New to Reason - which RE's and/or instruments for most fun, depth and useful experimentation?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
gkillmaster

26 Jan 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
26 Jan 2022
gkillmaster wrote:
25 Jan 2022
My music is kind of a cross between industrial and Martin Denny
:shock: I am interested and would like to hear more, please send me all your brochures

Lots of good suggestions here but I would recommend one FX unit that often gets overlooked: Sunder Amplitude Splitter

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -splitter/

Does what it says on the box: splits the signal into amplitude bands (rather than frequency bands), hi middle and low. Each band can be sent out to its own separate channel and treated with other FX, plus it has plenty of its own parameter modulation possibilities. Deceptively simple concept but it's full of surprises, and you can get some wild sounds going, particularly with beats, drum loops & other dynamic sources

Also two extremely cool (and free) VST synths you might not have discovered: Sinnah and Noisetar https://nusofting.com/plugins/sinnah/ https://nusofting.com/plugins/noisetar-freeware-synth/ - I won't bother crapping on about them, just check them out on the website. They're quite unusual and great for experimental sound design

Noise Engineering have some great REs for industrial type stuff, I particularly like their "reverb tail generator" Desmodus https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... /desmodus/ and their berserk distortion unit Ruina https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ion/ruina/ . Noise Engineering also have some nice free synths, check the shop

Finally check out Blamsoft VK-2 which is a giant roaring analog beast of a synth. Flip it around, start hooking oscillators up to each other, instant Merzbow

Could go on all day but that'll do for now. Please enjoy my own weirdoid Martin Denny stylings
Thanks these all are great to know about and check out. It's a nice space your've created there in that piece. Kinda reminds me of some experiments I've done recently using a program I really love called Forester. It runs in Max for Live demo so I guess that may be a turn off for some but it's extraordinary: http://leafcutterjohn.com/forester-2022/
You creature circular overlapped areas of either samples or effects and move through them so feels like moving through a sonic landscape or forest.

I love the Sunder idea! Never thought about doing that before. Can wait to give it a try! Thanks!

Here's my Soundcloud page. I took a hiatus cause of an illness so this is a little older work. Heading in a new direction recently. Maybe more Martin, less industry. Just now getting back into making songs again: https://soundcloud.com/ret-sam-llik

Thanks for taking the time to send these recommendations!

gkillmaster

26 Jan 2022

ekss wrote:
26 Jan 2022
If you’re getting the industrializer you might want to check out the multi fx bundle:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/bund ... fx-bundle/

If you’re looking for synths you might enjoy these:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/bund ... th-bundle/

Most of my REs are focused on experimental electronics, lofi, retro and undergound styles, if you want to save the trial period for later you can see most of them in jam/demo videos at my YouTube channel: https://youtube.com/user/ekss1983
Thanks, Ouroboros looks intriguing! I'll take a look.

gkillmaster

26 Jan 2022

Rostnomo Random Synthesizer looks pretty fun and useful!

WaxTrax

26 Jan 2022

Others have mentioned this, but I want to reiterate that if you are fairly new to the Reason ecosystem, the two biggest sales of the year are in May and in November for Black Friday. I bought the R11 Suite during BF 2020, and then several REs after BF before the introduction of R+ and before I knew about the big sales in May. I spent a LOT more money than I would have had I known about these two things (though I could not have known about R+ because unfortunately I am not clairvoyant). Unless you have money growing out of your ears and it doesn't matter, those two times of year are the best for acquisitions.

gkillmaster

26 Jan 2022

WaxTrax wrote:
26 Jan 2022
Others have mentioned this, but I want to reiterate that if you are fairly new to the Reason ecosystem, the two biggest sales of the year are in May and in November for Black Friday. I bought the R11 Suite during BF 2020, and then several REs after BF before the introduction of R+ and before I knew about the big sales in May. I spent a LOT more money than I would have had I known about these two things (though I could not have known about R+ because unfortunately I am not clairvoyant). Unless you have money growing out of your ears and it doesn't matter, those two times of year are the best for acquisitions.
Thank you for mentioning! Yes, I don't have money growing out of my ears or into my bank account so I very much appreciate it. Was actually wondering about this.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2022

I know it's easy to get into the mindset of always wanting to buy more. I've been there myself. I would encourage to work with what you have for a while.
If you're new to Reason then Europa, Grain, Algoritm and Complex-1 should cover A LOT of ground and keep you busy for at least a year if you dive a bit deeper into them. Are you sure you need more right now? I know the urge to get MORE can be strong though. :puf_smile:

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2022

If you’re interested in generative stuff and note processing, I don’t think there’s anything like Kompulsion.

crimsonwarlock

26 Jan 2022

Timmy Crowne wrote:
26 Jan 2022
If you’re interested in generative stuff and note processing, I don’t think there’s anything like Kompulsion.
How about PSQ1684.....

-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Threpus

26 Jan 2022

This is the most powerful midi manipulation tool I've ever used, in Reason or anywhere else:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -computer/

You can get a fully functional free trial, and buy via rent-to-own if you like.

dvdrtldg

26 Jan 2022

Timmy Crowne wrote:
26 Jan 2022
How are you using it? I've got Kompulsion and I like it, but I use it mostly as a straight-up sequencer/arp and and haven't really gotten too experimental with it. For generative stuff I tend to use PSQ-1684

Aosta

26 Jan 2022

For effects Echobode is a swiss army knife of fun to play with.
Tend the flame

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Jan 2022
I know it's easy to get into the mindset of always wanting to buy more. I've been there myself. I would encourage to work with what you have for a while.
If you're new to Reason then Europa, Grain, Algoritm and Complex-1 should cover A LOT of ground and keep you busy for at least a year if you dive a bit deeper into them. Are you sure you need more right now? I know the urge to get MORE can be strong though. :puf_smile:
When starting out it's easy to think all the big sounds require lots and lots of some unobtainable *something*.

Nowadays I find most of my instrument sounds come from the Triton VST even though I've got Kontakt Ultimate CE. Some of the free community Refills are still a massive part of my arsenal.

Iapetus 9

26 Jan 2022

gkillmaster wrote:
26 Jan 2022
It is fun, but make sure you put it in a combinator so you can save the sounds you like. All of Lectric Panda is must have stuff IMHO. The PSQ1684 is permanently in my Reason rack.
38L > 51D every time.

gkillmaster

26 Jan 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Jan 2022
Thank you! Definitely a good reminder and I agree with you about this. I always end up feeling a little overwhelmed by jumping ahead too far!

gkillmaster

26 Jan 2022

Iapetus 9 wrote:
26 Jan 2022
gkillmaster wrote:
26 Jan 2022
It is fun, but make sure you put it in a combinator so you can save the sounds you like. All of Lectric Panda is must have stuff IMHO. The PSQ1684 is permanently in my Reason rack.
Good advice about the combinator! Was able to set it up with Bassline Generator and it saved my random settings fine! For now, I couldn't even figure out how to use Rostnomo though. I guess it processes audio so I should place it after the instrument? I couldn't find any docs on it. It's free afterall... Yeh, PSQ is very interesting. Going to demo it tomorrow.
Last edited by gkillmaster on 26 Jan 2022, edited 1 time in total.

gkillmaster

26 Jan 2022

Aosta wrote:
26 Jan 2022
For effects Echobode is a swiss army knife of fun to play with.
I have the VST and and it's pretty unique and I get really good results from it fairly easily.

gkillmaster

26 Jan 2022

Threpus wrote:
26 Jan 2022
This is the most powerful midi manipulation tool I've ever used, in Reason or anywhere else:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -computer/

You can get a fully functional free trial, and buy via rent-to-own if you like.
Wow! This is crazy. Glad to know about it and will keep it in mind but for later. Looks super deep and complex. Going to play with a demo though soon. Thanks!

gkillmaster

26 Jan 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
26 Jan 2022
Timmy Crowne wrote:
26 Jan 2022
How about PSQ1684.....

Very very interesting. hmmm....

gkillmaster

26 Jan 2022

Well thanks a lot everyone. I really appreciate all the responses! Going to spend the day tomorrow trying a lot of these suggestions. I've narrowed it down to this list:

Nostromo 2
PSQ-1648
Kompulsion
Torsion Texture Lab
Evolution
Aggregate Music System
RND
Sunder
Evolution
Pattern Mutator
Oberon
Friktion
Parsec
INDSTRLZR
Iridium Distortion Synth

I'll probably get a couple of these this year for my birthday. Leaning towards Nostromo and PSQ-1648 but I'll wait til I've had a chance to demo them all. Having so much fun creating combinator with Rostnomo (free) and Bassline Generator. So much I can do with just those 2. Can easily control the sequence with the Combinator. I see how great Combinators are now!! Sounds amazing.

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
26 Jan 2022
Timmy Crowne wrote:
26 Jan 2022
How are you using it? I've got Kompulsion and I like it, but I use it mostly as a straight-up sequencer/arp and and haven't really gotten too experimental with it. For generative stuff I tend to use PSQ-1684
I’d probably have to make a video to demonstrate, but in a nutshell I do things like:
1. use the Mod page in Arp mode to bend incoming MIDI notes +/- a whole tone (followed by a Scales&Chords to quantize.)
2. use the Multiply/Divide page to create polyrhythmic patterns or abnormal swings (quintuplet, septuplet, etc.)
3. use the rear jacks to output chord voices to multiple synths.
4. automate randomized but sensible drum fills at the end of 4 or 8 bar loops.
5. use probabilities to create note triggers for other devices.
6. experiment with spread chord voicings with the octave page
7. Use the whole sequencer slowed way down as a cue matrix to control song arrangement. Like a Blocks mode in the rack.

dvdrtldg

26 Jan 2022

Timmy Crowne wrote:
26 Jan 2022
I’d probably have to make a video to demonstrate, but in a nutshell I do things like:
1. use the Mod page in Arp mode to bend incoming MIDI notes +/- a whole tone (followed by a Scales&Chords to quantize.)
2. use the Multiply/Divide page to create polyrhythmic patterns or abnormal swings (quintuplet, septuplet, etc.)
3. use the rear jacks to output chord voices to multiple synths.
4. automate randomized but sensible drum fills at the end of 4 or 8 bar loops.
5. use probabilities to create note triggers for other devices.
6. experiment with spread chord voicings with the octave page
7. Use the whole sequencer slowed way down as a cue matrix to control song arrangement. Like a Blocks mode in the rack.
Interesting, thanks. Will try all this out

Auryn

27 Jan 2022

gkillmaster wrote:
26 Jan 2022
Well thanks a lot everyone. I really appreciate all the responses! Going to spend the day tomorrow trying a lot of these suggestions. I've narrowed it down to this list:

Nostromo 2
PSQ-1648
Kompulsion
Torsion Texture Lab
Evolution
Aggregate Music System
RND
Sunder
Evolution
Pattern Mutator
Oberon
Friktion
Parsec
INDSTRLZR
Iridium Distortion Synth

I'll probably get a couple of these this year for my birthday. Leaning towards Nostromo and PSQ-1648 but I'll wait til I've had a chance to demo them all. Having so much fun creating combinator with Rostnomo (free) and Bassline Generator. So much I can do with just those 2. Can easily control the sequence with the Combinator. I see how great Combinators are now!! Sounds amazing.
You certainly have your work cut out for you! I'm just gonna add some general comments:

Nostromo 2 : on paper this synth sounds excellent, but I felt it was let down slightly by the fact that all the wavetables have a very similar sound. It's hard to get a wide variety of textures from the device. One user, Teflon Tomb (dunno if he's around...) made an utterly genius generative combinator with it though, called GNOST, that should be floating around here somewhere too

Torsion: I really wanted to like this but have yet to find a real use for it. I'd be curious if there are any other users that have had more succes or some patches to share?

PSQ-1648: this can certainly be used to create some interesting patterns but requires a level of abstract thinking my decidedly non-mathematical mind is scarcely capable of. I'd also be interested to see/hear some use scenarios from other users.

Sunder: super interesting concept, but actual results aren't great IMHO

Friktion: one of the most interesting in-house synths by RS, I've yet to buy it but it sounded great during the demo

Parsec: It's good but there are better, more versatile additive synthesizers in the reason roster IMHO. Europa is an evolution from parsec. Zero and Expanse also have pretty powerful additive functions. Not to mention Oberon of course...
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

crimsonwarlock

27 Jan 2022

Auryn wrote:
27 Jan 2022
Parsec: It's good but there are better, more versatile additive synthesizers in the reason roster IMHO.
Forgot to mention Spectra, which is now free:

-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Auryn

27 Jan 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
27 Jan 2022
Auryn wrote:
27 Jan 2022
Parsec: It's good but there are better, more versatile additive synthesizers in the reason roster IMHO.
Forgot to mention Spectra, which is now free:

Good call, Spectra has a bit of learning curve but it is powerful and has several unique functions
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

gkillmaster

27 Jan 2022

Auryn wrote:
27 Jan 2022

You certainly have your work cut out for you! I'm just gonna add some general comments:

Nostromo 2 : on paper this synth sounds excellent, but I felt it was let down slightly by the fact that all the wavetables have a very similar sound. It's hard to get a wide variety of textures from the device. One user, Teflon Tomb (dunno if he's around...) made an utterly genius generative combinator with it though, called GNOST, that should be floating around here somewhere too

Torsion: I really wanted to like this but have yet to find a real use for it. I'd be curious if there are any other users that have had more succes or some patches to share?

PSQ-1648: this can certainly be used to create some interesting patterns but requires a level of abstract thinking my decidedly non-mathematical mind is scarcely capable of. I'd also be interested to see/hear some use scenarios from other users.

Sunder: super interesting concept, but actual results aren't great IMHO

Friktion: one of the most interesting in-house synths by RS, I've yet to buy it but it sounded great during the demo

Parsec: It's good but there are better, more versatile additive synthesizers in the reason roster IMHO. Europa is an evolution from parsec. Zero and Expanse also have pretty powerful additive functions. Not to mention Oberon of course...
Thank you for this! Super great feedback and information. Valuable to me and I appreciate it. I get what you are saying about Nostromo. I have other synths that end up feeling like one kind of sound and lose their uniqueness from lack of variability in the timbre of the sound.

Interesting about PSQ. That was the first impression I had, how deep and technical it seemed. I have Permut 8 from Sonic Charge and it's fantastic and reminds me of PSQ-1648. Going to try it out today.

Seems like with Sunder, you could maybe make a combinator to achieve the same result.

I have a VST called Plasmonic which I love and it is immediately playable and especially good with MPE. The MPE is so well integrated, it's a joy to play and I have nothing else close to it in interesting moving sound. Because of this I was leaning away from Friktion a bit since the overall sound is similar but I bet if I spent time with it, I'd find some unique sounds I could use. I tried the demo and was impressed with the presets and sound coming out of my speakers.

Appreciate you thoughts on Parsec. I don't about those other additive synths but I hear great things about Blamsoft. I may scratch additive synths off my list. I have Alchemy, but have never spent any time with it.

Would love to hear what your most used creative inspiring plugins are!

• Information