BV-X Multimode Vocoder available in the Shop (and Rewards Store)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Faastwalker

21 Apr 2022

Downloaded as R+ subscriber. But not sure I'd rush to the shop to buy a new Vocoder device. Does look good though.

But can it Bit Speak? Been tempted by SonicCharge's Bitspeek RE forever. But a bit pricey for what it does I guess.

sasasch

22 Apr 2022

Is it possible to use it as an Audio to Midi converter since it has a Build in pitch detect ? For playing a synth with a guitar for example ?

crimsonwarlock

22 Apr 2022

sasasch wrote:
22 Apr 2022
Is it possible to use it as an Audio to Midi converter since it has a Build in pitch detect ? For playing a synth with a guitar for example ?
Neptune also has a pitch detect to CV out.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

deeplink
Competition Winner

22 Apr 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
22 Apr 2022
sasasch wrote:
22 Apr 2022
Neptune also has a pitch detect to CV out.
And Complex-1 :)
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

QVprod

22 Apr 2022

sasasch wrote:
22 Apr 2022
Audio to CV yes, which will work for monophonically controlling synths. Midi would require a CV to midi converter which no RE does as of yet.

But if that’s all you want this for, there are cheaper options https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/brow ... udio+to+cv

buddard
RE Developer

22 Apr 2022

QVprod wrote:
22 Apr 2022
sasasch wrote:
22 Apr 2022
Audio to CV yes, which will work for monophonically controlling synths. Midi would require a CV to midi converter which no RE does as of yet.
The Combinator does CV to MIDI (that's sent to all devices inside the combi). :-)
You can also use players like CVPT and MIDI CV Interface to convert back and forth between MIDI and CV.

sofine

22 Apr 2022

Hi,

I can't seem to get midi into BV-X when I have it combined into a Combinator. I can see midi activity (the red light) when I select the BV-X directly, however, when I select the Combinator or indeed a player (scales & chords), while I see activity in the player / Combinator note in, no midi passes to BV-X.

This is in Reason 11 Suite standalone and in Live using Reason rack. PC, Win 10.

I may be missing something fundamental here, I am only starting to look at using Reason again after many years.

Thanks for any help.

deeplink
Competition Winner

22 Apr 2022

sofine wrote:
22 Apr 2022
Hi,

I can't seem to get midi into BV-X when I have it combined into a Combinator. I can see midi activity (the red light) when I select the BV-X directly, however, when I select the Combinator or indeed a player (scales & chords), while I see activity in the player / Combinator note in, no midi passes to BV-X.

This is in Reason 11 Suite standalone and in Live using Reason rack. PC, Win 10.

I may be missing something fundamental here, I am only starting to look at using Reason again after many years.

Thanks for any help.
Check to see if the BV-X is set to receive notes in the Combinator programmer. This should happen automatically but in your case perhaps it didn't?
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

EnochLight

22 Apr 2022

CYLON_HELP.jpg
CYLON_HELP.jpg (246.04 KiB) Viewed 2671 times

:puf_bigsmile: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

DaveyG

22 Apr 2022

EnochLight wrote:
22 Apr 2022
CYLON_HELP.jpg

That's weird. It's only a picture but I can definitely hear it speaking those words.

QVprod

22 Apr 2022

buddard wrote:
22 Apr 2022
QVprod wrote:
22 Apr 2022

The Combinator does CV to MIDI (that's sent to all devices inside the combi). :-)
You can also use players like CVPT and MIDI CV Interface to convert back and forth between MIDI and CV.
Good to know! :thumbs_up:

sofine

23 Apr 2022

deeplink wrote:
22 Apr 2022
sofine wrote:
22 Apr 2022
Hi,

Thanks for any help.
Check to see if the BV-X is set to receive notes in the Combinator programmer. This should happen automatically but in your case perhaps it didn't?
Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion. All seems fine in the programmer. In fact, it works as expected if I have an instrument in my combi, i.e., the player midi passes through to the nested instrument inside the combinator. If I use the exact same setup with the BV-X I get no midi passing through.

I wonder is this as I am using Reason 11 and not 12?

I will contact support.

StephenHutchinson

25 Apr 2022

supersmarter wrote:
21 Apr 2022
Shoukz wrote:
21 Apr 2022
milking the cow 12 or klauss schwab subscribtion 12 by great reset reason studio.
Exactly.

Now this silly Vocoder which looks like it's from 1995 and sounds just like any other 26th vocoder out there. When was the last time you saw anyone here asking for a new vocoder? WTH?

And again childish music, video for kids...

These guys make miss after miss and so on.
You know what?... I initially had the same "knee-jerk" reaction. I watched part of the live stream and wasn't super impressed with the talking into the mic/make your voice sound robotic... This was kind of a turn off, but I downloaded the BV-X trial and after an initial try with it, kinda gave it up... at least for a few days....

Then... Ryan's video came out, and it made wayyyyyyyy more sense, and had the detail I was looking for. I'm not going to use it for vocals, but to add some melodic stuff to drums hooked me, and within a couple minutes I had something really nice a groovy. I'm looking at it as an effect more than a vocoder and there are umpteen things you can play with in the interface so... I used my last $25 rewards points and bought it for $114 CAD.

I think experimentation is the key with this thing. Like all things Reason, there are probably more hidden things you can do with it than what Ryan mentioned in his video. I'm kind of excited to see where this takes me. I especially can't wait to patch my guitar into this thing and see what it can do!
Last edited by StephenHutchinson on 25 Apr 2022, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
Sound Design & Music Content Creation
Sound Dimension :: https://www.sounddimension.io

StephenHutchinson

25 Apr 2022

EnochLight wrote:
22 Apr 2022
CYLON_HELP.jpg

Hahaha I know that location... Bloor Meat Market is just down the road from me in Toronto!
Bloor Meat Market.jpg
Bloor Meat Market.jpg (331.39 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
Sound Design & Music Content Creation
Sound Dimension :: https://www.sounddimension.io

buddard
RE Developer

25 Apr 2022

sofine wrote:
23 Apr 2022
deeplink wrote:
22 Apr 2022

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion. All seems fine in the programmer. In fact, it works as expected if I have an instrument in my combi, i.e., the player midi passes through to the nested instrument inside the combinator. If I use the exact same setup with the BV-X I get no midi passing through.

I will contact support.

And you're adding the player on top of the combinator and not inside it, right?

sofine

25 Apr 2022

buddard wrote:
25 Apr 2022
sofine wrote:
23 Apr 2022

Hi,

I will contact support.

And you're adding the player on top of the combinator and not inside it, right?
Thanks for chiming in. Yes, I have inserted the player above the combinator. I've opened a support ticket.

sofine

27 Apr 2022

deeplink wrote:
22 Apr 2022
sofine wrote:
22 Apr 2022
Hi,

Thanks for any help.
My issue has been resolved. It was due to a very rare phenomenon knows as "user error" :)

Deeplink had correctly suggested I check that "receive notes" was on. I didn't realise it was a check box, and it was working with instruments by default, so I assumed it was "on" as I could see the text "receive notes". It seems it is off by default for effects, so I had to select the instance of BV-X in the programmer in order to be able to tick the check box for "receive notes" which then fixed my problem.

This might be of use to anyone as silly as me.

thedjjudah

27 Apr 2022

Is there any way to sell or buy rewards? I have 95 rewards, and with 5 more I would get BV-X for free. However, right now at 75 rewards I have to pay $25. So...

I'm willing to buy 5 rewards from whoever wants to sell them for anything less than $25. (If you want to charge me $24, I wouldn't be too happy, but I'd live.... kinda... :) )

tomusurp

28 Apr 2022

I gotta hand it to the Reason devs, just used the BV-X on some vocals for a song and I'm completely blown away. Fantastic effects and presets. Did I mention that I'm completely blown away....
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/@usurptom
https://www.usurptom.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

moneykube

28 Apr 2022

had great fun warping drums with this... modulate everything !... got it for 14 bucks with rewards even though I did not need it... I have 2 or 3 vocoders already... but had a shipload of rewards to use... it is worth every penny of the 14 dollars I paid.... not so much for the price tag of $139 CAD... stop making devices and fix the program as we have requested ever since you wrecked the program with vague timelines that only exist on mars
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

moneykube

28 Apr 2022

thedjjudah wrote:
27 Apr 2022
Is there any way to sell or buy rewards? I have 95 rewards, and with 5 more I would get BV-X for free. However, right now at 75 rewards I have to pay $25. So...

I'm willing to buy 5 rewards from whoever wants to sell them for anything less than $25. (If you want to charge me $24, I wouldn't be too happy, but I'd live.... kinda... :) )
I doubt this is even possible
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

thedjjudah

29 Apr 2022

Yeah, I didn't think so either, but I had to try!

I guess I gotta look for something in the shop that would yield 5 reward points. Something that, hopefully, wouldn't cost $25.

Steedus
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2022

thedjjudah wrote:
29 Apr 2022
Yeah, I didn't think so either, but I had to try!

I guess I gotta look for something in the shop that would yield 5 reward points. Something that, hopefully, wouldn't cost $25.
Sadly you’d have to spend $100 to gain back 5 points.

Tinnitus

01 May 2022

thedjjudah wrote:
27 Apr 2022

No, rewards are tied to your account. Seeing as 5 reward points will cost you 5x10 at a minimum, more like 75 to 100$, unless there is something else you might like to buy in the expected May sale, you should just pony up the 25$ imo.

demt

01 May 2022

Running it for vocals with my modular rig
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

• Information