

This track is pretty much all Torsion, apart from the drums in the first part

crimsonwarlock

09 Aug 2022

strangers wrote:
09 Aug 2022
I recently demoed it and, like most Lectric Panda REs, really enjoy the randomize button. Between that and the mod matrix you can really get lost in this thing. Even with the latest discount in pricing I didn't end up buying it because I found it a little frustrating that you can only play one note at a time. Figured I'd cover a little more ground with Grain or even throwing any sample through Fritz.

I'm always drawn toward REs and VSTs that promote weird sounds. Torsion Texture Lab fits the bill a little too well. I'd probably grab it if the price were to drop again.
I could grab Fritz instead, and keep the reward points. Maybe I have to demo them both (and risking getting them both)... hmmm, where to find the time or that :puf_bigsmile:
dvdrtldg wrote:
09 Aug 2022
Drones, drones, drrrrrooooooooonnnnnnnes. If you're into drones, Torsion is a must. I've never used it for "straight" music but as a drone generator it's one of the best. For "drones", also read soundscapes, atmos beds, long evolving pads etc. But imo it's more geared toward freaky experimental type stuff than standard club bangers. I love it, but it's not everyone's cup of tea
Not into drones these days, I mainly do synthwave and progrock. But this thing could take me back to the more spacey stuff I did back in the eighties. Have been contemplating revisiting that kind of music, so thanks for the drone suggestion :thumbup:
-------

challism

10 Aug 2022

If I were to chose between Torsion or Fritz, I'd go with Fritz 10 out of 10 times, especially true since RS released Grain.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Tinnitus

10 Aug 2022

Just to chime in I own and love Fritz. Panda produces amazing REs. 100 percent recommended.

I too spent money on Torsion with points , stupidly without demoing it and really have not used it nor fully understand how to. This is probably all down to me but it isn't as obvious and usable as Fritz.

dvdrtldg

11 Aug 2022

challism wrote:
10 Aug 2022
If I were to chose between Torsion or Fritz, I'd go with Fritz 10 out of 10 times, especially true since RS released Grain.
Pretty weird comparison - they're all very different beasts, especially Torsion and Grain

crimsonwarlock

11 Aug 2022

Tinnitus wrote:
10 Aug 2022
Just to chime in I own and love Fritz. Panda produces amazing REs. 100 percent recommended.

I too spent money on Torsion with points , stupidly without demoing it and really have not used it nor fully understand how to. This is probably all down to me but it isn't as obvious and usable as Fritz.
dvdrtldg wrote:
11 Aug 2022
challism wrote:
10 Aug 2022
Pretty weird comparison - they're all very different beasts, especially Torsion and Grain
I would also not compare Torsion to Grain. To me, they seem entirely different. Torsion and Fritz do seem to have some overlap, though.
-------

Iapetus 9

11 Aug 2022

I love Torsion, and get everything from spaced out drones to the craziest of textured sounds. Lately, I've been putting ham radio recordings through it for insane speech glitch awesomness. It's a wonderful sound design tool, but it all depends on what you feed it if you want something musical.
38L > 51D every time.

challism

12 Aug 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
11 Aug 2022
challism wrote:
10 Aug 2022
I mention Fritz because the OP mentioned it.

Grain and Torsion are both granular-based. While they are different beasts, I agree, I prefer Grain and find it much easier to use and much more musical.
Iapetus 9 wrote:
11 Aug 2022
I love Torsion, and get everything from spaced out drones to the craziest of textured sounds. Lately, I've been putting ham radio recordings through it for insane speech glitch awesomness. It's a wonderful sound design tool, but it all depends on what you feed it if you want something musical.

Cool idea. Where are you finding ham radio recordings?

rorystorm

12 Aug 2022

challism wrote:
12 Aug 2022
dvdrtldg wrote:
11 Aug 2022

Cool idea. Where are you finding ham radio recordings?
On your Hawaiian radio pizza next to the pineapple radio

challism

12 Aug 2022

rorystorm wrote:
12 Aug 2022

I don't have a Hawaiian pizza. Would recording ham radio with Reason 8 be close enough?

rorystorm

12 Aug 2022

challism wrote:
12 Aug 2022
rorystorm wrote:
12 Aug 2022

I don't have a Hawaiian pizza. Would recording ham radio with Reason 8 be close enough?
Damn, I thought I was being funny but now I realise that this might not be a thing in other places? Ham and pineapple is a common pizza topping where I live. Plus if its home made, ham, pineapple and tinned spaghetti.

dvdrtldg

12 Aug 2022

Iapetus 9 wrote:
11 Aug 2022
It works great with field recordings too. I often go trawling here for inspiration https://aporee.org/maps/ and feed the results into Torsion

challism

12 Aug 2022

rorystorm wrote:
12 Aug 2022
challism wrote:
12 Aug 2022

Damn, I thought I was being funny but now I realise that this might not be a thing in other places? Ham and pineapple is a common pizza topping where I live. Plus if its home made, ham, pineapple and tinned spaghetti.
Pineapple on pizza. You must live in hell. ;)
Yeah, I know what a Hawaiian pizza is. I was just referencing the pineapple in the Reason 8 ad.

Iapetus 9

12 Aug 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
12 Aug 2022
It works great with field recordings too. I often go trawling here for inspiration https://aporee.org/maps/ and feed the results into Torsion
Never been there before, and now it looks like I'm in for some exploration LOL. I usually go here for radio recordings.

http://websdr.org/
38L > 51D every time.

dvdrtldg

13 Aug 2022

Iapetus 9 wrote:
12 Aug 2022
I usually go here for radio recordings.

Bookmarked, thanks

challism

13 Aug 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
13 Aug 2022
Iapetus 9 wrote:
12 Aug 2022
I usually go here for radio recordings.

Bookmarked, thanks
Thanks for sharing these links. They look like some great resources for inspiration and picking up files to load into Torsion.

I found this site when doing a search for ham recordings. Ham transmissions from astronauts aboard the ISS, apparently. http://www.dd1us.de/spacesounds%203b.html
And similar space related audio from NASA (everything released by the US Govt is in the public domain)
https://www.nasa.gov/connect/sounds/index.html

I do like Torsion quite a bit and have often praised it in the past. So I don't want to sound like I'm not a fan of it. That being said, I think it can be a challenge to get musical results out of.

In past years I have taken my phone (audio recorder) through crowded Asian markets and loaded those files into Torsion. It's always an interesting result, but not always easily applied to music. Fun, nonetheless.

• Information