Anyone still using the Expert Sleeper's Silent Way RE?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
raccoonboy

07 Oct 2021

I'm on Reason 8 (so pre VST support) and this is my experience with Silent Way RE.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ontroller/

1. It is amazing because it's super simple. I really dislike the Silent Way VST package, it's awkward to use and ugly. It works almost flawlessly with Reason as you just do your CV Gate/Logic/LFO or whatever with whatever RE you want, plug it into the Silent Way and away you go!

2. One massive drawback is that you have to tune it before you use it (after loading Reason). This is so irritating. This is PARTLY due to the fact that REs can't save to text files, so no special settings can be saved. But to be honest you should be able to use it untuned. If I just want to use it for sweeping a filter or a couple of triggers, I don't necessarily need it tuned.

So my question is. Does anyone still use this RE? Do you have a tuning workaround? Or do you use the VST version now and does that work better from within Reason? You can kinda set/forget and it's easy enough to hook up to e.g. an LFO RE?

Also if anyone knows, are there any plans to have saveable text/config files for REs anytime in the future or has it been done yet? I doubt Os would update the RE to be honest as he said it wasn't really profitable. But would be nice to see one day the ability to save tunings. I can deal with no ES-5 compatibility (although it would be nice), but just don't want to have to tune/calibrate every time I load up Reason - it just makes me not want to use it.

Thanks

Creativemind

07 Oct 2021

Not heard of it but on finding their page on that device in the shop (as happens on nearly, if not all devices in the shop) the video is the first thing you see with the play button. Infuriating, a picture (which usually is 2nd or 3rd thing you click if at all) of the device SHOULD be the first thing you see when accessing the device in the shop and a video 2nd or 3rd, in fact 3rd. The 2nd tab should be a picture of the back of the device.

I'm not arguing against video's btw as I also think video's demonstrating the device should be mandatory on all Re's on release but there needs to be a uniform structure. 1 - picture of front of device, 2 - picture of back of device, 3 or more - video/s.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

PhillipOrdonez

07 Oct 2021

Wow I wasn't aware of this Re!

rcbuse
RE Developer

07 Oct 2021

raccoonboy wrote:
07 Oct 2021

2. One massive drawback is that you have to tune it before you use it (after loading Reason). This is so irritating. This is PARTLY due to the fact that REs can't save to text files, so no special settings can be saved. But to be honest you should be able to use it untuned. If I just want to use it for sweeping a filter or a couple of triggers, I don't necessarily need it tuned.

So my question is. Does anyone still use this RE? Do you have a tuning workaround? Or do you use the VST version now and does that work better from within Reason? You can kinda set/forget and it's easy enough to hook up to e.g. an LFO RE?

Also if anyone knows, are there any plans to have saveable text/config files for REs anytime in the future or has it been done yet? I doubt Os would update the RE to be honest as he said it wasn't really profitable. But would be nice to see one day the ability to save tunings. I can deal with no ES-5 compatibility (although it would be nice), but just don't want to have to tune/calibrate every time I load up Reason - it just makes me not want to use it.

Thanks
Everything that would be needed to store the calibration as RE patch would be possible with the SDK as it is today, but you are probably right about getting them to update the RE. At this point, they would need to redo the entire UI to get it though the RE pipeline.

Is it possible to manually tune the device using coarse/fine tuning and NOT go though the calibration process ? If its possible to do it manually, I would do that once after your modular has warmed up and save it inside a combinator patch.

DJMaytag

07 Oct 2021

No, mostly because the Silent Way RE has a bug that won't allow velocity to work, and the VST's work really damn well once you get used to working with them (I use their SW LFO more than any other LFO expect for Tonicmint's CV Pistons RE).

I'm mostly at a point of just saving a Combinator that has everything pre-loaded & pre-wired for my massive ES rig (ES-3, ES-5, 2x ESX-8GT, 2x ESX-8CV, and 2x ESX-8MD). I've attached the Combinator file that I'm using in R12.

ES-5-8GT-8MD-8CV-8MD-8GT-8CV.zip
(9.91 KiB) Downloaded 25 times

DJMaytag

07 Oct 2021

raccoonboy wrote:
07 Oct 2021
Save the SW RE in a Combinator, and that will save your settings.

raccoonboy

09 Oct 2021

DJMaytag wrote:
07 Oct 2021
raccoonboy wrote:
07 Oct 2021
Save the SW RE in a Combinator, and that will save your settings.
Shit. I hadn't thought of this. Have you done it before? My audio interface is screwed at the moment so can't try it.

I know it works for other things, but wasn't sure if it worked for SW.

raccoonboy

09 Oct 2021

DJMaytag wrote:
07 Oct 2021
No, mostly because the Silent Way RE has a bug that won't allow velocity to work, and the VST's work really damn well once you get used to working with them (I use their SW LFO more than any other LFO expect for Tonicmint's CV Pistons RE).

I'm mostly at a point of just saving a Combinator that has everything pre-loaded & pre-wired for my massive ES rig (ES-3, ES-5, 2x ESX-8GT, 2x ESX-8CV, and 2x ESX-8MD). I've attached the Combinator file that I'm using in R12.

ES-5-8GT-8MD-8CV-8MD-8GT-8CV.zip
I'm sure I've used velocity before with it.

Yeah. I'd definitely try out the VST which I have within Reason once I upgrade it. Does it work well enough with LFO REs and stuff once it's set up? I guess the VST interface works well enough so you never have to look at the VST again?

raccoonboy

09 Oct 2021

rcbuse wrote:
07 Oct 2021
raccoonboy wrote:
07 Oct 2021

Thanks
Everything that would be needed to store the calibration as RE patch would be possible with the SDK as it is today, but you are probably right about getting them to update the RE. At this point, they would need to redo the entire UI to get it though the RE pipeline.

Is it possible to manually tune the device using coarse/fine tuning and NOT go though the calibration process ? If its possible to do it manually, I would do that once after your modular has warmed up and save it inside a combinator patch.
Good to know the SDK has been improved. But yeah you're right. It probably won't happen. And yes, you have to use the calibration every time. Unfortunately.

I could maybe get it around it by setting up a fake input for the listening part, but it would be a bit annoying!

raccoonboy

09 Oct 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
07 Oct 2021
Wow I wasn't aware of this Re!
Now you know. It's not perfect. But it's decent. If you have the VST though and it works well I wouldn't recommend unless they allowed calibration saving and/or manual tuning.

DJMaytag

09 Oct 2021

raccoonboy wrote:
09 Oct 2021
Shit. I hadn't thought of this. Have you done it before? My audio interface is screwed at the moment so can't try it.

I haven’t tried it in ages, and I doubt I still have the same VCO’s to confirm the tuning, but any settings in an RE should 100% be saved inside a Combinator.
raccoonboy wrote:
09 Oct 2021
Something broke between 9.5 and 10 with it, and Os from Expert Sleepers has no interest in fixing it. I did work at one point, but who knows what happened along the way.
raccoonboy wrote:
09 Oct 2021
Yeah. I'd definitely try out the VST which I have within Reason once I upgrade it. Does it work well enough with LFO REs and stuff once it's set up? I guess the VST interface works well enough so you never have to look at the VST again?
Grab Robotic Bean’s CV I-O and O-I RE’s. Those are pretty crucial utilities for converting Reason CV to audio level signals that need to be plugged into the SW VST’s (or vice versa). Pulsar has an audio level LFO output, so I used that often, but my main two LFO’s now are SW LFO and Tonic Mint’s CV Pistons (a REAL homage to DivKid’s OCHD module).

raccoonboy

09 Oct 2021

DJMaytag wrote:
09 Oct 2021
raccoonboy wrote:
09 Oct 2021

I haven’t tried it in ages, and I doubt I still have the same VCO’s to confirm the tuning, but any settings in an RE should 100% be saved inside a Combinator.
raccoonboy wrote:
09 Oct 2021
Something broke between 9.5 and 10 with it, and Os from Expert Sleepers has no interest in fixing it. I did work at one point, but who knows what happened along the way.
raccoonboy wrote:
09 Oct 2021
Grab Robotic Bean’s CV I-O and O-I RE’s. Those are pretty crucial utilities for converting Reason CV to audio level signals that need to be plugged into the SW VST’s (or vice versa). Pulsar has an audio level LFO output, so I used that often, but my main two LFO’s now are SW LFO and Tonic Mint’s CV Pistons (a REAL homage to DivKid’s OCHD module).
All great info. Thanks mate :)

and I'm on V8 of Reason. So makes sense

• Information