Strive Creative Filter by Speo

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
honeyBadger

30 Sep 2021

This :re: looks useful:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ve-filter/

Make your bass say cheesecake. Make your pads move and swirl around. Make your lead sound hit all the right frequencies at the right time. Make your sound stand out.

• Frequency Response Adapts to your own Samples
• Intuitive Control of up to 64 Bandpass Filters
• Stereo Offset on Shift for Easy Stereo Widening
Last edited by honeyBadger on 30 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

30 Sep 2021

Looks promising!

Sample loading and apply frequency response :clap: :thumbup:

Reason12, Win10

geronimo

30 Sep 2021

Error of my part ! :roll:
Last edited by geronimo on 30 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

esselfortium

30 Sep 2021

This looks and sounds fantastic. Purchased!
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

JohnnyFave

30 Sep 2021

This new RE sounds great and looks cool too! One little question, it's listed as $63 CAD and is "on sale" for $59 CAD ($4 CAD OFF). What do other countries see?

EDIT: I'm asking this question because the Reason Store does NOT use dynamic currency conversions. I've noticed some items are converted USD to CAD at incorrectly high rates (1.45 rather than 1.25)
Last edited by JohnnyFave on 30 Sep 2021, edited 2 times in total.

Adabler
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2021

Is that string around the Wave knob homage to some weird equipment I should know about?
:reason: 12, Win10

challism

30 Sep 2021

Congrats on the release, Speo!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Speo
RE Developer

30 Sep 2021

Thanks to everyone checking out Strive!
esselfortium wrote:
30 Sep 2021
This looks and sounds fantastic. Purchased!
Thank you, I hope you get some great sounds out of it! I'd be keen to know how it goes.
JohnnyFave wrote:
30 Sep 2021
This new RE sounds great and looks cool too! One little question, it's listed as $63 CAD and is "on sale" for $59 CAD ($4 CAD OFF). What do other countries see?
That is curious. The device is 50€ usually and 43€ introductory pricing, 14% off. It's close to 14% for GBP and USD as well, but for CAD it's closer to 6%. Not sure why the price categories are that way in CAD.
Adabler wrote:
30 Sep 2021
Is that string around the Wave knob homage to some weird equipment I should know about?
It's a capstan and it's purposefully completely out of place.

rorystorm

03 Oct 2021

When it says
honeyBadger wrote:
30 Sep 2021
Make your bass say cheesecake.
does it mean buttery biscuit bass?

Anyway, I bought this and I'm glad - it's excellent: easy to use, sounds fantastic, not really like anything else that I own. Thoroughly recommend it.

Despondo
Competition Winner

05 Oct 2021

Nice device and design!

I know I am being nitpicky, but why are the vertical lines missing on the hexagon pattern at the edges of the device?

Speo
RE Developer

15 Oct 2021

rorystorm wrote:
03 Oct 2021
:lol: :lol: whatever butters your biscuit. Super happy to hear you're enjoying Strive!
Despondo wrote:
05 Oct 2021
I know I am being nitpicky, but why are the vertical lines missing on the hexagon pattern at the edges of the device?
There is some curvature on the edges and the hexagons protrude. Because why not, right?

rorystorm

15 Oct 2021

Speo wrote:
15 Oct 2021
rorystorm wrote:
03 Oct 2021
:lol: :lol: whatever butters your biscuit. Super happy to hear you're enjoying Strive!

Yeah its a really nice piece of work!

Stygian Abyss

15 Oct 2021

Despondo wrote:
05 Oct 2021
Put Strive in a Combinator. That solves the issue. :puf_bigsmile:

Great sounding device, thanks Speo.

moofi

18 Nov 2021

Yes, looking forward aswell. Could one say it being similar to Europas spectral filter?

Speo
RE Developer

18 Nov 2021

moofi wrote:
18 Nov 2021
Yes, looking forward aswell. Could one say it being similar to Europas spectral filter?
Kind of - it can do similar things but it does so in an entirely different way. Europa’s Spectral Filter affects the onboard wavetable oscillator whereas Strive is essentially a bp filter bank.

moofi

18 Nov 2021

Thank you, just spontaneoulsy felt like they were similar in sonic appearance. If you say Strive is essentially a bp filterbank, how does it interact with the wavetable?
Speo wrote:
18 Nov 2021
moofi wrote:
18 Nov 2021
Kind of - it can do similar things but it does so in an entirely different way. Europa’s Spectral Filter affects the onboard wavetable oscillator whereas Strive is essentially a bp filter bank.

Speo
RE Developer

18 Nov 2021

Good question! It gets the gain for the individual bp stages from envelope followers that are cached for each band when the sample is loaded.
moofi wrote:
18 Nov 2021
Thank you, just spontaneoulsy felt like they were similar in sonic appearance. If you say Strive is essentially a bp filterbank, how does it interact with the wavetable?
Speo wrote:
18 Nov 2021

moofi

18 Nov 2021

If you say they are cached when the sample is being loaded, are these envelopes deriving from the envelope followers static?
Speo wrote:
18 Nov 2021
Good question! It gets the gain for the individual bp stages from envelope followers that are cached for each band when the sample is loaded.
moofi wrote:
18 Nov 2021

Speo
RE Developer

18 Nov 2021

Yes. That way you can scrub through the sample (manually or better yet via cv to wave) and get the response at each position of the input sample. You could replicate the effect using a granular synthesizer as a Modulator input to a vocoder and scrub through the sample in the granular Synth, but Strive sounds tighter, if I say so myself 🙈
moofi wrote:
18 Nov 2021
If you say they are cached when the sample is being loaded, are these envelopes deriving from the envelope followers static?
Speo wrote:
18 Nov 2021

moofi

18 Nov 2021

I see, thank you. And how does Europa´s spectral filter work if not via bp?
Speo wrote:
18 Nov 2021
Yes. That way you can scrub through the sample (manually or better yet via cv to wave) and get the response at each position of the input sample. You could replicate the effect using a granular synthesizer as a Modulator input to a vocoder and scrub through the sample in the granular Synth, but Strive sounds tighter, if I say so myself 🙈
moofi wrote:
18 Nov 2021

Speo
RE Developer

18 Nov 2021

Europa's Spectral Filter alters the frequency content of the wavetable that is used to synthesize audio. That's why the LP and HP on there can have infinitely steep slopes: it just cuts the harmonics in the frequency domain and FFTs back to time domain before generating the output audio.
moofi wrote:
18 Nov 2021
Speo wrote:
18 Nov 2021

moofi

18 Nov 2021

How does it alter the wavetable though if not by filtering in a classic sense?
Speo wrote:
18 Nov 2021
Europa's Spectral Filter alters the frequency content of the wavetable that is used to synthesize audio. That's why the LP and HP on there can have infinitely steep slopes: it just cuts the harmonics in the frequency domain and FFTs back to time domain before generating the output audio.
moofi wrote:
18 Nov 2021

Speo
RE Developer

19 Nov 2021

The wavetables have to be stored in the frequency domain to enable this kind of filtering and anti-aliasing. So instead of say a 2048 samples long wave cycle, they store 1024 amplitudes and phases corresponding to the constituent harmonics of the wavetable. These can be manipulated and then transformed back to a wave cycle by FFT.
moofi wrote:
18 Nov 2021
Speo wrote:
18 Nov 2021

moofi

19 Nov 2021

Though I don´t know how the "(amplitude) and phases corresponding to the constituent harmonics of the wavetable" bit works, I at least got a rudimentary idea of the principle, thank you. :-)
Speo wrote:
19 Nov 2021
The wavetables have to be stored in the frequency domain to enable this kind of filtering and anti-aliasing. So instead of say a 2048 samples long wave cycle, they store 1024 amplitudes and phases corresponding to the constituent harmonics of the wavetable. These can be manipulated and then transformed back to a wave cycle by FFT.
moofi wrote:
18 Nov 2021

Speo
RE Developer

19 Nov 2021

I didn't manage to phrase it well haha. You can basically think of the frequency domain as what you see in a spectrum analyzer with some extra bits. Anyway thank you for your interest in Strive!
moofi wrote:
19 Nov 2021
Though I don´t know how the "(amplitude) and phases corresponding to the constituent harmonics of the wavetable" bit works, I at least got a rudimentary idea of the principle, thank you. :-)
Speo wrote:
19 Nov 2021

• Information