Comparing Jiggery Pokery Combo Organs (Compact, Continental, 310, B3, X-705, Ch Supernova)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
challism

18 May 2022

JiggeryPokery wrote:
17 May 2022
Yes, you're spot on.

And indeed it's not possible to replicate that sync-lock aspect of divide-down oscillators with samples, and honestly the price reflects this
I don't think anyone can complain about the prices... especially during this End of the World sale.
Really can't complain about the quality, either. I think JP have top notch products. <3
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 May 2022

Right I love my Continental and my Compact. I really do.
I’ve got the Gforce RE-Strings. I’ve got the IKMultimedia B3.
With all that in mind can anyone sell me on the x-705 and the 310?
And obviously I used up my trials a long time ago.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

18 May 2022

MrFigg wrote:
18 May 2022
Yes, obviously.
Don't you usually use up your trials within seconds of a new RE hitting the shop? :)

I'm not the right guy to sell you on 310 or 705. I'm trialing 705 and I'm really liking it. I guess I went with trialing 705 over 310 because it has a bigger discount right now. I decided not to try all of the Combos right now because I can't buy them all at the moment and I don't want to waste the trials. I would hate to come on RT in the future and ask questions about REs I already tried; how embarrassing that must be! HA HA HA

dvdrtldg

18 May 2022

MrFigg wrote:
18 May 2022
I have them both and while I often drag them out for a bit of fun, they're both very "niche" imo. 310 is good for more conventional organ sounds, and x-705 can take you further into wacky sound design territory, but they're both extremely retro-sounding and I don't get much out of them for everyday use

Like, if you want to actually recreate the golden tones of a 1974 Klaus Wunderlich Plays The Best of Bert Kaempfert album, or you're composing a score for a black & white sci fi monster movie, then you'll be all over these. Or if you're into Jean Michel Jarre, god help you, then one of these is supposedly the instrument he used for one of his cosmic hippy snorefests *COUGH* sorry, much-loved ambient masterpieces

I'm glad I have them, like they really are beautiful sounding instruments and the attention to detail is amazing. I'm also thinking of getting Champagne SuperNova, just to round out the retro collection. But for me they're an indulgence rather than a go-to choice

motuscott

18 May 2022

"Hippy SnoreFest"
Dyin' over here....
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 May 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
18 May 2022
MrFigg wrote:
18 May 2022
I have them both and while I often drag them out for a bit of fun, they're both very "niche" imo. 310 is good for more conventional organ sounds, and x-705 can take you further into wacky sound design territory, but they're both extremely retro-sounding and I don't get much out of them for everyday use

Like, if you want to actually recreate the golden tones of a 1974 Klaus Wunderlich Plays The Best of Bert Kaempfert album, or you're composing a score for a black & white sci fi monster movie, then you'll be all over these. Or if you're into Jean Michel Jarre, god help you, then one of these is supposedly the instrument he used for one of his cosmic hippy snorefests *COUGH* sorry, much-loved ambient masterpieces

I'm glad I have them, like they really are beautiful sounding instruments and the attention to detail is amazing. I'm also thinking of getting Champagne SuperNova, just to round out the retro collection. But for me they're an indulgence rather than a go-to choice
Thanks. You got me at snorefests. zzzzzzzz!!!!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

fullforce

19 May 2022

motuscott wrote:
13 May 2022
Bet you can't eat just one.
I have most of them. JP's work is immaculate.
He's the best.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 May 2022

It might not be that good for organ sounds, but I personally really like the Champagne SuperNova Synth. But then I've never been too big on organ sounds myself.
I find SuperNova to be quite a charming instrument. That's another synth I need to get back to at some point.

Gardinski

19 May 2022

MrFigg wrote:
18 May 2022
I really like the 310. I remember being absolutely blown away by the sound as soon as I 'trialed' it, and I think I bought it within about 20 minutes. I've never done that before or since with any other RE. (I usually leave it until the very end of the 30 days before deciding.)

The x-705 is 'interesting'. It's certainly quirky, but I don't think I've ever really used it for anything. The cheese factor is strong with this one, and it's fun to tinker with, but it's definitely an acquired taste.

Champagne Supernova is the only Jiggery-Pokery organ I don't own. It just never really grabbed me. I wanted to like it, but it just felt like a bit of a one-trick pony, from what I recall.

Gardinski

19 May 2022

Ahhh, damn it. Now you've made me go back to the X-705 and I've fallen in love with its freaky sci-fi charms all over again.

Bang goes another night's sleep.

motuscott

19 May 2022

Sleep? I used to do that when I was young.

motuscott

19 May 2022

Seriously kids,
sleep all you can, these options are not available to us elders, You just get tired, sleep not on the menu.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 May 2022

Hmmm...back to this. Don't think the 705 is for me as I really can't be bothered with 50s sci-fi. If anything it'd be the 310 but I've got the GForce Re-Strings which seems to do the Eminent...so...soooo? Reasons to get the 310 other than GAS?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 May 2022

JiggeryPokery wrote:
17 May 2022
Matt...got the Combo 310. I'm probably doing something wrong...or right maybe. Noticed that on a lot of the patches when I turn up the drive releasing the keys gives a sort of "rebound" sound. Now I'm figuring it has to do with the reverb so I turned that down to zero and I don't get a sound when I release the key. If I turn the reverb up however, even very slightly to 0.1 I get the "rebound" when I release the key.
Try Duckworth Horns...speaker on direct input, drive on full, everything else on zero. Delay mix off. Drag the Reverb slider down to zero and play a note. Then set the slider at 0.1 and play a note and you'll hear what I mean.
What am I doing wrong or is this expected behaviour?
Actually, if anyone else can tell me in the meantime what's going on that'd be great.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

21 May 2022

On the X-705... I don't know what I'm doing wrong here, but I can't seem to get the "bass" slider to put out any sound when all other sliders are turned down. And I can't hear any difference in the bass level when other sliders are at audible levels. What am I missing here?

Solved/Edit: I had luck getting the bass to solo for patched that say "C-1 to B0" in the title. Like Bass Legato, Bass Section and Deep Bass. That made me realize that the bass only responds to that specific range of notes. I thought I had already tested it on all note ranges before posting this video. Anyway..... nothing to see here. Bass responds to bass notes within a range, like a real synth/organ in split keyboard mode.

• Information