What are some of the old/retro sounding REs?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

13 Mar 2022

So a couple of days ago I got this sudden urge to make music with "older" sounds. I already own Champagne SuperNova Vintage Synthesizer and JPS Harmonic Synthesizer and I like those.
I also just downloaded the trial for Re-Tron and ChamberTron and I find them quite interesting as well. But are there more of these older type of sounds/REs in the Shop? I prefer rack extensions over refills. Trying my best to stay away from VSTs/floating windows.
Not looking for 80s emulation stuff or anything newer sounding than that. I want older vibes.

Just to give some audio examples. This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for sound wise. It doesn't have to sound exactly like these, but something somewhat similar to these would be cool.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Mar 2022

You want vintage stuff then JP is your friend.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

13 Mar 2022

MrFigg wrote: ↑
13 Mar 2022
You want vintage stuff then JP is your friend.
Yeah his REs seems to be good for this type of stuff. Any personal favorites?

Aosta

13 Mar 2022

You could always look at Revival, get some nice retro stuff out of that with some fiddling.
Tend the flame

huggermugger

13 Mar 2022

I second Jiggery Pokery. Also, there's Radical Keys for Rhodes, Wurlitzer and Pianet sounds.

rootwheel

13 Mar 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote: ↑
13 Mar 2022
So a couple of days ago I got this sudden urge to make music with "older" sounds. I already own Champagne SuperNova Vintage Synthesizer and JPS Harmonic Synthesizer and I like those.
I also just downloaded the trial for Re-Tron and ChamberTron and I find them quite interesting as well. But are there more of these older type of sounds/REs in the Shop? I prefer rack extensions over refills. Trying my best to stay away from VSTs/floating windows.
Not looking for 80s emulation stuff or anything newer sounding than that. I want older vibes.

Just to give some audio examples. This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for sound wise. It doesn't have to sound exactly like these, but something somewhat similar to these would be cool.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... n/granada/ this is a really nice RE with sounds from a rare Italian 70's-era portable analog synthesizer. Should be right up your street...

dvdrtldg

13 Mar 2022

michael.jaye wrote: ↑
13 Mar 2022
Ivoks sounds pretty grainy!

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/
Ivoks is a gem. That filter

raymondh

13 Mar 2022

Synapse Audio The Legend.
Kinda odd, in that it's emulating a 70s synth that continues to be used so much, it doesn't seem vintage!

challism

14 Mar 2022

I'm surprised nobody has recommended Blamsoft VK-1, VK-2 or Synapse Legend. Doesn't get much more retro analog than Moog.
I own all three of these, and my favorite is VK-2. Seems like most people prefer Legend. Maybe I'm biased because I beta tested VK-2 and had been using it for years and years before I ever tried/owned Legend.

I'd also second the Ivoks and Revival suggestions (both are excellent at what they do, and the onboard FX of Revival are worth the cost of the synth alone - amazing!) Sadly, I don't own any of the JP synths... where to start on those? So many. Maybe I'll buy the bundles someday after winning a scratch off lotto ticket.

Edit: Didn't see raymondh's comment until just now.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Auryn

14 Mar 2022

the M-tron RE might scratch that itch

oh, you already download that - well, give it a try!

I don't think you're big into sampling, but otherwise I'd recommend going to a 2nd hand record shop or flea market and just grabbing some obscure vinyls from the 60ies/70ies or something. It's always hugely inspirational for me.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

rickrubin

14 Mar 2022

this one is good on every soft synth.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... colorizer/

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2022

Aosta wrote: ↑
13 Mar 2022
You could always look at Revival, get some nice retro stuff out of that with some fiddling.
Thanks. Haven't looked into that one at all actually. Don't think I'll be willing to pay €88 for it, but maybe I'll get the trial and make some music with it during those 30 days. Or wait for a sale if I find it really good.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2022

huggermugger wrote: ↑
13 Mar 2022
I second Jiggery Pokery. Also, there's Radical Keys for Rhodes, Wurlitzer and Pianet sounds.
I just noticed I'm already able to download Radical Keys. I didn't know I owned that one. :o Was that part of R11 Suite maybe? Anyway might play around with it.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2022

michael.jaye wrote: ↑
13 Mar 2022
Ivoks sounds pretty grainy!

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/
Yep Ivoks is cool. Have it already. But not really what I'm looking for for this particular thing. Can't put my finger on exactly what I'm after. It's more like, I know it when I here it. Perhaps I'm after something a bit more organic sounding. I don't know.

joeyluck

14 Mar 2022

I am a huge fan of all of the GForce stuff! Chambertron is my favorite! IMO it's one of the best sample-based REs. Gorgeous sounds!

And as others have mentioned, JP stuff is also excellent.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2022

raymondh wrote: ↑
13 Mar 2022
Synapse Audio The Legend.
Kinda odd, in that it's emulating a 70s synth that continues to be used so much, it doesn't seem vintage!
Legend is awesome. I've used it a lot for years in all kinds of songs. Yeah I think it can sound both a bit older and modern depending on what you do with it.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2022

challism wrote: ↑
14 Mar 2022
I'm surprised nobody has recommended Blamsoft VK-1, VK-2 or Synapse Legend. Doesn't get much more retro analog than Moog.
I own all three of these, and my favorite is VK-2. Seems like most people prefer Legend. Maybe I'm biased because I beta tested VK-2 and had been using it for years and years before I ever tried/owned Legend.

I'd also second the Ivoks and Revival suggestions (both are excellent at what they do, and the onboard FX of Revival are worth the cost of the synth alone - amazing!) Sadly, I don't own any of the JP synths... where to start on those? So many. Maybe I'll buy the bundles someday after winning a scratch off lotto ticket.

Edit: Didn't see raymondh's comment until just now.
Thanks. I have all three: Vk-1, Vk-2 and Legend. The Viking synths haven't gotten much use. Not sure why. I should explore them more. Still after scrolling through some patches from the two I'm not totally sure it's what I'm looking for in this particular instance. They sound cool/good, but it's not the vibe after. The JPS stuff, JPS Harmonic synth and Supernova just have an older vibe to them.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2022

Auryn wrote: ↑
14 Mar 2022
the M-tron RE might scratch that itch

oh, you already download that - well, give it a try!

I don't think you're big into sampling, but otherwise I'd recommend going to a 2nd hand record shop or flea market and just grabbing some obscure vinyls from the 60ies/70ies or something. It's always hugely inspirational for me.
The sampling idea sounds intriguing but I feel like that's a whole other project. Sounds interesting but very time consuming.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2022

rootwheel wrote: ↑
13 Mar 2022
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... n/granada/ this is a really nice RE with sounds from a rare Italian 70's-era portable analog synthesizer. Should be right up your street...
Interesting. Didn't even know this existed. I'll give it a spin.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2022

rickrubin wrote: ↑
14 Mar 2022
this one is good on every soft synth.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... colorizer/
Another RE I didn't even know about. I'll check it out. Thanks.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2022

joeyluck wrote: ↑
14 Mar 2022
I am a huge fan of all of the GForce stuff! Chambertron is my favorite! IMO it's one of the best sample-based REs. Gorgeous sounds!

And as others have mentioned, JP stuff is also excellent.
Yes I can certainly see myself making a little project using the GForce stuff.

crimsonwarlock

15 Mar 2022

PolySix, maybe. In comparisons between (real) Juno 60 and PolySix, it is often mentioned that the Juno sounds more modern (as in eighties modern) and the PolySix has more of a seventies sound.

Also, just any synthesizer through an amp(sim), with a bit of tape-echo, will give you that 70's sound, as that is what they used to do back then :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape β‡’ ESQ1 sequencer board β‡’ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 β‡’ Atari/Cubase β‡’ Cakewalk Sonar β‡’ Orion Pro/Platinum β‡’ Reaper β‡’ Reason DAW.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Mar 2022

Thanks. Found the demos for the first one in the list. Sounded alright. But for now I'm staying away from VSTs. The few VSTs I have I use out of necessity and not because I feel like using them. Maybe some day I'll get over my VST resistance.

• Information