Reason Studios Chord Sequencer in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2022

huggermugger wrote:
18 Aug 2022
MrFigg wrote:
18 Aug 2022
I'm getting a bit bugged by CS. I'm by no means good on the piano but I can play chord sequences and know what I want. Figured CS would make it easier and give me a multitude of options I probably wouldn't have thought of and I guess it does in a way. But...why no option to start in a minor key. Cm. I know I can edit the major chord but a button for minor would have been pretty good. Gotta dig miners right?
This is a drawback with the workflow in CS, the chord sets have their tonalities baked in. Within CS, you can't easily convert a major key chord set to minor. A quite good and very quick solution is to insert Scales & Chords and set it to the minor of the same root (or, of course, set it to all kinds of interesting alternative scales. I've found this adds a lot of value to the limited number of built-in chord sets).
Haha...yeah, that's what I've been doing but I think I'll be moving back to Tonicmint REs. That CS is pretty basic. Glad it only cost me €4.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

motuscott

18 Aug 2022

Unsure that Hank woulda done it thisaway
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

WOO

18 Aug 2022

MrFigg wrote:
18 Aug 2022
huggermugger wrote:
18 Aug 2022

This is a drawback with the workflow in CS, the chord sets have their tonalities baked in. Within CS, you can't easily convert a major key chord set to minor. A quite good and very quick solution is to insert Scales & Chords and set it to the minor of the same root (or, of course, set it to all kinds of interesting alternative scales. I've found this adds a lot of value to the limited number of built-in chord sets).
Haha...yeah, that's what I've been doing but I think I'll be moving back to Tonicmint REs. That CS is pretty basic. Glad it only cost me €4.
CS was interesting for a few hours for me. Not so much now. Glad it didn't cost me anything but a few rewards points. The sale price of 49 dollars was way to much to pay for what it does. Crazy waste of money at 69 dollars.

Overtherainbow

19 Aug 2022

69 bucks would get you 3 private lessons deep into chords progressions, which is a lot... or 2-3 years worth of subscription to online educational video libraries... Perhaps about time someone mentioned that. This is not to belittle the value of the VSTs and REs, but just to have a look at the "competition".

deeplink
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2022

WOO wrote:
18 Aug 2022
CS was interesting for a few hours for me. Not so much now. Glad it didn't cost me anything but a few rewards points. The sale price of 49 dollars was way to much to pay for what it does. Crazy waste of money at 69 dollars.
Overtherainbow wrote:
19 Aug 2022
69 bucks would get you 3 private lessons deep into chords progressions, which is a lot... or 2-3 years worth of subscription to online educational video libraries... Perhaps about time someone mentioned that. This is not to belittle the value of the VSTs and REs, but just to have a look at the "competition".
For a different perspective - I don't believe the selling point of the Chord Sequencer are it's features. It's not a feature rich device and cannot do much with it, other than what it is advertised. Moreover, I don't think the selling point is to teach you chords either.

Rather, I think the point of the device is to merely give you quick access to inspiration - or chords that you may not necessary arrive at at - as and when you need it.

And who can put a price on inspiration?
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Billy+

19 Aug 2022

deeplink wrote:
19 Aug 2022

I think the point of the device is to merely give you quick access to inspiration - or chords that you may not necessary arrive at at - as and when you need it.
I would suggest that this comment is spot on to a certain extent.

However if you're looking for experimentation with the ability to change the style of chord then CS is not entirely suited - going with Captain chords and or Scaler 2 will provide a much richer selection of chords with the ability to swap chords around the tonal centre your working in while also providing chords and progressions that are way beyond CS.

And you can always add these chords to CS for features that it is good at.

Personally I'm not buying CS as I have Capitan and Scaler so at £69 CS is a complete waste of money/rewards but if the price was £25-£30 it would definitely be in my toolbox.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2022

Hmm, yeah. 50 points bang!!! Damn you impulsivity.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

motuscott

19 Aug 2022

[Moderator merge of multiple comments]
Moderator note: Please don't post like this in the future - just go back and edit/amend your previous post instead. These posts aren't adding much to the conversation, are they? Was it really necessary to post a new comment each time?

Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:04 pm

I spent my imaginary $50 on an imaginary thing and now I'm imagining regret.

Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:06 pm

Tuff Titties,
Amirite?

Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:11 pm

I can be so harsh.
Thankfully I live alone.
No significant others were harmed in this RE trial

Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:18 pm

I have an ex who barely escaped by The Skin of Her Teeth
Thorton Wilder, representing...

Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:45 pm

Most of the Ladies of My Life have forgiven me.
Just thought i'd throw that into the mix.

Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:55 pm

I just didn't know better,
66 yo motuscott to 20 something motuscott fuckbucket

Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:09 am

"I thought we were supposed to fuck each others' girlfriends",
Tav Falco, somewhere in Australia, Red Devil Tour, 1980s or 90s
It's a little foggy

challism

20 Aug 2022

deeplink wrote:
19 Aug 2022
, I think the point of the device is to merely give you quick access to inspiration -
And who can put a price on inspiration?
Reason Studios can. Inspiration is $69 reg and $49 on sale.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

crimsonwarlock

20 Aug 2022

challism wrote:
20 Aug 2022
Inspiration is $69 reg ....
For us here in Europe, it is 75 euros. It still baffles me how that conversion rate works :?
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Billy+

20 Aug 2022

Crazy thing is that converting to Swedens national currency shows that the

uk is paying 800 sek (£64)
the us is paying 730 sek ($69/£58)
and the eu is paying 790 sek (€75/£63)

All for the same product,

now I have no clue what a Krona gets you in Sweden?
How much does a pint of beer cost?
a cheap carling is about £5 where I live in the uk :lol:

motuscott

20 Aug 2022

My Gawd! 5lbs for a beer! How many ounces?
Couldn't figure out how to make that British dollar mark thingy...
…I'm old, MF!

Eprom

27 Aug 2022

A month later: Who is still using it regularly?

I used it for about two weeks and after the novelty dropped off I stopped using it and play my chords myself again. Wondering what others think.
:reason: Reason user since Ver. 1.01(2001) :reason:
- I read everything, but rarely post on forums -

madmacman

27 Aug 2022

Eprom wrote:
27 Aug 2022
Using it regularly? Would be a bad sign for creativity. No, it is a tool like others in the toolbox. And I reach out for it whenever I feel the necessity. It's the same way I don't use Beat Map on a regular basis.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2022

Billy+ wrote:
20 Aug 2022
Crazy thing is that converting to Swedens national currency shows that the

uk is paying 800 sek (£64)
the us is paying 730 sek ($69/£58)
and the eu is paying 790 sek (€75/£63)

All for the same product,

now I have no clue what a Krona gets you in Sweden?
How much does a pint of beer cost?
a cheap carling is about £5 where I live in the uk :lol:
Beer is dear.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Chi-Individual

27 Aug 2022

Eprom wrote:
27 Aug 2022

I used it for about two weeks and after the novelty dropped off I stopped using it and play my chords myself again. Wondering what others think.
I've actually used it everyday since it's release, either for a track starter or to help quickly fill gaps. The only thing that gets in my way, and it's because of my lack of theory knowledge not CS, is I don't always get the resolution I want to a progression and I don't fully know how to go about finding what I'm hearing in my head to add it myself. But again that's on me not CS. Just need to revisit Scaler to start adding my own progressions. But it's probably my fav Player next to PSS.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2022

Wish I'd saved my 50 points and bought Robotic Bean's Resonans instead. Oh well.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

WOO

27 Aug 2022

MrFigg wrote:
27 Aug 2022
Wish I'd saved my 50 points and bought Robotic Bean's Resonans instead. Oh well.
I'll second that emotion.

ab459

27 Aug 2022

Why it not at current sale ? I would buy perhaps. Looks fun.

MuttReason

28 Aug 2022

Eprom wrote:
27 Aug 2022

Yep. Still like it a lot. Main thing IME is to understand it for what it is…. a fast way to try out progression ideas and get a basic chord sequence down for part of a track. I always send to track from the CS player then go into the piano roll and move notes around, add 9ths, invert etc, often substitute whole chords or extend a sequence with new chords that I play in myself. End result for that part of the track is almost never simply the output from CS. Once I have something I’m happy with I might then go back to CS in a different key (up a minor third for example) or with a different progression for a different part of the track but more often it’s done its thing by then and the rest of the track flows from what I’ve got down already and I have enough inspiration to come up with new progressions (bridge etc) and chordal ideas without using CS.

I see it like an electric bicycle in a hilly area (where I live there are a lot of hills). It means I can get to the top a bit faster and a bit less tired, and I can ride for longer. But I still have to know how to ride a bike, and I still have to do a lot of pedalling. Weird analogy maybe but that’s kinda how it feels. It is an aid, not a substitute, if that makes sense.

mimidancer

28 Aug 2022

ebeneezer wrote:
29 Jun 2022
This is obviously something the developers must have considered, but something that seems to be missing for me is any use of inversions. I can guess why, because if you started adding inverted chords into the "connect 4" grid then that would leave less space for other suggestions. But maybe it could work so that if you drag your chords into the sequencer window then there's a button in that which lets you test out different inversions of your chosen chords? I can see the"edit" button which you could use but it's quite a hassle to test out inversions that way.
you can put your chords in any way you want. You are also not limited to diatonic structures. If you are just using the included mildly interesting templates you are doing it wrong. Play multiple versions of your chords into the slots and do some interesting things like using chords from the parallel key. But yes it does inversions. if you don't know how to play you can copy the chord to a new slot and simply rearrange the notes to the inversions. If you can play just hit what you want takes seconds.

shropshirelad

01 Oct 2022

huggermugger wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Eprom wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Ok. This comes out just when I was about to purchase Scaler2.
genuine question therefor: should I buy Scaler2 (€49.40) that I can use as a VST in every DAW I choose OR buy Chord Sequencer (€54.- at the moment) that is perfectly integrated in Reason?

PS I’m also a Logic Pro user.
If you have the RRP, Players work beautifully in Logic (and I'm pretty sure any other DAW). Just pop an instance of the RRP into the MIDI FX of a Logic instrument track, and you're good to go. Reason's Players smoke the stock MIDI FX in Logic.
Are you running Logic using Rosetta? I can't get it going when running Logic natively - keep getting messages about broken rack extensions etc. Can't wait until this is all finally sorted out!

huggermugger

01 Oct 2022

shropshirelad wrote:
01 Oct 2022

Are you running Logic using Rosetta? I can't get it going when running Logic natively - keep getting messages about broken rack extensions etc. Can't wait until this is all finally sorted out!
I'm still in Mojave, and using Logic 10.4. I'm old school lol, never in a rush to update/upgrade anything if it ain't broken.

Popey
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2022

I dont own chord sequencer but just saw a video saying version 1.1 coming soon. Are they updating it or did Facebook just show me an old video?

Is it version 1.0 at the moment?

joeyluck

04 Nov 2022

Popey wrote:
04 Nov 2022
I dont own chord sequencer but just saw a video saying version 1.1 coming soon. Are they updating it or did Facebook just show me an old video?

Is it version 1.0 at the moment?
The teaser is new.
And 1.1 would be new.

https://fb.watch/gAHR_Duusx/

• Information