Announced Device: Chord player. What would you like to see?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Loque

26 Jun 2022

BRIGGS wrote:
26 Jun 2022
yay :puf_smile: :clap:

Obviously a "connect 4" game. Good idea! :clap: :thumbup:

connecting-connect4.gif
connecting-connect4.gif (46.37 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
connect-four.gif
connect-four.gif (27.21 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
Reason12, Win10

stratatonic

26 Jun 2022

https://www.onemotion.com/chord-player/

Browser based. Would like to see this on iOS/mobile

jam-s

26 Jun 2022

BRIGGS wrote:
26 Jun 2022

The feedback to this post from the audience is rather (rotten) tomatoes and eggs so far. At least nobody seems to have mobilized the pitchforks, yet. :twisted:

joeyluck

26 Jun 2022

jam-s wrote:
26 Jun 2022
BRIGGS wrote:
26 Jun 2022

The feedback to this post from the audience is rather (rotten) tomatoes and eggs so far. At least nobody seems to have mobilized the pitchforks, yet. :twisted:
Yeah it's the same old "work on the DAW and not new REs" talk, no matter how often people are told the development is separate.

Creativemind

26 Jun 2022

joeyluck wrote:
26 Jun 2022
jam-s wrote:
26 Jun 2022

Yeah it's the same old "work on the DAW and not new REs" talk, no matter how often people are told the development is separate.
What development?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Billy+

26 Jun 2022

joeyluck wrote:
26 Jun 2022
I think the problem is that even though we keep getting told it's different teams responsible for RE development and the DAW team are hard at work we just don't seem to have the same forward momentum getting the DAW working as the RE team keep knocking out RE's.

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing what the "progression player" is capable of but just this week I've got messages from people who couldn't resist the massive discount on R12 upgrade (against my decision) saying WTF I thought Reason was "fixed" only to find out it isn't. (I told them)

This isn't going away until the next update actually solves the problems and knocking out new devices is going to be muddied every time - maybe RS can keep going this way but eventually the team is going to need to focus on the DAW and I'm not talking about "features".

stratatonic

26 Jun 2022

Creativemind wrote:
26 Jun 2022
joeyluck wrote:
26 Jun 2022

What development?
:lol:

Bro, there is development.
The one dev working on the DAW is doing the best he can.
The other 6 devs are cranking out devices and players to bring in a steady stream of revenue.

stratatonic

26 Jun 2022

stratatonic wrote:
26 Jun 2022

:lol:

Bro, there is development.
The one dev working on the DAW is doing the best he can.
Whoops, sorry according to recent blog, Robotic Bean is now a DAW dude. Make that two.

(but I suspect that Reason Studios will call on him for expertise on devices as well)

joeyluck

26 Jun 2022

And aside from separate internal teams, what was the last player RS developed without hiring a 3rd party?

My point is that the people making these arguments are trying too hard and not paying attention.

AnotherMathias

28 Jun 2022

The whole idea that we shouldn’t get to moan about them producing more devices (rather than developing the DAW) because they are two separate teams strikes me as bizarre.

Surely it’s entirely Reason Studio’s own decision about which team to allocate more manpower and resources to?

chimp_spanner

28 Jun 2022

As much as I want the program to get some love, it does suck to see virtually everything they post about get dunked on. If the community was trying to send a message, I'm assuming it's been received. But it'd still be good if the device could be received and judged on its own merits, as opposed to problems it was never designed to fix.

joeyluck

28 Jun 2022

AnotherMathias wrote:
28 Jun 2022
The whole idea that we shouldn’t get to moan about them producing more devices (rather than developing the DAW) because they are two separate teams strikes me as bizarre.

Surely it’s entirely Reason Studio’s own decision about which team to allocate more manpower and resources to?
They just released another update to the DAW today.

And as I mentioned, aside from separate internal teams, what was the last player RS made in which they didn't hire a 3rd party to develop it?

Billy+

28 Jun 2022

joeyluck wrote:
28 Jun 2022
what was the last player RS made in which they didn't hire a 3rd party to develop it?
looks like they generally outsource to a 3rd party ;)

AnotherMathias

28 Jun 2022

joeyluck wrote:
28 Jun 2022
They just released another update to the DAW today.

And as I mentioned, aside from separate internal teams, what was the last player RS made in which they didn't hire a 3rd party to develop it?
Yep, I'm downloading the update right now. I'm glad to see that they are hacking away bug fixes.
But we haven't seen that special Reason brand of cleverness and ingenuity for the DAW for a very long time. You know, the stuff that reminds us why we love to use Reason. And that the devs also love to use Reason.
What was the last "lightbulb moment" DAW feature? The introduction of players?

The fact they the development of players is generally 3rd party is neither here nor there. They still have to allocate money and (some) attention towards it.
They could equally well use 3rd party workforce and creativity to improve the DAW.

If a player is developed by a 3rd party person, and sold separately, then it's not really a Reason product, and not really a DAW improvement. The only difference between it and all the other players in the shop is that it's included in Reason+.
But perhaps that's your point?

It's a slightly different story with instrument and effects devices. Those, at least the really good ones, are still made in-house, I think. But they are still mostly sold separately.
It probably comes down to that each player or device can be an additional source of revenue (or an incentive for Reason+), while DAW improvements won't directly bring in money.

jam-s

28 Jun 2022

AnotherMathias wrote:
28 Jun 2022
The fact they the development of players is generally 3rd party is neither here nor there. They still have to allocate money and (some) attention towards it.
They could equally well use 3rd party workforce and creativity to improve the DAW.
The difference between having 3rd party devs work on new REs is that to do so the dev only needs the current (possibly beta) version of the RE SDK, but when working on the core product (sequencer, bugfixes, browser, etc.) a totally different toolchain is most likely needed. Also then RS would have to give out their source code to the 3rd party which might be challenging from a security POV.

Kilsane

28 Jun 2022

rgdaniel

28 Jun 2022

Oh great, all that work on hi-res and the new player is not even in focus! Come on people!
;) ;) :lol:

Billy+

28 Jun 2022

Even though that image is blurred it looks to have a similar control panel to bassline generator and pattern buttons - I hope that it's got some kind of rhythm section and the ability to create arpeggios rather than static progressions.

Wonder if they will do a stream?
I hope Ryan has a good video ready for the morning.

The only request would be to make sure that any combination patches are converted to cmbv1 so that us holdouts can enjoy it fully ;)

moneykube

28 Jun 2022

Billy+ wrote:
28 Jun 2022
Even though that image is blurred it looks to have a similar control panel to bassline generator and pattern buttons - I hope that it's got some kind of rhythm section and the ability to create arpeggios rather than static progressions.

The only request would be to make sure that any combination patches are converted to cmbv1 so that us holdouts can enjoy it fully ;)
yes please... although I folded during the last sale... it just sits in my account waiting for the kraken to be released :lol:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Billy+

28 Jun 2022

moneykube wrote:
28 Jun 2022
Billy+ wrote:
28 Jun 2022

yes please... although I folded during the last sale... it just sits in my account waiting for the kraken to be released :lol:
:lol: yeah %60 off sure was tempting but considering what's still missing made it easier for me to pass on, I think I'm going to keep my money until they start including what I'm paying for.

dioxide

28 Jun 2022

I'm old enough to remember when Propellerhead used to tell us that the forums were unfairly negative and everything was hunky dory on their social channels.

Propellerhands

28 Jun 2022

Grimlucky wrote:
04 Jun 2022
I’d like to see RS enable VST midi out so I can use Scaler, Chord Prism, Captain Chords etc.
And Ctulhu!

Though there are a few overly complicated workarounds on YouTube, but..overly complicated and not fun.
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

moneykube

28 Jun 2022

Billy+ wrote:
28 Jun 2022
:lol: yeah %60 off sure was tempting but considering what's still missing made it easier for me to pass on, I think I'm going to keep my money until they start including what I'm paying for.
I thought hey I can wait awhile longer... perhaps if they need cash to speed up completing their goals...maybe... just maybe ... those that caved helped. I can wait until 13 to authorize it since I find reason 11, with all the racks and VST I have now., mind blowing enough... so much to learn... no real time for much music making in the summer anyways. The tobacco crop is now all in from last years potted winter survivors, that came through and even flowered from Christmas on( usually takes 2 years to get them big enough in Canada> IF they don't get hailed out, which seems a recurrent theme of late... But got some big ones planted in the dirt part of the greenhouse today... the baby tobaccos are always slow... need transplanting in separate pots and thinned, for next summer growing of those that survive( pots in in winter with a couple grow lights) ... potatoes and beens doing well... carrots, hot peppers, and radishes are a popping... weeds are almost killed for a day or two. Was dealing with a spaded cat in quarantine for 2 weeks because of the operation... she was trying to eat through screens and even made it through the poorest screen ( or chink in our armour) escaped easily and climbed the vines to the roof of the house and got stuck on the roof... lol... the great escape at week one of lock down...The screen door now has a wire metal grate as well as a screen ( no escape except the 1000 mph run at the door whenever the outside beckons :lol: ) , last 3 days freedom... climbing trees... hanging out on my shed to watch what is in the trees... chasing all the cat intruders away while hanging out with my wife and me gardening... she likes watching people work . A very curious cat !... She helped plant tobacco today ! :puf_wink: My ancestors from Hungary, came to this country and grew tobacco for a broad area here. I found that out from my uncle> after I started growing them 7 years ago... I guess I am continuing the tradition on a much smaller level.
NO CHEMICALS !
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

challism

29 Jun 2022

dioxide wrote:
28 Jun 2022
I'm old enough to remember when Propellerhead used to tell us that the forums were unfairly negative and everything was hunky dory on their social channels.
I'm old enough to remember people using phrases like hunky dory.

I'd agree that forums are overwhelmingly negative, but so are most social media threads (in my observances).
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

rorystorm

29 Jun 2022

challism wrote:
29 Jun 2022

I'm old enough to remember people using phrases like hunky dory.

Annnnd, I'm old enough to remember when Hunky Dory was released.

• Information