Lab ONE Battle Axe - automatable FX chain matrix?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
challism

11 Nov 2021

It's been a long time since I trialed Battle Axe and I can't find the answer in the forum on the product page/website. It appears to not have a manual?

Anyway, I'm thinking Battle Axe could be a handy tool/solution to be used inside a Combi2 to rearrange the sequence of a serial chain. But they would need to be automatable/targets. Can someone who owns BattleAxe check this for me and see if they are automatable?

Secondary question, can the onboard FX be silenced or set to 100% dry, so they aren't affecting the incoming audio signals?

Thanks!
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (185.44 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Despondo
Competition Winner

11 Nov 2021

I just took a look and the Effects Chain Matrix section is not automatable. There is a Dry/Wet mix knob.

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

11 Nov 2021

Despondo wrote:
11 Nov 2021
I just took a look and the Effects Chain Matrix section is not automatable. There is a Dry/Wet mix knob.
Correct. Due to the way BattleAxe matrix grid works, automating it would be quite tricky due to it's custom-display logic and hot-swapping. Automating in not an option because of the way it has a memory when swapping from-and-to effects within the series chain.

The manual is here (on the RE shop page it's listed under 'about the developer') http://lab-one-recordings.co.uk/BATTLEAXEMANUAL.pdf

The effects when set so the knobs are all the way to the left is 0% effect (so techincally 100% dry). You still get the split mode function (pre filtering before going thorugh the effects chain) up the top right. You do also have the option of not using the internal effects (leave as 0%) but allow for external send+return effects chains which then can be swapped on the panel (but not via Combi 2 unfortunately)

challism

11 Nov 2021

OK. Thanks for chiming in. So I guess BattleAxe isn't the solution to this Combi issue. Seems my only workaround to this would be using a complicated series of Pongasoft switches and audio splitter/mergers. I've been meaning to start building something, but keep putting it off because it's going to be a big job.

Thanks again for chiming in.

Loque

11 Nov 2021

challism wrote:
11 Nov 2021
OK. Thanks for chiming in. So I guess BattleAxe isn't the solution to this Combi issue. Seems my only workaround to this would be using a complicated series of Pongasoft switches and audio splitter/mergers. I've been meaning to start building something, but keep putting it off because it's going to be a big job.

Thanks again for chiming in.
There is SPEM. Can it help?
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... cts-mixer/

Or maybe one of those?
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/bund ... ch-bundle/
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... audio-out/
Reason12, Win10

challism

11 Nov 2021

I tired using SPEM the other day for just this purpose, but the latency delay was killing me! I don't remember this being an issue before. Maybe it's yet another thing introduced by Reason 12? Has anybody else noticed it?

I'm not sure if the Le Note and Turn2On devices are any easier than just using Pongasoft switches.... they seem to be pretty much the same thing. Do the other devices bring something new to the table which would make them more beneficial? They all seem like basic audio switches that function as expected. I think what I'm wanting is different routing options, which would involve the use of switches (any switches, really) and mergers/splitters. Too bad the matrix in Battle Axe isn't automatable, because that's really what I am wanting.

crimsonwarlock

11 Nov 2021

You can build a switching matrix for four effects with one SHELOB splitter and one MORDRED merger (both free from Jiggery), using two of each you can switch up eight effects, etc. I'm looking to use this for a pedal-board combi, but setting up control targets for this is a b!tch :twisted:
-------
Reached the breaking-point. CrimsonWarlock has left the forum.

challism

12 Nov 2021

crimsonwarlock wrote:
11 Nov 2021
You can build a switching matrix for four effects with one SHELOB splitter and one MORDRED merger (both free from Jiggery), using two of each you can switch up eight effects, etc. I'm looking to use this for a pedal-board combi, but setting up control targets for this is a b!tch :twisted:
Ah, good call to use Mildred. It's prefect for this. So I built this Combi, which can be used to reorder the four effect units. Feel free to add knobs to control various functions of the effect units.

Edit: This is routing the FX in parallel instead of serial, as I originally wanted. While it's still a fun device to play around with, I wanted it to be serial, which is more complicated. I'm going to keep building this out and turn it into a serial re-routing unit.

Download here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiK22FHJlxLjkDFWqdX ... i?e=RecxZs
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (140.86 KiB) Viewed 983 times

Re8et
Competition Winner

01 Dec 2021

challism wrote:
11 Nov 2021
I tired using SPEM the other day for just this purpose, but the latency delay was killing me! I don't remember this being an issue before. Maybe it's yet another thing introduced by Reason 12? Has anybody else noticed it?
Absolutely. I've lost a good time using VMG-01 to try reduce the flange delay effect of it.
Pongasoft I don't think it runs delay compensation as well if that is what you were after...
not sure they do the same stuff either, or one introduce sample latency over the other.

R11.

ps. I guess it's also a matter of what kind of effects one runs in parallel, if more than one is delay based,
without clock sync it's going to sound worst than other chain style fx I guess?

challism

02 Dec 2021

I finished building the serial re-router combi.

Info about it here: viewtopic.php?f=69&p=587174#p587174

Download it here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiK22FHJlxLjkDe18tm ... d?e=jSzfMu
Comes in red and grey.
SERIAL KILLER Red.jpg
SERIAL KILLER Red.jpg (51.36 KiB) Viewed 879 times
SERIAL KILLER Grey.jpg
SERIAL KILLER Grey.jpg (42.91 KiB) Viewed 879 times

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

02 Dec 2021

challism wrote:
02 Dec 2021

Comes in red and grey.
SERIAL KILLER Red.jpg
SERIAL KILLER Grey.jpg
Looking nice :D This is what Reason is all about too

challism

02 Dec 2021

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:
02 Dec 2021
challism wrote:
02 Dec 2021

Comes in red and grey.
SERIAL KILLER Red.jpg
SERIAL KILLER Grey.jpg
Looking nice :D This is what Reason is all about too
It's what I love about Reason the most.

• Information