RS Bassline Generator Sneak Peak

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
buddard
RE Developer

09 Dec 2021

MrFigg wrote:
09 Dec 2021
buddard wrote:
07 Dec 2021

Well, I'm ready to bet against you. ;)
Hörru!!! You owe me 7:- 😉🙃
:lol:
Nope, threre's nothing random about the algorithm that Bassline Generator uses, unlike Matrix and Mutator. :D

Gardinski

09 Dec 2021

Nah. It feels more Euclidean. This becomes obvious if you pare it right down to the simplest settings (ie. pattern 1 for both offbeat and onbeat).

I like it. As blasphemous as it may sound, I never really used Matrix for anything much, apart from some experiments with skittering hi-hats.

I am now going to have a bash at your Matrix->PatternMut->Scales&Chords idea though, just to see what it comes up with. It could make an interesting alternative.

joeyluck

09 Dec 2021

buddard wrote:
09 Dec 2021
MrFigg wrote:
09 Dec 2021

Hörru!!! You owe me 7:- 😉🙃
:lol:
Nope, threre's nothing random about the algorithm that Bassline Generator uses, unlike Matrix and Mutator. :D
Yeah my experience with it so far is that many basslines sound similar. I guess much of that has to do with the built-in patterns, but also the scale restriction. I'm hopeful that maybe a scale setting can be added later?

I like minor scales, but definitely not all the time. And I prefer to not to have to follow it with Scales and Chords player because then it makes the built-in sequencer inconsistent and hard to follow and work with. I'd like to be able to work with the built-in sequencer using a different defined scale. Also I can't see the instrument and Bassline Generator at the same time (with a Scales and Chords between) since we can't minimize individual players...not sure if that much needed feature will ever be added.

That and a shift feature would make this easier to use and get great results that fit a song without workarounds.

geronimo

09 Dec 2021

A Shift Left / Right function would also be welcome.

Gardinski

09 Dec 2021

geronimo wrote:
09 Dec 2021
Yup. That's currently my number one Christmas wish, just ahead of World Peace. (Actually, quite a long way ahead of World Peace.)

buddard
RE Developer

10 Dec 2021

Gardinski wrote:
09 Dec 2021
geronimo wrote:
09 Dec 2021
Yup. That's currently my number one Christmas wish, just ahead of World Peace. (Actually, quite a long way ahead of World Peace.)
As I mentioned in the other thread, there's a workaround for this using the pattern automation lane:

If you change snap in Reason's sequencer to 1/8 or 1/16 or whatever, you can move the pattern clips as much to the left or right as you want, and then resize the edges. The pattern "start point" will now be offset in relation to the song.

Screenshot 2021-12-10 at 08.42.00.png
Screenshot 2021-12-10 at 08.42.00.png (27.43 KiB) Viewed 2314 times

challism

10 Dec 2021

buddard wrote:
10 Dec 2021
Gardinski wrote:
09 Dec 2021

As I mentioned in the other thread, there's a workaround for this using the pattern automation lane:

If you change snap in Reason's sequencer to 1/8 or 1/16 or whatever, you can move the pattern clips as much to the left or right as you want, and then resize the edges. The pattern "start point" will now be offset in relation to the song.

Another workaround is to copy/record BLG's sequence into a secondary player and shift the notes left/right with the secondary player (turning the big knobs on PatMut will do this).

But it would be great to see this functionality added to BLG to simplify the process. Pattern shift is a pretty basic/standard feature that all sequencer devices should have; we really shouldn't have to use workaround for such a basic thing, in my most humble opinion.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

buddard
RE Developer

10 Dec 2021

challism wrote:
10 Dec 2021
buddard wrote:
10 Dec 2021

Another workaround is to copy/record BLG's sequence into a secondary player and shift the notes left/right with the secondary player (turning the big knobs on PatMut will do this).

But it would be great to see this functionality added to BLG to simplify the process. Pattern shift is a pretty basic/standard feature that all sequencer devices should have; we really shouldn't have to use workaround for such a basic thing, in my most humble opinion.
With all due respect, everyone has an opinion about which features should be standard in every sequencer (step shift, full scales support, one-shot, reverse, free rates, probability, trigger conditions, quantized pattern switching, better Remote/automation support, more patterns, etc, etc). If we heeded them all I think every device could potentially become a bloated mess. :-)

But yes, I agree that step shift could be very useful in this device (because sometimes you feel that the pattern should start on another beat), and if RS wants to add it in an update I will implement it!

I simply offered a workaround that people can use right now if they want to shift patterns without having to send the notes to a track or another player. :puf_smile:

challism

10 Dec 2021

buddard wrote:
10 Dec 2021

If we heeded them all I think every device could potentially become a bloated mess. :-)
YES PLEASE!
ha ha ha
buddard wrote:
10 Dec 2021
I simply offered a workaround that people can use right now if they want to shift patterns without having to send the notes to a track or another player. :puf_smile:
Your workaround is appreciated. Also... LOVE your work!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

nooomy

10 Dec 2021

Here is my video of using the bassline generator! :D

I really like it! it is super good to create basslines for tech-house!

• Information