mDSQ - Lectric Panda Micro Drum Sequencer in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MattLeschuck

04 Nov 2021

If possible, when stacking mDSQs on a drum sampler for example, a Copy ALL to pattern function would be really handy and speed things up.

Re8et
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
14 Oct 2021
Looks like a Redrum sequencer for Kong.
It would be cool if it could Regroove also... it does not look particularly exceptional in that regard... :twisted:
I'm just getting the hang of PSQ... I'm not ready for another seq just yet!!! :lol:

steff3

04 Nov 2021

mDSQ is really nice with potential to optimize workflow.

Two things that would immediately increase the fun for me:
1) probability per step (IMHO especially interesting for a drum sequencer)
2) option to assign a color to the background to great groups

Nice device, interested to see how it evolves.

Cheers

Mattvank

10 Nov 2021

I really like the type of RE´s that Lectric panda developed and i bought a few in the last 2 weeks. But it´s a bitter aftertaste with the sale now. :thumbs_down:
I would rather see that RE´s which bought 2 or 4 weeks ago and now are in sale get rewards backdated.

Whats the message behind this? Just buying if sale? waiting till sale?

Edit: Lectric Panda contacts me and we find a solution. :-)
Last edited by Mattvank on 14 Nov 2021, edited 1 time in total.

challism

10 Nov 2021

Mattvank wrote:
10 Nov 2021
I really like the type of RE´s that Lectric panda developed and i bought a few in the last 2 weeks. But it´s a bitter aftertaste with the sale now. :thumbs_down:
I would rather see that RE´s which bought 2 or 4 weeks ago and now are in sale get rewards backdated.

I think most seasoned RE buyers wait for sales, yes. Rule of thumb: there are basically two big sales per year... one in November, one in May.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

dvdrtldg

10 Nov 2021

Mattvank wrote:
10 Nov 2021

Golden rule of plugin purchasing: wait for a sale

miscend

14 Nov 2021

Does the RS Drum Sequencer player have some sort of MPC swing enabled by default? When you program in similar patterns on mDSQ the groove is a bit different.

Mataya

14 Nov 2021

Did not noticed that. Interesting.
I'm still trying to figure out if I really need it. Seems like a folded kompulsion player, with 32 extra steps. But I can do very similar things with kompulsion. So, do I really need it?

challism

14 Nov 2021

miscend wrote:
14 Nov 2021
Does the RS Drum Sequencer player have some sort of MPC swing enabled by default? When you program in similar patterns on mDSQ the groove is a bit different.
There are shuffle (global) and slide (per part). Other than that, there isn't any built-in, default enabled swing that I know of.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (41.11 KiB) Viewed 2117 times

miscend

14 Nov 2021

challism wrote:
14 Nov 2021
miscend wrote:
14 Nov 2021
There are shuffle (global) and slide (per part). Other than that, there isn't any built-in, default enabled swing that I know of.

Capture.JPG
The RS Reason Drum sequencer swings a little more, it subtle but there. If you program fast trap style hihats its more obvious.

challism

14 Nov 2021

Surely sending notes to track would show if there's a built-in swing or shuffle, right?
Looks like when shuffle is turned to "off" the drum hits all happen squarely on the beat.
I don't see how adjusting BPM would or should change this. BPM should have nothing to do with swing.
Here are some bounced loops of the exact same drum beat, only thing that's different are the players and swing/shuffle amounts.
Yellow is LP MDSQ, Olive is Reason Drum Sequencer.
Perhaps the main Pandaman himself wants to chime in on this one?
RDS.JPG
RDS.JPG (72.05 KiB) Viewed 2064 times

PhillipOrdonez

14 Nov 2021

Mattvank wrote:
10 Nov 2021

Wait, didn't it release with an intro sale? What sale are you talking about now?

Mattvank

14 Nov 2021

No i bought several Letric RE´s 2 weeks earlier than the sale.

PS: Lectric Panda contacts me and we find a solution. :)

rcbuse
RE Developer

14 Nov 2021

miscend wrote:
14 Nov 2021
I can't speak for the internals of the RS Drum Sequencer, I've never done any testing with it. mDSQ has the shuffle defined as ticks. Anything that is not an 8th notes gets offset by the shuffle tick amount. The default zero shuffle would just be dead straight.

dioxide

16 Nov 2021

A quick proof of concept using mDSQ to create mute groups in Redrum. In this patch changing the Matrix pattern from 1-3 switches between muted states. This technique will also work for other devices that use notes to activate mutes, such as the 14:2 mixer, Line Mixer and Directre.

At the moment mDSQ isn't quite fast enough to mute the first drum using this kind of CV chain although I'd have thought it would be fine via MIDI.
Attachments
Mute Groups.zip
(3.27 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

rmtcvolte

29 Nov 2021

Would be perfect if we could use this one mapped to a pad controler, but with zero remote options for the steps...btw what is the "Edit Steps" entry in the remote-info for? My concern is that it has to do with restrictions for player devices, if so, how about a mDSQ as an utility device version?

moalla

29 Nov 2021

Lectric Panda, could you update mDSQ with a Part mute function, would be very helpful in live situations when mDSQ is connected to a drumsynth like Basimilus,
thanks for your work
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

Bes
Competition Winner

29 Nov 2021

is UTL still free? you could set up a mute for each part by setting a velocity toggle to 0
- Certified Reason expert

moalla

30 Nov 2021

Bes wrote:
29 Nov 2021
is UTL still free? you could set up a mute for each part by setting a velocity toggle to 0
For sure that would be an option when I set a mute toggle switch and sum all outputs at the end and send it to spec device, but the cool thing of mDSQ is to have multiple notes per one pattern in this new set and here it is than the interesting thing to mute one part of this multiple patterns ;) without some workaround, I also could use a midi filter like utl hmm ,

So lectric Panda was it your behaviour to bring not to much functions on the user interface of mDSQ?
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

PhillipOrdonez

30 Nov 2021

steff3 wrote:
04 Nov 2021
mDSQ is really nice with potential to optimize workflow.

Two things that would immediately increase the fun for me:
1) probability per step (IMHO especially interesting for a drum sequencer)
2) option to assign a color to the background to great groups

Nice device, interested to see how it evolves.

Cheers
Probability per step, I'm kinda meh about it. It rarely yields good results in any of my many sequencers that offer that option. For drums i find "trig conditions" way more useful; trigger this step 1 out of 2, or this 3 out of 5, or only when there is no trig on this step, etc. Random probabilities are not very useful at least for the kind of music I make where the drums are super important. 🤷‍♂️

moalla

30 Nov 2021

Really hard to find a solution to get a live cv mute switch for the parts^^ however it still works
But if i will add a effect than all cv connections to mDSQ gets lost, and when i would build it before basiilus, the player connection is still working, okay normal ...
so iss this disconecting a trial bug?
really i think this is a nice device but where are the mute button -disable/enable function for the parts ;) otherwise it´s useless for me!
It´s a big step from propulsion (quasi note values etc.) to this device and kompulsion is to technical at all, i doesn´t trialed it but it looks not so sexy to me, so yeah mDSQ is the advanced update of the RedrumSEQ, but please give us the chance to mute parts of our drum/melody arrangments, what´s most a basic thing of a sequencers, otherwise we have to oben several instances and then the graphical workspace gets lost! Than your mDSQ is my last really needed thing :thumbs_up: and i will buy it
Attachments
BASI MUTE.png
BASI MUTE.png (336.93 KiB) Viewed 1676 times

SebAudio

30 Mar 2024

Lectric Panda has mDSQ (and others) on sale right now so I’ve bought it. It’s great ! Of all the requested features, I agree that mute / solo would is much needed. Perhaps « click + modifier key » on the part’s slot to mute or solo it ? And a color to show it’s state ?

supersmarter

28 Apr 2024

Purchased. Even though I believe this product is complete and no further development will ever be made, adjustable step length per part would be a killer feature. Now it is global. Sure I can stack several mDSQ and have the same functionality.

One question though. When I add Redrum and stack several mDSQs one below the other and then sometimes I MUTE some parts in the Redrum when I press stop and play in Reason, all my Mutes in Redrum are disabled. It is as if mDSQ is sending Mute off to the Redrum.

Bes
Competition Winner

28 Apr 2024

it could be

The keys C2 to E3 (white keys only) will mute individual drum channels starting with channel 1.
The sounds are muted for as long as you hold the key(s) down.

The keys C4 to E5 (white keys only) will solo individual drum channel, starting with channel 1.
The sounds are soloed for as long as you hold the key(s) down.
- Certified Reason expert

• Information