Which of your REs have you (pretty much) never used?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 8110
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 05 May 2022

Chi-Individual wrote:
05 May 2022
I have both Heavyocity REs and I don’t think I’ve played more than 10patches from each before deleting them. I need to revisit those.
You really don’t. They’re so bad that props removed them from the shop after a whole load of people bought them in a sale and then complained about how crap they were.
丰2ॐ

Chi-Individual
Posts: 209
Joined: 09 Apr 2020

Post 05 May 2022

MrFigg wrote:
05 May 2022
Chi-Individual wrote:
05 May 2022
I have both Heavyocity REs and I don’t think I’ve played more than 10patches from each before deleting them. I need to revisit those.
You really don’t. They’re so bad that props removed them from the shop after a whole load of people bought them in a sale and then complained about how crap they were.
Thank you for saving me the trouble and disc space. I didn't know most thought they were crap like I did.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 8110
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 05 May 2022

Chi-Individual wrote:
05 May 2022
MrFigg wrote:
05 May 2022


You really don’t. They’re so bad that props removed them from the shop after a whole load of people bought them in a sale and then complained about how crap they were.
Thank you for saving me the trouble and disc space. I didn't know most thought they were crap like I did.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7507062&hilit=Aeon

Here’s the thread.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
dvdrtldg
Posts: 1950
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 05 May 2022

MrFigg wrote:
05 May 2022
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7507062&hilit=Aeon

Here’s the thread.
Oh my god, the drama queenery going on in that thread

I get that they're badly designed, and overpriced, and flat out don't work properly. But people taking offence at their very existence in the shop is ridiculous. To anyone like me who owns them and is inclined to regret the purchase, here are two helpful tips:

1. Resolve from now on to trial all RE purchases before buying, and be grateful for the lesson

2. The best way to soothe your anguish is to find a use for them. It's not that hard - the Organic one has some decent pluck sounds, the Synth one can do a nasty fat bass, the Punish knob on both of them can bring things to life, the inbuilt sequencer is fun. They're useless for pads because the samples don't loop? Fine, don't use them for pads. This patch has a muddy low end? Dry your eyes, you quite possibly have an EQ in your FX collection, it might help. Find out what they *can* do, get freaky with them, abuse them, layer them with other instruments. Do this and I promise you, you'll eventually emerge from the Abyss of Trauma and rediscover a reason for living. Just take it one day at a time

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 8110
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 05 May 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
05 May 2022
MrFigg wrote:
05 May 2022
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7507062&hilit=Aeon

Here’s the thread.
Oh my god, the drama queenery going on in that thread

I get that they're badly designed, and overpriced, and flat out don't work properly. But people taking offence at their very existence in the shop is ridiculous. To anyone like me who owns them and is inclined to regret the purchase, here are two helpful tips:

1. Resolve from now on to trial all RE purchases before buying, and be grateful for the lesson

2. The best way to soothe your anguish is to find a use for them. It's not that hard - the Organic one has some decent pluck sounds, the Synth one can do a nasty fat bass, the Punish knob on both of them can bring things to life, the inbuilt sequencer is fun. They're useless for pads because the samples don't loop? Fine, don't use them for pads. This patch has a muddy low end? Dry your eyes, you quite possibly have an EQ in your FX collection, it might help. Find out what they *can* do, get freaky with them, abuse them, layer them with other instruments. Do this and I promise you, you'll eventually emerge from the Abyss of Trauma and rediscover a reason for living. Just take it one day at a time
I don’t think RS made the decision to immediately remove them from the shop based on the “drama queenery” of a small handful of users on a forum.
丰2ॐ

DJMaytag
Posts: 540
Joined: 17 Jun 2015
Location: Madison, WI

Post 23 May 2022

Holy moly… I have 146 RE’s, and I swear I don’t use that many of them. Better to say which ones I DO use quite often:

Blamsoft Polymodular Audio Merger
Jiggery Pokery TMA-x Commentators
Kilohearts Delay
Kilohearts Trance Gate
Kilohearts Haas
Presteign Sound Labs Macro
Primal Audio PMS-20
Reason Drum Sequencer
Reason B*VX
Reason Pulsar
Reason Algoritm
RB Sequences
RB CV-I & CV-O
Synapse Obsession
Tonic Mint CV Pistons

Ouch… I may need to rethink how many RE’s I buy…

Jac459
Posts: 293
Joined: 29 Mar 2022
Location: Singapore

Post 24 May 2022

rootwheel wrote:
03 May 2022
MrFigg wrote:
03 May 2022


It’s weak sounding. Lounge Lizard kicks it out the park. Sampleson stuff likewise. Bought RK when it was released and never liked it.
Have to disagree with this one. Lounge Lizard has always sounded fake to me. Radical Keys sounds far more like a real Rhodes or Wurlitzer.
I agree, radical keys with rotor is very fun and sound awesome too me.
(tbh, friktion with a guitar and a bit of distortion and rotor is fun too).

Jac459
Posts: 293
Joined: 29 Mar 2022
Location: Singapore

Post 25 May 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
05 May 2022
MrFigg wrote:
05 May 2022
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7507062&hilit=Aeon

Here’s the thread.
Oh my god, the drama queenery going on in that thread

I get that they're badly designed, and overpriced, and flat out don't work properly. But people taking offence at their very existence in the shop is ridiculous. To anyone like me who owns them and is inclined to regret the purchase, here are two helpful tips:

1. Resolve from now on to trial all RE purchases before buying, and be grateful for the lesson

2. The best way to soothe your anguish is to find a use for them. It's not that hard - the Organic one has some decent pluck sounds, the Synth one can do a nasty fat bass, the Punish knob on both of them can bring things to life, the inbuilt sequencer is fun. They're useless for pads because the samples don't loop? Fine, don't use them for pads. This patch has a muddy low end? Dry your eyes, you quite possibly have an EQ in your FX collection, it might help. Find out what they *can* do, get freaky with them, abuse them, layer them with other instruments. Do this and I promise you, you'll eventually emerge from the Abyss of Trauma and rediscover a reason for living. Just take it one day at a time
Haha, I think I quite agree with your point...

User avatar
mcatalao
Posts: 1630
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 25 May 2022

I think there aren't many Re's that pass thought that unless i found a better replacement in a new Re or VST.

Probably best examples, are:
Predator replaced by Predator 3 in new projects.
Ozone maximizer by the Ozone plugin
Softube Dynamite was used a lot for de-essing, and now i use Selig's de-esser.
Red Queen was either replaced by selig's eq or also Izotope eq's (not that it's worse but i changed the workflow a bit)
I almost stopped using PX7 for new patches, use it a lot for older stuff, but for creating new stuff, i use Algorithm.

I don't think there are many Re's i've bought and never used.

User avatar
DaveyG
Posts: 1706
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 25 May 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
05 May 2022
Oh my god, the drama queenery going on in that thread
I didn't even read the thread but it has literally actually literally ruined my life.
I know, right?

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 8110
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 25 May 2022

DaveyG wrote:
25 May 2022
dvdrtldg wrote:
05 May 2022
Oh my god, the drama queenery going on in that thread
I didn't even read the thread but it has literally actually literally ruined my life.
I know, right?
Good luck with getting your life back together.
丰2ॐ

rootwheel
Posts: 290
Joined: 21 Aug 2021

Post 26 May 2022

mcatalao wrote:
25 May 2022
Softube Dynamite was used a lot for de-essing, and now i use Selig's de-esser.
I used to use Softube Dynamite for de-essing but now I use FabFilter Pro-DS. I still use the Dynamite a lot but now for creating bolstering sounds - really squashing something so that it sits so well in the mix it can't be heard normally until you mute the channel and then you immediately hear what's not there any more - if that makes sense :)

User avatar
moofi
Posts: 955
Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Location: hear

Post 27 May 2022

I truely recommend checking out DCAM EnvShaper. I use it on bascially every drumrelated track, even if it´s simply to cut off a reverb tail.
Lowering the attack of an otherwise too agressive sound, rounding it off, is what I use it even more for.

Btw are there any other transient designers available as RE besides the FXpansion and the Kilohearts one?
KH´s transient shaper looks quite good, especially with the sidechain input and the pump. Havent trialed it yet and would like to do so in a quieter moment for testing, exploring, saying I would like to keep the trial for now.
Anyone got deeper experience with it? ´
TritoneAddiction wrote:
02 May 2022
For me there's a long list of things I've hardly ever used. I might have included some of them in one song right after purchase and then forgotten about them.


Hydronexius
ES-01 Analog Synthesizer
Omega Trimmer
Omega Mastering Clipper
DCAM EnvShaper
Psychedelic Haas Sample Slice Unit
PCM2612 Retro Decimator Unit
RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer
kHs Reverb
Tape Cassette Deck
Efektor TR3604 Tremolo
EVE-MP5 Program Equalizer
Efektor WF3607 Wah Filter
Vibro Wavetable Synthesizer
Complex-1 Modular Synthesizer
Pattern Mutator
Processed Pianos
RPDistort Effect
PunchBDRE Instrument
Selig Leveler
Nautilus Bass Synthesizer
Iridium Distortion Synth
SoedeSoft SidMaster
Delta MIDI Computer
Spring 905 Reverberation Effect
Isolate-X Frequency Isolator/Remover
Some of the Noise Engineering stuff I'm sure. Honestly I reach for them occasionally but I afterwards I have no idea which one I have and haven't used since they all look the same.


From this list I could see myself going back to revisit a few and dive a little deeper. Psychedelic Haas Sample Slice Unit, Vibro Wavetable Synthesizer, Pattern Mutator, Delta MIDI Computer.
Really I should make an entire EP just using my long list of REs above as inspiration.

User avatar
crimsonwarlock
Posts: 672
Joined: 06 Nov 2021
Location: Close to the Edge

Post 28 May 2022

moofi wrote:
27 May 2022
I truely recommend checking out DCAM EnvShaper.
That will be hard if you don't have it already, as it is no longer available in the shop.

User avatar
dvdrtldg
Posts: 1950
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 28 May 2022

moofi wrote:
27 May 2022
KH´s transient shaper looks quite good, especially with the sidechain input and the pump. Havent trialed it yet and would like to do so in a quieter moment for testing, exploring, saying I would like to keep the trial for now.
Anyone got deeper experience with it?
This review pretty much nails it imo https://www.reasontalk.com/2017/02/revi ... nt-shaper/ - it's a simple but effective plugin, very fast to dial in what you need, and amazingly artefact-free, even when pushed to extremes. I also agree with the review that it could use a wet/dry knob

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 8110
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 28 May 2022

moofi wrote:
27 May 2022

KH´s transient shaper looks quite good, especially with the sidechain input and the pump. Havent trialed it yet and would like to do so in a quieter moment for testing, exploring, saying I would like to keep the trial for now.
Anyone got deeper experience with it? ´
If you hurry you can get KHs Snapheap VST for free. That way you’ll got all the KHs plugins in VST format for free as well and then you can mess about with them all at your leisure before deciding whether you want the RE or not.
https://kilohearts.com/products/kilohearts_essentials
丰2ॐ

User avatar
moofi
Posts: 955
Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Location: hear

Post 29 May 2022

Woooh, thank you very much :-)
MrFigg wrote:
28 May 2022
moofi wrote:
27 May 2022

KH´s transient shaper looks quite good, especially with the sidechain input and the pump. Havent trialed it yet and would like to do so in a quieter moment for testing, exploring, saying I would like to keep the trial for now.
Anyone got deeper experience with it? ´
If you hurry you can get KHs Snapheap VST for free. That way you’ll got all the KHs plugins in VST format for free as well and then you can mess about with them all at your leisure before deciding whether you want the RE or not.
https://kilohearts.com/products/kilohearts_essentials

User avatar
moofi
Posts: 955
Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Location: hear

Post 29 May 2022

Simply gonna test it in VST or build a Combinator thatfor where I could implement a dry/wet aswell.
Thank you anyway. :-)
dvdrtldg wrote:
28 May 2022
moofi wrote:
27 May 2022
KH´s transient shaper looks quite good, especially with the sidechain input and the pump. Havent trialed it yet and would like to do so in a quieter moment for testing, exploring, saying I would like to keep the trial for now.
Anyone got deeper experience with it?
This review pretty much nails it imo https://www.reasontalk.com/2017/02/revi ... nt-shaper/ - it's a simple but effective plugin, very fast to dial in what you need, and amazingly artefact-free, even when pushed to extremes. I also agree with the review that it could use a wet/dry knob

User avatar
moofi
Posts: 955
Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Location: hear

Post 29 May 2022

It´s in Tritone´s list, reason I mentiioned it :-)
crimsonwarlock wrote:
28 May 2022
moofi wrote:
27 May 2022
I truely recommend checking out DCAM EnvShaper.
That will be hard if you don't have it already, as it is no longer available in the shop.

User avatar
crimsonwarlock
Posts: 672
Joined: 06 Nov 2021
Location: Close to the Edge

Post 29 May 2022

moofi wrote:
29 May 2022
It´s in Tritone´s list, reason I mentiioned it :-)
crimsonwarlock wrote:
28 May 2022


That will be hard if you don't have it already, as it is no longer available in the shop.
Aah, I missed that :puf_smile:

User avatar
dvdrtldg
Posts: 1950
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 29 May 2022

I guess it's not strictly an RE, but I never, ever use Note Echo, and I can't figure out why anyone would

It's just one of those devices that I have a huge mental block with. I understand how it works, I've read the manual and watched YouTube videos. It just doesn't gel with me at all

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Trendiction [Bot] and 1 guest