Enlightenspeed Agnostik is in the shop!!!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

01 Oct 2021

Hi Folks,

The wait is finally over, we are now returning with the long overdue replacement for Chordbank - presenting .... drum roll .... Agnostik!

The device has been completely redesigned from the ground up, giving greater stability and performance in all areas, but also now leaving plenty of space for further upgrades in future (Chordbank had more or less run out of memory :D ).

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... /agnostik/

The new design features all sorts of extra goodies - it's bigger, better, faster, more!!! (I'm not blonde myself either).

Taken from the shop page:
53 Chord Banks
8 Scale Banks
3 Recording modes
78 Harmonic Interval presets
88 Static chord presets
32 Scale presets
Large robust chord editing function set.
Full preferences page giving more control over functions.

…and much more! Remember also, that this is just the first release of Agnostik! Many more big features are coming very soon!

We have set up a very hefty opening discount which will last up until round about Black Friday... at which point the discount will cease. There may be bundling at that point with something else, possibly, but otherwise that will wait until some point in December. Regardless, this is as cheap as you will ever* see it.

Start watching the videos, basically, there is sooooo much to cover with this, and we'll be doing more videos to cover some useful songwriting strategies soon - we've really just done manual explanations so far.

In the immediate future there will be more patches, and we'd love to get creations coming from users too, so if we can work out some sort of cool format for doing a song/patch building competition then we will ask the good folks here at RT if they can host. More on that kinda thing as soon as possible!

anyway, have fun with this, and as always, any comments, suggestions, questions, then please either leave them in this thread or email us at the usual place.

Cheers,
Brian

*ever - It'll probably end up cheaper in about 5 years or so, in a sale etc.

akeia

01 Oct 2021

I am missing an update path from chordbank.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

01 Oct 2021

akeia wrote: ↑
01 Oct 2021
Unfortunately it is not possible to have a direct upgrade path. We have tried hard to get one but it is not possible in the RS shop. This the only option for us is to make the discount available to all.

Hope this makes sense,
Brian

deigm

01 Oct 2021

Any plans for a strumming function? :-)

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

01 Oct 2021

deigm wrote: ↑
01 Oct 2021
Yup πŸ‘ Among a whole load of different features which will be added over the next few months 😊

Skullture

01 Oct 2021

That's not the first time a whole device got abandoned. Shame.

deigm

01 Oct 2021

Enlightenspeed wrote: ↑
01 Oct 2021
01 Oct 2021
Yup πŸ‘ Among a whole load of different features which will be added over the next few months 😊
Awesome.

This wouldn't happen to be the device you allude to on this thread would it? ;)
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7522116&p=547993#p547993

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

01 Oct 2021

Skullture wrote: ↑
01 Oct 2021
That's not the first time a whole device got abandoned. Shame.
It wasn't abandoned, it was discontinued in favour of a better design.

This way also works better, as users of Chordbank can still keep it - it has some features which aren't available in Agnostik, and won't ever be because of the extreme differences in the underlying design. Add to this that there was nothing further that could reliably be added to Chordbank... trust me, this is definitely the way forward.

So the only difference is that you can no longer buy Chordbank - if you're an old user you still have it anyway, and if you're a new user then go for Agnostik as it is just a whole lot better in so many ways :D

Cheers,
Brian
Last edited by Enlightenspeed on 01 Oct 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

01 Oct 2021

01 Oct 2021
01 Oct 2021

Awesome.

It is, although something like scale detection will happen in the final stages along with final graphics and UX 😊

Can I just ask, and this question is open to everybody, what is the principle reason for having scale detection? Is it purely an educational thing? In other words is there any other workflow or functionality that you would expect this to be connected to?

Cheers,
Brian

deigm

02 Oct 2021

01 Oct 2021
01 Oct 2021

Awesome.

It is, although something like scale detection will happen in the final stages along with final graphics and UX 😊

Can I just ask, and this question is open to everybody, what is the principle reason for having scale detection? Is it purely an educational thing? In other words is there any other workflow or functionality that you would expect this to be connected to?

Cheers,
Brian
For me it is educational yes, but also speeds up my workflow. I'll often start projects with chords and or melodies played out by ear, and don't usually know what scale/key I'm in. It doesn't strictly matter what key I'm in but its useful to know throughout the rest of the project when adding basslines or tuning drums, etc. Because I'm not fully across my music theory figuring it out can be time consuming and inspiration killing. Feeding the midi into a device and having it tell me which key (or keys) the notes fit into solves that.

So no there's no expectation for it to be integrated with any other functionality. At least not from me :puf_smile:
Last edited by deigm on 02 Oct 2021, edited 1 time in total.

deigm

02 Oct 2021

Just bought Agnostic by the way :thumbs_up:

outdatedstandard

02 Oct 2021

akeia wrote: ↑
01 Oct 2021
Yes, it’s a pity not. 29 dollars is a sensitive amount.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

02 Oct 2021

02 Oct 2021
01 Oct 2021

Cheers,
Brian
It doesn't strictly matter what key I'm in but its useful to know throughout the rest of the project when adding basslines or tuning drums, etc.
My thoughts exactly 😊

It fits the paradigm of this device perfectly, to give access to music theory for those who don’t already have it. Along with all sorts of other stuff.

I have to tell you the truth though and say that it will be into the new year before scale detection is added, there is a lot more to be added before then .

Cheers,
Brian

deigm

02 Oct 2021

01 Oct 2021

My thoughts exactly 😊

It fits the paradigm of this device perfectly, to give access to music theory for those who don’t already have it. Along with all sorts of other stuff.

I have to tell you the truth though and say that it will be into the new year before scale detection is added, there is a lot more to be added before then .

Cheers,
Brian
Cheers Brian, looking forward to it :thumbup:

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

04 Oct 2021

Hi folks,

Just a quick update to note that we have started work on the next update to Agnostik, which is just maintenence for a couple of minor things.

Also, we are a little closer to doing a song/patch competition - apologies for dragging our heels on this, we know that some folks are waiting for this first before starting trial periods etc, so sorry about that. Anyway, conversations with RT did start over the weekend, at least, so we'll let you know as soon as possible how this is panning out.

Cheers,
Brian

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

14 Oct 2021

Hey folks,

Just to let you know that the competition is now live in the Competitions section :D

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=7525232

The "update for minor bugs" will also include a couple of new features as well, (which I'll talk about once it is actually in the shop), and should probably be available sometime today, so if you're already demoing it or are one of the simply fabulous number of early buyers, then please look out for that and hit sync all when the time comes.

Cheers,
Brian
Last edited by Enlightenspeed on 14 Oct 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

14 Oct 2021

...and after a frightening half hour the shop upgrade price has been fixed and it is now 0/zilch/nada/free/sod all!

It had been showing as full price, and my inbox was quickly filling up with all sorts of joy :D

Gardinski

27 Oct 2021

Hey Brian,

Great to see a new Enlightenspeed device. You always come up with something intriguing (and/or mindscrambling).

I'm really liking Agnostik. It's a grand little tool for songwriting, and I've come up with some interesting melodic ideas which I probably would never have hit upon without it.

But there's one thing that baffles me. For some reason, when I select some of your preset patches, the scales seem not to 'catch'. In some cases, even though the scale is visible in the little graphical window on the right, the notes/chords still play as if they're either C Major or (sometimes) the scale from the preceding patch. It's really bizarre.

For instance, if I drag and drop the Augmented scale, that always seems to function first time. But if I load up Lydian, it's still (usually) playing as if it's C Major.

The weirdest thing is that I just tried Locrian, which worked immediately. Then I clicked down to Lydian, and the resulting scale was still in Locrian.

Bebop USUALLY works first time, (just as Augmented does), but occasionally doesn't. I just can't figure out whether I'm doing something wrong, or whether there's some kind of crazy poltergeist in my laptop. :lol: I've tried toggling back and forth between 'scale' and 'preset', but that doesn't seem to correct the issue.

I've been using Agostik on and off for a couple of weeks, but have only really noticed this problem in recent days. However, that's possibly because I was mostly generating random scales or selecting them from the menu on the right. It's only when I've started delving into your preset patches that the issue has arisen.

Any idea what the problem is, or what I may be doing wrong? As I said, I really like what you're doing here, but I'm slightly terrified of using it live onstage at the Royal Albert Hall (when that gig inevitably comes up, as it surely must) in case everything goes horribly wrong in front of zillions of screaming fans. :P

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

27 Oct 2021

Gardinski wrote: ↑
27 Oct 2021
Hey Brian,

Great to see a new Enlightenspeed device. You always come up with something intriguing (and/or mindscrambling).

I'm really liking Agnostik. It's a grand little tool for songwriting, and I've come up with some interesting melodic ideas which I probably would never have hit upon without it.

But there's one thing that baffles me. For some reason, when I select some of your preset patches, the scales seem not to 'catch'. In some cases, even though the scale is visible in the little graphical window on the right, the notes/chords still play as if they're either C Major or (sometimes) the scale from the preceding patch. It's really bizarre.

For instance, if I drag and drop the Augmented scale, that always seems to function first time. But if I load up Lydian, it's still (usually) playing as if it's C Major.

The weirdest thing is that I just tried Locrian, which worked immediately. Then I clicked down to Lydian, and the resulting scale was still in Locrian.

Bebop USUALLY works first time, (just as Augmented does), but occasionally doesn't. I just can't figure out whether I'm doing something wrong, or whether there's some kind of crazy poltergeist in my laptop. :lol: I've tried toggling back and forth between 'scale' and 'preset', but that doesn't seem to correct the issue.

I've been using Agostik on and off for a couple of weeks, but have only really noticed this problem in recent days. However, that's possibly because I was mostly generating random scales or selecting them from the menu on the right. It's only when I've started delving into your preset patches that the issue has arisen.

Any idea what the problem is, or what I may be doing wrong? As I said, I really like what you're doing here, but I'm slightly terrified of using it live onstage at the Royal Albert Hall (when that gig inevitably comes up, as it surely must) in case everything goes horribly wrong in front of zillions of screaming fans. :P
Hi,

First up, thanks for letting me know that this is happening. I’m glad you’re having fun with Agnostik.

I’m not aware of any issues with the patches, so in order to investigate it as soon as possible could you create either:

1 - a video showing it happening

Or

2 - a full text step-by-step of the issue, assuming there is a reliable way to reproduce it.

It sounds like maybe one of the patch files is incorrectly saved, which is annoying but easy to fix.

Kind regards and thanks again for contacting me,
Brian

Gardinski

27 Oct 2021

Hi Brian,

I was thinking exactly the same: a video would make it so much easier to explain. I'll do my best to do a screencap video, but I'm afraid it may have to wait a couple of days. Got a crazily busy day tomorrow, and am making preparations all night. I'll definitely get back to you asap though.

(I keep wracking my brains to figure out whether I've done something weird which might have 'altered' the behaviour of the patches somehow, but I can't see how. I certainly haven't resaved any of the presets, as far as I'm aware. What makes it weirder is that it seems to be sporadic. I only noticed it in the past couple of days, and it was definitely happening again this morning.)

All the best,
Tony G.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

27 Oct 2021

Gardinski wrote: ↑
27 Oct 2021
Hi Brian,

I was thinking exactly the same: a video would make it so much easier to explain. I'll do my best to do a screencap video, but I'm afraid it may have to wait a couple of days. Got a crazily busy day tomorrow, and am making preparations all night. I'll definitely get back to you asap though.

(I keep wracking my brains to figure out whether I've done something weird which might have 'altered' the behaviour of the patches somehow, but I can't see how. I certainly haven't resaved any of the presets, as far as I'm aware. What makes it weirder is that it seems to be sporadic. I only noticed it in the past couple of days, and it was definitely happening again this morning.)

All the best,
Tony G.
Hi Tony,

I've looked further into this and can confirm that there is indeed a little bug here with how the patches are loading. This will be fixed and uploaded reasonably soon. I'm jetting off to the sunshine tomorrow though, so I won't get to it for about 10 days or so.

Thanks for letting me know about this, and please PM me with the name of any of my REs that you don't already have :D

Many thanks,
Brian

Gardinski

27 Oct 2021

27 Oct 2021

Hi Tony,

I've looked further into this and can confirm that there is indeed a little bug here with how the patches are loading. This will be fixed and uploaded reasonably soon. I'm jetting off to the sunshine tomorrow though, so I won't get to it for about 10 days or so.

Thanks for letting me know about this, and please PM me with the name of any of my REs that you don't already have :D

Many thanks,
Brian
Thanks Brian. Glad I could be of some help. I've sent you a quick pm. In the meantime, have a good time and enjoy your break in the sun.

Cheers,
Tony G. :thumbup:

• Information