[pongasoft] New RE released (+ old one updated)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
zoidkirb

25 Oct 2021

Amazing device, thank you so much.

I have a feature request or maybe a question:
Using the device to route different FX and then controlling them via Midi keyboard is extremely fun and useful.

But, would some sort of Latch mode be possible?

I want to be able to switch between Single mode and Instrument mode, on the fly, with the addition of being able to control the selected output on the A/B12 via Midi also.
I can use the Combinator programmer to get this result already but it's quite messy and complicated for live use.

Perhaps something like this could work: First octave C-2 to B-2 behaves as if you are selecting outputs in Single mode, and next octave C-1 to B-1 behaves as if you are selecting outputs in Instrument mode.
Or an alternative to that is just create a Latch mode within Instrument mode and create a toggle that we could then map to a Combi or Midi hardware.

If there was Midi control over the Single mode, or a latch within Instrument mode, it would be great then to have a launch/snap setting for that. Similar to Ableton Live or the Robotic Bean CV Switch.

I know this is a free device so not expecting any demands to be met! It is a brilliant device regardless .

pongasoft
RE Developer

26 Oct 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
25 Oct 2021

Using the device to route different FX and then controlling them via Midi keyboard is extremely fun and useful.

I want to be able to switch between Single mode and Instrument mode, on the fly, with the addition of being able to control the selected output on the A/B12 via Midi also.
I can use the Combinator programmer to get this result already but it's quite messy and complicated for live use.

Perhaps something like this could work: First octave C-2 to B-2 behaves as if you are selecting outputs in Single mode, and next octave C-1 to B-1 behaves as if you are selecting outputs in Instrument mode.
Or an alternative to that is just create a Latch mode within Instrument mode and create a toggle that we could then map to a Combi or Midi hardware.

If there was Midi control over the Single mode, or a latch within Instrument mode, it would be great then to have a launch/snap setting for that. Similar to Ableton Live or the Robotic Bean CV Switch.

I know this is a free device so not expecting any demands to be met! It is a brilliant device regardless .

That sounds interesting. I guess I do not understand what you mean by "latch" with a new toggle. Could you elaborate a little bit more?

Secondly, you said that the solution with the combinator is messy and complicated for live use. Why? Can't you assign a button to a combinator to toggle between Single and Instrument mode? How would that be different from the latch mode solution?

zoidkirb

26 Oct 2021

pongasoft wrote:
26 Oct 2021
zoidkirb wrote:
25 Oct 2021

That sounds interesting. I guess I do not understand what you mean by "latch" with a new toggle. Could you elaborate a little bit more?

Secondly, you said that the solution with the combinator is messy and complicated for live use. Why? Can't you assign a button to a combinator to toggle between Single and Instrument mode? How would that be different from the latch mode solution?
I think my post was a little confusing as I suggested two problem solutions for the same idea.

The problem with my own combinator is I can map a button to switch between single and instrument mode which is fine. But then I need too I map up to 12 more buttons to be able to select each channel once I'm in single mode.
Even having that one extra button press to toggle modes isn't great in a live situation...especially because I've got three A/
B12s stacked into a combinator to control different parts of a drum kit with a bunch a rhythmic fx being fed from each channel. Having those extra button presses gets in the way of getting the playing tight.

If I could choose to hold C-2 when I want a monetary channel A1, or press F-1 to launch/keep playing channel A6, both within the same insurance of A/B12 that would be simplest.
I've already got my three A/B12s spread two octaves apart in the combinator ready for this to happen.
Basically what I'm trying to make is a native Reason version of Stutter Edit.....but hopefully a lot better as it will be much more configurable.
Cheers!

pongasoft
RE Developer

27 Oct 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
26 Oct 2021
If I could choose to hold C-2 when I want a monetary channel A1, or press F-1 to launch/keep playing channel A6, both within the same insurance of A/B12 that would be simplest.
I am having a very hard time parsing this sentence and making sense of it. Maybe it is because English is not my first language. What do you mean by monetary channel? Did you also mean "instance" instead of "insurance"? Maybe?

zoidkirb

27 Oct 2021

pongasoft wrote:
27 Oct 2021
zoidkirb wrote:
26 Oct 2021
I am having a very hard time parsing this sentence and making sense of it. Maybe it is because English is not my first language. What do you mean by monetary channel? Did you also mean "instance" instead of "insurance"? Maybe?
Sorry my bad, instance not insurance. (Phone auto corrected).

By momentary, I mean that's the current behavior of Instrument mode. The channel is only open during the moment you are holding down a midi key.

zoidkirb

28 Oct 2021

Alright I've worked out this is actually really easy to achieve.
All I need is to run two instances of A/B12. Set the first one to run in Single mode and only use bank A, and set the other to Instrument mode and only use Bank B.
This way I can have can leave channels open on bank A using midi keys C to F. And then once I am playing notes F# to B it will be momentary output on Bank B of the second A/B12.
When running in Single mode you need to disable keyboard on the back switch.
For more complicated setups I just add more A/B12's and set their different keyboard ranges in the Combinator editor.

pongasoft
RE Developer

29 Oct 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
28 Oct 2021
Alright I've worked out this is actually really easy to achieve.
All I need is to run two instances of A/B12. Set the first one to run in Single mode and only use bank A, and set the other to Instrument mode and only use Bank B.
This way I can have can leave channels open on bank A using midi keys C to F. And then once I am playing notes F# to B it will be momentary output on Bank B of the second A/B12.
When running in Single mode you need to disable keyboard on the back switch.
For more complicated setups I just add more A/B12's and set their different keyboard ranges in the Combinator editor.
Happy to hear. And yes that sounds like a good solution.

• Information