Abl question

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
graeme75

21 May 2022

Hi

Having a bit of bother trying to record the pattern from the ABL 3 RE into pattern mutator. PM just won’t receive anything, can anyone help with the set up please?
Just wanting to record an 8 step pattern generated from within ABL directly into PM and then mutate it from there

Billy+

21 May 2022

I don't believe that you can export/bounce/record the midi data from ABL so you won't be able to record it into PM.

orthodox
RE Developer

21 May 2022

You can't record it in Reason standalone, except if you use MIDI loopback. In Reason Rack Plugin it's simple, just use Midi Out device.

Though, in Reason standalone, you can route ABL3 notes directly to a Player. Use a Combinator to convert CV to MIDI. Route the Gate/Note CV output from ABL3 to a combi and put the (PM) Player inside it. I don't have neither ABL3 nor PM, but here is what it looks like:

joeyluck

21 May 2022

There is also Lectric Panda's CV Player Tap (free) which makes it very easy.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... layer-tap/

Just insert that above the Pattern Mutator and send the Gate and Note CV outputs from ABL3 to CVPT.

CVPT ABL3.png
CVPT ABL3.png (591.11 KiB) Viewed 604 times

Curious though, why not use ABL3's advanced random/next seed and density sliders? I like that I can hear the changes with the sliders in real-time.

Billy+

21 May 2022

joeyluck wrote:
21 May 2022

Just insert that above the Pattern Mutator and send the Gate and Note CV outputs from ABL3 to CVPT.

CVPT ABL3.png

Curious though, why not use ABL3's advanced random/next seed and density sliders? I like that I can hear the changes with the sliders in real-time.
That's handy to know, will the sequence work the same? Slides accents etc...

joeyluck

21 May 2022

Billy+ wrote:
21 May 2022
joeyluck wrote:
21 May 2022

CVPT ABL3.png

That's handy to know, will the sequence work the same? Slides accents etc...
Hmmm. I gets mixed results with the setup I shared. It might be because the ABL3 sending the pattern should be separate from the CVPT and Pattern Mutator? There might be a workflow thing I'm overlooking. You'll want to adjust the gate to be a little shorter in Pattern Mutator.

Either way, I would assume if you're sending the pattern to something else to mutate it, you probably don't care if it's exact? If you need to edit precise things, you jump into ABL3's Grid Edit mode. But again, if wanting to mutate, I personally would use ABL3's own randomizer. I like it better than Pattern Mutator for the patterns it creates and the real-time results when using the sliders. It's a better experience because of that.

Because of that, it's my first time trying it with CVPT. It does everything so perfectly in the box. I do send CV out to control non-ABL3 devices like adding synths to play along with it or triggering drums like this patch: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=7526956

graeme75

22 May 2022

Thanks for all the replies, a new question that this has thrown up is - is it possible to map the controls to the combinator 2. The controls for New Seed, Apply, and the sliders for notes, gate, slides and accent that are on the bottom mode of Abl?

joeyluck

22 May 2022

graeme75 wrote:
22 May 2022
Thanks for all the replies, a new question that this has thrown up is - is it possible to map the controls to the combinator 2. The controls for New Seed, Apply, and the sliders for notes, gate, slides and accent that are on the bottom mode of Abl?
Not for those custom display items. You'll just have to open the Combinator to adjust them.

• Information