Reason Studios Chord Sequencer in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Billy+

29 Jun 2022

Billy+ wrote:
29 Jun 2022
So I've watched the video
I've read the blog
Studied the manual

All that's left is to actually trial the device, but I see a few are already owners so I thought that it might be worth asking here first.

When creating your own chord set
  • Can you name them and put them in a custom style categorie?
  • Does chord sequencer process the set and colour it automatically?
  • Is it possible to add a single chord and automatically populate the other 15?
My next question is when will dual arp be updated to allow for 5+ notes to work (I've always wanted full spread access arp1+arp2 8 notes ) and pattern selection like the newer devices have ;)
chimp_spanner wrote:
29 Jun 2022

1) No. You basically have one blank/user area called Empty (I know, kinda weird) and if you put your own chords in there, you can save a patch for the whole device and recall it later. But you would have to build your own library of chord styles outside of the device itself, with one chord set per-preset.
2) I haven't tested this extensively but from what I can tell, chord suitability is worked out even on custom chords (I think it works best when you also specify the root note of the chord while editing).
3) No
4) Yeah this is the main reason I use Kompulsion instead of Dual Arp.

I see, so should I continue just using mixed in key captain bundle with scaler 2.6 or is it worth trying?

jonnyretina

29 Jun 2022

Nice to see in 151A / https://ichigoichie.org a new third party provider collaborator on a Reason Studios device :)

Eprom

29 Jun 2022

Ok. This comes out just when I was about to purchase Scaler2.
genuine question therefor: should I buy Scaler2 (€49.40) that I can use as a VST in every DAW I choose OR buy Chord Sequencer (€54.- at the moment) that is perfectly integrated in Reason?

PS I’m also a Logic Pro user.
:reason: Reason user since Ver. 1.01(2001) :reason:
- I read everything, but rarely post on forums -

Billy+

29 Jun 2022

jonnyretina wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Nice to see in 151A / https://ichigoichie.org a new third party provider collaborator on a Reason Studios device :)
Not so new ;)
ReasonStudios wrote: While our content manager Joachim started looking for chord-savvy content creators, we contacted Magnus, formerly of Reason Studios but now game developer at Ichigoichie. He was happy to develop the Player for us!
Made we wonder if he was the developer of PX7?

xylyx

29 Jun 2022

Eprom wrote:
29 Jun 2022
genuine question therefor: should I buy Scaler2 (€49.40) that I can use as a VST in every DAW I choose OR buy Chord Sequencer (€54.- at the moment) that is perfectly integrated in Reason?

I already own Scaler 2 and it's the reason I'm on the fence about this player. It comes across as Scaler Lite and, even though I can get it with another £25 off the offer price, I do wonder whether it's worth it - especially if the VST3 support adds midi VST functionality. :think:

Billy+

29 Jun 2022

I wouldn't hold out much hope of getting vst midi support in Reason anytime soon (I've been waiting since R9.5)

Scaler is on sale at the moment and although the demo is really annoying (license pop up and white noise) it's definitely worth trying especially if you are using other DAW's that work.

madmacman

29 Jun 2022

Eprom wrote:
29 Jun 2022
FYI: Just saw this cited on Plugin Boutique regarding Scaler 2:
Apple M1 Mac compatibility: Scaler is compatible with M1 machines natively and under Rosetta, we recommend using Rosetta for better stability. For more information, find out how to start Logic using Rosetta.
That doesn‘t sound promising. :roll:

Billy+

29 Jun 2022

I've seen a few things about vst3 and vst midi devices not being functional and or problematic.

Something to do with the vst3 standard.

rgdaniel

29 Jun 2022

I think this is the first time (barring happy accidents) I've ever used the chord "D6/9 #11 no 3" in a song...

chimp_spanner

29 Jun 2022

Billy+ wrote:
29 Jun 2022
I've seen a few things about vst3 and vst midi devices not being functional and or problematic.

I can't remember what the deal is exactly but I *think* VST 3 did away with MIDI out? Or it has to be re-enabled with some kind of legacy behaviour thing in the DAW. I remember seeing this on Reaper forums when VST3 first came out. Naturally they had it patched pretty quickly and it was all working again. I may be talking out my ass though so if anyone actually knows feel free to correct haha.

Billy+

29 Jun 2022

chimp_spanner wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Billy+ wrote:
29 Jun 2022

I can't remember what the deal is exactly but I *think* VST 3 did away with MIDI out? Or it has to be re-enabled with some kind of legacy behaviour thing in the DAW. I remember seeing this on Reaper forums when VST3 first came out. Naturally they had it patched pretty quickly and it was all working again. I may be talking out my ass though so if anyone actually knows feel free to correct haha.
Yeah I totally couldn't understand what was being said but my take on it was Reason with a full vst3 implementation wouldn't necessarily mean vst midi support.

madmacman

29 Jun 2022

xylyx wrote:
29 Jun 2022
It comes across as Scaler Lite
Not necessarily a bad thing. After watching many vids about Scaler 2 it does a little too much for my taste (rhythmic patterns etc) and is packed with features. This is good if you tend to value number of features per $. Chord Sequencer is an overall cleaner approach with some more flexibility (?) in the sequencer lane. Plus you can use it elsewhere with the rack plugin, which I do anyway.

Sargie

29 Jun 2022

This is brilliant.

I have Scaler.

This is going to get used a lot more.

This to me is a "proper Propellerhead" device. It takes something complex and presents it in a simple, elegant, easy to understand way.

Thank you!

Fusion

29 Jun 2022

Looks interesting, although expensive compared to scaler. Is this supposed to be able to detect a chord played on midi and then suggest the next chords? I could not figure out how this works.

m.arthur

29 Jun 2022

MattiasHG wrote:
29 Jun 2022

While "playing by the rules" might seem like the correct choice, we found both that there were plenty of products that did that and that in practice musicians tend to wander outside of a key quite a lot for much more interesting results.
I'm so glad you guys had this attitude on this, it really makes a huge difference. One of my biggest issue with existing chord players is how strictly they lock to a given key / scale. It makes everything sound rigid and boring; there's no question that the 'secret sauce' of so, so many great songs is that they, as you say, 'wander outside' a given key, find chords from 'related' keys, in general just Mix Things Up. That's where the real personality comes into the progressions, so I'm thrilled to find that you've had this in mind all along.

purchased this 5 min into demo'ing it, btw. One of the greatest players yet. It basically does what I wanted Scales & Chords to always do; I doubt I'll even use the literal chord-sequencer part of it much -- for me it's more of a learning tool to find chords that fit naturally together in interesting ways. Cheers!

huggermugger

29 Jun 2022

Eprom wrote:
29 Jun 2022

If you have the RRP, Players work beautifully in Logic (and I'm pretty sure any other DAW). Just pop an instance of the RRP into the MIDI FX of a Logic instrument track, and you're good to go. Reason's Players smoke the stock MIDI FX in Logic.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 4.29.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 4.29.57 PM.png (473.96 KiB) Viewed 6103 times
Last edited by huggermugger on 29 Jun 2022, edited 1 time in total.

huggermugger

29 Jun 2022

Fusion wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Looks interesting, although expensive compared to scaler. Is this supposed to be able to detect a chord played on midi and then suggest the next chords? I could not figure out how this works.
No, it doesn't detect chords or notes in the same way that Scales & Chords would. It's primarily an output device. It only uses incoming MIDI notes to choose one of the 16 pads and optionally set the velocity value for a chord.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 4.41.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 4.41.47 PM.png (155.74 KiB) Viewed 6084 times

DaveyG

29 Jun 2022

Superb. Simply superb. RS should make more of this stuff rather than yet another synth or yet another effect.
It is a bit of a subset of Scaler 2 but there is room for it in my life. Finally something worth spending reward points on!

All I need now is a virtual singer. Something science has not yet managed to produce, unless you like munchkins or manga toon voices.

PhillipOrdonez

29 Jun 2022

Nice player. Loving it already.

Marc64

29 Jun 2022

I need to go to bed but I have too much fun :D

Eprom

29 Jun 2022

huggermugger wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Fusion wrote:
29 Jun 2022
No, it doesn't detect chords or notes in the same way that Scales & Chords would. It's primarily an output device. It only uses incoming MIDI notes to choose one of the 16 pads and optionally set the velocity value for a chord.
AHA! Thank you for that info.
I understood it was a device that gave options for different chords when you played your own.

In that case my money goes to Scaler2 after all.
:reason: Reason user since Ver. 1.01(2001) :reason:
- I read everything, but rarely post on forums -

motuscott

29 Jun 2022

Nice to see Props release a device and not get pummeled by the grumpy old men of ReasonTalk.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

DJMaytag

29 Jun 2022

How does the Rewards thing work with this on sale? Do I use a $25 rewards voucher or a $50 voucher?

arnigretar

29 Jun 2022

Brilliant device. Great player, yet again. And GUI is great :clap: First song written already with a little help of this nice player. Looking forward to use it more. Props to the Props! :reason:
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

MuttReason

29 Jun 2022

OK now several hours in of playing with this thing. Mind pretty much blown TBH, I have years of music theory and know my way around the keyboard but this just makes it so FAST to try out ideas. Also big shout out to Sean Murray for the Reason+ sound pack too, everything in it is really good and a couple of the sequences are straight out of the box perfect. So much so that I literally spent 45 minutes jamming ideas over the top of one of them, genuinely inspiring stuff. IMO I think this is the best Player yet, in fact I think it’s one of the best new devices of any kind that RS/Props have brought out for a while.

• Information