FREE Update for ABL3! Hi res fix and improved audio engine

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2021

mike^audiorealism wrote:
04 Nov 2021
MrFigg wrote:
04 Nov 2021

Yep. I would in any case. Added feature. :)
Ps. Glad it only “seemed” like a cash grab but was just a mistake. Great RE :)
It was an honest mistake. But after reading this thread I almost convinced myself to keep the upgrade price. But since Scuzzeye's work went into it also I decided not to.

Glad you like the RE!
Get it reinstated :). Do it! :) Quick.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

eusti

04 Nov 2021

Nice! Glad to hear that it was just an oversight.
And I definitely agree that updates that bring new features are fine as paid updates.
Thanks for taking care of this, Mike!

D.

arnigretar

04 Nov 2021

mike^audiorealism wrote:
04 Nov 2021
Hi Guys,
Mike from Audiorealism here.

Indeed the $9 upgrade price was a mistake on my part. I simply copied the last shop page we submitted, updated the screenshots but the upgrade price got stuck with it. I have submitted a new page without the upgrade price. Please note that it is ReasonS that approves the pages, if they don't want to deal with the added support of chargebacks for the handful of users that bought the upgrade, it's up to them.

Some notes that come to mind from reading this thread though:
- a lot of work did go in to the latest audio engines. We develop these in VST first and then there is work to port them and keep them in sync with the Rack Extension. That means if you want us to keep developing REs I don't think it would be a bad thing to contribute to the hard work that goes into them.
- The bitmap portion of ABL3 was upgraded automatically when Reason 12 added support for HD interfaces. ABL3 RE uses custom displays which are largely code driven to render the display, with a bitmap background that was not automatically converted. This took some work and troubleshooting to figure out, and I had to ask an external developer who kindly helped out with this.

If you want to contribute buy one of his rack extensions:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... generator/

This once in incidentally 10 euros, I'm sure he would enjoy a coffee or dinner on you.

- Someone mentioned a "quick money grab" or something along those lines. I think the testers can attest to that I took time off another project to update ABL3 RE, which means that other project lost hours. Even if I charged $25 for the upgrade I still wouldn't have made enough to cover the costs. You may have a too high expectation what we earn versus the work we put into these things. While certainly I want to update products that users enjoy we live in a market place with economic obligations, that means we need to charge for our work or else it will likely not be done at all.

- I read some concerned about developers leaving the RE platform. Not paying developers for the work they contribute to the platform doesn't help there.

- You can contribute in a multitude of ways, not just by buying products. You can do video tutorials, example tracks, graphics suggestions, whatever your talent is. Most developers appreciate receiving that stuff, I know I certainly do..!

Umm that's all I can think of right now... go make some banging tracks now!!

Mike / Audiorealism
Hey Mike. Really like the update - thank you and your team for it. And for the best 303 emulation out there. Been making Acid since '98 in ReBirth and although I have hardware - I always work best with this RE. Thanks a billion. Full support from here :reason:
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

BRIGGS

04 Nov 2021

MrFigg wrote:
04 Nov 2021
Just passing the time.
r11s

RandomNoise

04 Nov 2021

mike^audiorealism wrote:
04 Nov 2021
Hi Guys,
Mike from Audiorealism here.

Indeed the $9 upgrade price was a mistake on my part. I simply copied the last shop page we submitted, updated the screenshots but the upgrade price got stuck with it. I have submitted a new page without the upgrade price. Please note that it is ReasonS that approves the pages, if they don't want to deal with the added support of chargebacks for the handful of users that bought the upgrade, it's up to them.

Some notes that come to mind from reading this thread though:
- a lot of work did go in to the latest audio engines. We develop these in VST first and then there is work to port them and keep them in sync with the Rack Extension. That means if you want us to keep developing REs I don't think it would be a bad thing to contribute to the hard work that goes into them.
- The bitmap portion of ABL3 was upgraded automatically when Reason 12 added support for HD interfaces. ABL3 RE uses custom displays which are largely code driven to render the display, with a bitmap background that was not automatically converted. This took some work and troubleshooting to figure out, and I had to ask an external developer who kindly helped out with this.

If you want to contribute buy one of his rack extensions:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... generator/

This once in incidentally 10 euros, I'm sure he would enjoy a coffee or dinner on you.

- Someone mentioned a "quick money grab" or something along those lines. I think the testers can attest to that I took time off another project to update ABL3 RE, which means that other project lost hours. Even if I charged $25 for the upgrade I still wouldn't have made enough to cover the costs. You may have a too high expectation what we earn versus the work we put into these things. While certainly I want to update products that users enjoy we live in a market place with economic obligations, that means we need to charge for our work or else it will likely not be done at all.

- I read some concerned about developers leaving the RE platform. Not paying developers for the work they contribute to the platform doesn't help there.

- You can contribute in a multitude of ways, not just by buying products. You can do video tutorials, example tracks, graphics suggestions, whatever your talent is. Most developers appreciate receiving that stuff, I know I certainly do..!

Umm that's all I can think of right now... go make some banging tracks now!!

Mike / Audiorealism
Great and thanks for the clarification! Good to know it was indeed an honest mistake. I did actually pay on the day of the release, but I'm not going to make a big deal of it and consider it as extra support for a really awesome product I've been enjoying for long time :thumbup:

Neo

04 Nov 2021

Cheers Mike.
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

challism

05 Nov 2021

Thank you for the update, Mike. And thanks for chiming in to clarify. I would pay for an update that brings new features (ie, slide CV out). It's only fair that devs get paid for adding new features. And if a paid update ever does emerge, I would suggest giving a free update (update credits) to any users who paid for the update and are now miffed that it was actually free.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

jam-s

05 Nov 2021

Imho getting (optional) Devil Fish mod controls would be a very solid reason for a paid upgrade.

mike^audiorealism
RE Developer

05 Nov 2021

challism wrote:
05 Nov 2021
Thank you for the update, Mike. And thanks for chiming in to clarify. I would pay for an update that brings new features (ie, slide CV out). It's only fair that devs get paid for adding new features. And if a paid update ever does emerge, I would suggest giving a free update (update credits) to any users who paid for the update and are now miffed that it was actually free.

Of course we will give the next update for free to those who accidentally purchased this upgrade. But we are limited to only handing out 100 free licenses of a single product, so it would have to be on a first ask first serve basis.

Loque

05 Nov 2021

If someone is looking for a background to create ABL Combinator2 patches, here is my background i used for my 303-like patch.

TB303Loque_Blank_NoBevel.jpg
TB303Loque_Blank_NoBevel.jpg (465.05 KiB) Viewed 704 times
TB303Loque_Blank_Bevel.jpg
TB303Loque_Blank_Bevel.jpg (537.98 KiB) Viewed 704 times
Reason12, Win10

Lost Dog

05 Nov 2021

Hey Mike, thanks for the update, can’t wait to download it as the “click” had driven me mad to the point of avoiding using it, I was so excited to have purchased it after using the rent to buy feature, but then reading that I could not use it offline I decided to pay the rest for the full version, then I discovered the click while using Evolution, had a big sad over that, but, a few fellow “Reasonites” were helpful in sharing their work arounds, which softened the blow. 👍
Love the idea of CV to slide, I would definitely pay for this and future updates as I have no clue how to do this myself!!! 😜

• Information