Reason Studios Chord Sequencer in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

Faastwalker

29 Jun 2022

Yay! Just opened Companion to Reason+ update and there it was.

Think I'm going to be jumping from green to black a lot on this one :twisted:

Loque

29 Jun 2022

Well, looks like it is not a 4-connect game which i can play remotely with my friends :-)

My first questions are:
* Is there a useful Randomizer?
* Any reason why strumming, velocity, remove basenote, octave, ... is not part of the sequencer?
* Can the chords be exchanged on the keyboard?
* Transpose feature? I mean, not only octaves.
Reason12, Win10

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

29 Jun 2022

Loque wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Well, looks like it is not a 4-connect game which i can play remotely with my friends :-)

My first questions are:
* Any reason why strumming, velocity, remove basenote, octave, ... is not part of the sequencer?
1. No, it's designed for exploration and listening so there's no randomize functions. You can of course slap on some kind of random Player before hand to randomly select chords, but with chords it's often less pleasing. That's why we have the color coding, you often want a way back to the home key for example.

2. Ease of use and how you generally use it. We found that's something you do to adapt to the instrument rather than a specific chord. For example you might want a higher octave and more huamnized timing on a rumbly piano.

3. You can edit any chord pad in EDIT mode and add/remove notes, you can also simply record your own chords.

4. No, we found this wasn't really used a lot except in Eurovision (i.e. the whole note transposition for the last chorus) and doing transposition for automation would often mean the chord sets and color coding make much less sense. It's very easy to accomplish by stacking Players though, just add a Note Echo after with only one repeat and minimum timing and you can automate transposition. :)

Tweak

29 Jun 2022

Any chance this'll be added to the rewards shop in the near to immediate future?

Kilsane

29 Jun 2022

Hi,
I may be saying stupidity, but it would have been nice to be able to open the chords or even reverse them like in the scales & chords

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

29 Jun 2022

Tweak wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Any chance this'll be added to the rewards shop in the near to immediate future?
Yes, working on that right now.

CaptainBlack

29 Jun 2022

Also I assume it can be used in tandem with an arpeggiator? Though I suppose if you can move the chord sequence in the main Reason window, you can do it that way.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

29 Jun 2022

CaptainBlack wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Also I assume it can be used in tandem with an arpeggiator? Though I suppose if you can move the chord sequence in the main Reason window, you can do it that way.
Absolutely, just add an arpeggiator like the Dual Arpeggio after it in the rack. Also very fun to add a Pattern Mutator after to record chord progressions and shuffle/transpose them around.

Popey
Competition Winner

29 Jun 2022

Looks like a good device. Can't help thinking this has taken some inspiration from scaler 2 with the suggested chords idea.

Marc Swing

29 Jun 2022

They should have kept the strum function that you had on the prototype in your blog and it would be perfect! but still a nice player! i will use my voucher as soon it hits the rewards shop :-)

Loque

29 Jun 2022

MattiasHG wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Loque wrote:
29 Jun 2022

My first questions are:
1. No, it's designed for exploration and listening so there's no randomize functions. You can of course slap on some kind of random Player before hand to randomly select chords, but with chords it's often less pleasing. That's why we have the color coding, you often want a way back to the home key for example.

2. Ease of use and how you generally use it. We found that's something you do to adapt to the instrument rather than a specific chord. For example you might want a higher octave and more huamnized timing on a rumbly piano.

3. You can edit any chord pad in EDIT mode and add/remove notes, you can also simply record your own chords.

4. No, we found this wasn't really used a lot except in Eurovision (i.e. the whole note transposition for the last chorus) and doing transposition for automation would often mean the chord sets and color coding make much less sense. It's very easy to accomplish by stacking Players though, just add a Note Echo after with only one repeat and minimum timing and you can automate transposition. :)
Thanks for the quick reply.

I really like the coloring coding, which makes it a bit easier for dummies like me :thumbup:
Reason12, Win10

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

29 Jun 2022

Looks cool. Is there any way to output the current chord to another instance? For example, play a chord sequence in the first instance, and via CV automatically quantize notes entering a second instance? If so, that would be really powerful for generative stuff.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

29 Jun 2022

Loque wrote:
29 Jun 2022
MattiasHG wrote:
29 Jun 2022

I really like the coloring coding, which makes it a bit easier for dummies like me :thumbup:
Just to correct myself, while there's no dedicated transpose feature like Octave in semi tones, you can still adjust the root note which kind of acts like transposition. For example go from C to D. But it's not +/- several semitones. :)

Kilsane

29 Jun 2022

Is it possible to play chords on a particular scale? Like the dominant Phrygian scale (Spanish in scales & chords) I really like this scale (I haven't fully understood the player yet, but I already like it, it remains quite accessible and easy to use.
Thank you for this player

PhillipOrdonez

29 Jun 2022

Can't wait to try this one!

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

29 Jun 2022

Kilsane wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Is it possible to play chords on a particular scale? Like the dominant Phrygian scale (Spanish in scales & chords) I really like this scale (I haven't fully understood the player yet, but I already like it, it remains quite accessible and easy to use.
Chord Sequencer is not built with strict music theory in mind. While "playing by the rules" might seem like the correct choice, we found both that there were plenty of products that did that and that in practice musicians tend to wander outside of a key quite a lot for much more interesting results. The chord sets in CS are selected and played by musicians with a certain genre or mood in mind and, on purpose, not locked down to a certain key.

However, if you want all chords to strictly conform to a key with no other notes you can add a Scales & Chords after and set up that scale. :)

You can read more about the design thoughts in our blog post: https://reasonstudios.com/blog/making-t ... sequencer/

Jac459

29 Jun 2022

MattiasHG wrote:
29 Jun 2022

Just to correct myself, while there's no dedicated transpose feature like Octave in semi tones, you can still adjust the root note which kind of acts like transposition. For example go from C to D. But it's not +/- several semitones. :)
Stop it and take my money!

(just kidding, I purchased it already anyway).
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Jagwah

29 Jun 2022

This is cool and something I could use. I like how you select chords on the interface and it seems very well thought out. It's nice to know Props can continue to constantly innovate like this with their flow of rack devices, and it's nice to know Props can do 'modern' well - those slick green lines and the whole lay out feels very apt for its day, it begs the question however - why can't they put this same attention into the sequencer, ugh! Not to be all negative though, it's a cool device, nice to see it released.

What version of Reason do you need to be on to use this? Can't find that info.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

29 Jun 2022

Jagwah wrote:
29 Jun 2022
This is cool and something I could use. I like how you select chords on the interface and it seems very well thought out. It's nice to know Props can continue to constantly innovate like this with their flow of rack devices, and it's nice to know Props can do 'modern' well - those slick green lines and the whole lay out feels very apt for its day, it begs the question however - why can't they put this same attention into the sequencer, ugh! Not to be all negative though, it's a cool device, nice to see it released.

What version of Reason do you need to be on to use this? Can't find that info.
It works on Reason 10.1 and upwards, and it's of course included in Reason+

Kilsane

29 Jun 2022

MattiasHG wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Kilsane wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Chord Sequencer is not built with strict music theory in mind. While "playing by the rules" might seem like the correct choice, we found both that there were plenty of products that did that and that in practice musicians tend to wander outside of a key quite a lot for much more interesting results. The chord sets in CS are selected and played by musicians with a certain genre or mood in mind and, on purpose, not locked down to a certain key.

However, if you want all chords to strictly conform to a key with no other notes you can add a Scales & Chords after and set up that scale. :)

You can read more about the design thoughts in our blog post: https://reasonstudios.com/blog/making-t ... sequencer/
Thank you for the answer, by doing some tests I start to get more or less what I want

Jagwah

29 Jun 2022

MattiasHG wrote:
29 Jun 2022
It works on Reason 10.1 and upwards, and it's of course included in Reason+
Cool! :D
Last edited by Jagwah on 29 Jun 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

29 Jun 2022

MattiasHG wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Loque wrote:
29 Jun 2022

Ok, thats cool. Guess this can be automated at least.
Reason12, Win10

ebeneezer

29 Jun 2022

MattiasHG wrote:
29 Jun 2022
Kilsane wrote:
29 Jun 2022

Ahhh... That's not really made clear in the short video and I'd assumed all the chord suggestions, including the "surprise" ones were respecting eg E major's scale. Which sounded maybe useful to a music theory novice but a bit too limited. But the fact it offers non-diatonic choices (ie chords outside the scale) makes this a whole lot more interesting.... :D

Synthopathe

29 Jun 2022

This looks interesting :thumbs_up:
I recently got the Roland Aira Compact J6 for doing this sort of thing with hardware but this will still be a nice addition.

• Information