Do you prefer REs or VSTs?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

Do you prefer REs or VSTs?

REs all the time if possible.
52%
REs but I buy the VST if no RE available and I must have it.
33%
VSTs over REs.
15%

Total votes: 121
Proboscis

22 Sep 2021

gullum wrote:
21 Sep 2021
I see :thumbs_up: for me I mainly make guitar music so only need the tuner for my guitar or bass but I can see for midi tuning is just isn't enough
Imagine then, having a 3u tuner RE with four displays sitting at the top your rack.

A guitar and a bass both plugged in, you pick one up, and boom, tuner. The tuner also works when the track is playing back.

And it's pretty fast and responsive (this is the GVST GTune I'm talking about).

And the the other two are monitoring your piano, organ, synth, whatever, while they play back. Admittedly there are display devices like this in RE format for MIDI

It would be pretty cool.

turn2on
RE Developer

22 Sep 2021

We have tuner RE in work. Usually 2 displays enough to control guitar and bass, but if you interesting in 4.. May be ))

Arrant
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2021

I like the RE concept in theory too. There are unfortunately very few REs out there that are anywhere near the quality of the top VSTs, so I voted VST just because of that. Also while I don’t like the extra clicks to open up the VST interfaces, I do like that (most of them) can be resized and aren’t stuck in the tiny rack.
It is my belief that REs are dead, sadly. Too few top developers came on board, and too many of them have since pulled out. I think it was the graphics limitations more than anything that made it too hard to port VSTs, and of course the limited user base compared to the VST market.

arqui

25 Sep 2021

Sorry I can't vote because none of the answers represent what I feel. I like the two options, I use Reason, Studio One and Maschine, I never tried RRp inside maschine (I don't know if it can).
I think Re and VST coexist in harmony, but my opinion may not be relevant because I don't use CV a lot, just to play with LFOs and subtle touches.
Celebrate so much when Reason 11.3.9 fixed the sidechain entry in vst.
I continue and I will continue to buy Re, if something appears in the store that is useful for me, and I will continue to buy what I see useful in vst.
Cheers
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

WarStar

25 Sep 2021

I prefer VSTs but I still buy REs that are interesting, and on sale lol as someone said already REs, feature wise, seem more pricey to me compared to VSTs.. and I don't mind VST installs, no biggy to me.. very rarely do I need to move a dll to a vst folder.. but I still use plenty of REs I just prefer the huge breadth of the VST world.. I will say as far as synths go, I almost use REs and native synths exclusively..

cocoazenith

26 Sep 2021

In theory I like the RE concept better. In practice I find myself using only VSTs.

Social Exodus

26 Sep 2021

I do the same as the OP myself, just because they work so well inside of Reason as compared to VSTs. In many cases. I have both formats so I can use the products in Reaper or Cakewalk as well.

Actually, it amazes me just how much I am into these things being merely a hobbyist lol. More money than talent I guess.
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

andyhsong

26 Sep 2021

im RE all the way. i dont use vst's at all, actually.

Kalm

27 Sep 2021

As long as I am in Reason I want the RE. Less floating windows, faster navigation, reorganization seems easier between like devices, less prone to crashing, and synchronicity across the platform when having to redownload stuff
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Skullture

30 Sep 2021

RE any day, except the 500EUR RE from Softube :D You can have that one.

LaudusDeWire

02 Oct 2021

For years I preferred RE. But since I bought Dune 3 and control the external Pro 3 with a VST plugin, that has changed.

So now I prefer instruments as VST and the little helpers as RE 😎

(And to be honest, the high resolution of R12 brought back the fun of some RE synth to me 👍🏽)
Soundcloud

:reason: R12 | 🎹 Sequential Pro 3 | 🥁 Arturia Drum Brute Impact | 🎛 Synapse Dune 3

dioxide

02 Oct 2021

REs only for actual music making. I’m an Apple user and Apple like to do an asteroid style extinction every 10 or so years which means lots of VSTs die. The future proof aspect of REs is important to me. I’m still playing older material live and I wouldn’t be able to do this if I was a VST user.

jamesa

03 Oct 2021

I don't own any VSTs (even free ones). I find my life is simple if I just use REs. I like the shop. I like how I can re-sync them, etc. I can use PX7 forever even though it is discontinued. This is amazing. They were all hi-dpi compatible. This is amazing. RE is a really great technology. Since Reason 12 was released I've started to use the Reason DAW again as opposed to just the RRP. I can load up my Reason 1.0 songs into R12 and they sound the same. This is amazing. Reason is an incredible piece of software if you think of it. Hi-DPI is blowing my mind. The devices look so tasty.

Greg Savage

04 Oct 2021

Third-party plugins for me. I haven't found any good REs when it comes to instruments and when they are present, they are cut-down versions of the Real thing: Project Sam, RoB Papen etc

I do like some of the production tools though. I feel Reason has always been on top of their game there
Music Composer/Sound Designer
Music Licensing - Credits

DJMaytag

07 Oct 2021

I bought Obsession RE over the VST. I will never buy the Korg RE's over the VST's, because 1:1 ports that offer nothing extra on the back for CV/audio connectivity... absolutely suck. If you're going to port a VST to RE, EXTEND ITS FUCNTIONALITY OR GTFO.

Greg Savage

07 Oct 2021

DJMaytag wrote:
07 Oct 2021
If you're going to port a VST to RE, EXTEND ITS FUCNTIONALITY OR GTFO.
Yep, exactly!. :clap:
Music Composer/Sound Designer
Music Licensing - Credits

ab459

10 Oct 2021

I like both format identically, no prefer. The only thing, (as it was right mentioned about Korg RE's) - when Re's provide more big functionality thru back panel, then RE can be purchased despite vst variant owning.
So, there is no sense in Korg re's (in case if you use not only Reason as DAW resp)
UPD or rather in any case (since Reason support VST) :puf_bigsmile:

• Information