Do you prefer REs or VSTs?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

Do you prefer REs or VSTs?

REs all the time if possible.
52%
REs but I buy the VST if no RE available and I must have it.
33%
VSTs over REs.
15%

Total votes: 121
altron

21 Sep 2021

So whenever I arrive at the Reason Studios Store page the first thing I do is to tick the box for showing REs only. I'm one of the users who would buy a RE anytime over a VST because of the format, the backside/patch ins/outs, and the general solidness of REs over VSTs. I never bought a single VST in the RS shop (but I did buy a few VSTs on developer's own websites I see useful such as True Iron, Waldorf PGG Wave, Zebra, Diva, Omnisphere, Youlean Loudness Meter, etc.)

I know that I will stick to Reason , no matter what so REs are it for me. Just recently I trialed Studio One and I'm not sold on it. Used Cubase, Live, ProTools before, years ago. Not sold! I will die with Reason in my hands so REs are always my preference.

What's your preference and why? Please vote the poll! :-)
Trap is where music goes to die.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Sep 2021

Option for ”format doesn’t matter”. I personally couldn’t care less as long as the plugin works.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Noise
Competition Winner

21 Sep 2021

I usually prefer to grab a RE just for the flexibility of viewing the controls without popping out a new window.
But my go-to utilities / eq / comp are from Rack Extensions.
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

Jackjackdaw

21 Sep 2021

I like both. It's not often what I want is available as both anyway. Decimort 2 and Kuassa stuff I got as Re.

esselfortium

21 Sep 2021

I tend to prefer REs for effects and synths for quick editing in the rack, and VST for sampled instruments because of better handling of RAM and disk streaming, ability to edit instruments in Kontakt, etc.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

huggermugger

21 Sep 2021

I prefer VSTs. I like the VST shell (though a lot of others don't seem to), and with VST/AU/AAX I can use the plugin in other programs.

Jackjackdaw

21 Sep 2021

I like the VST shell as well. Great way to organise devices. Its a real shame the RRP doesn't support them.

ortxedys

21 Sep 2021

Yep. I'm one of the few weirdos that prefers the convenience of RE's. Though it seems this is where we come and congregate from the looks of it. I still own several VST's. But the majority of it is in the rack. There's a lot of potential in having all your plugins in one spot rather than from a bunch of different vendors. I think Reason Studios needs to lean into that a bit. But I do feel we need better quality instruments ala Friktion.

Melody303

21 Sep 2021

RE's, by far. I only own one VST effect.
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

guitfnky

21 Sep 2021

this question is getting tougher and tougher to answer over time. initially I was firmly in the RE column, but now that they’re making VSTs more relevant (not just in Reason the DAW), their value becomes less and less. and not for the reason you might think.

really it comes down to what’s on offer. there are only so many compressors, EQs, reverbs, synths, crazy effects and the like that one can have and still feel compelled to buy more. I’ve reached that saturation point, so the kinds of new tools I want/need have changed. now I need stuff like mastering tools and audio restoration tools, and that sort of thing. the niche areas are underrepresented in REs, and the creative stuff is generally more of the same. the only truly useful/innovative stuff (to me) that’s come out in the last year or so has come from RS, I’m sad to say.

so I agree with MrFigg—doesn’t matter as long as it works, but add the caveat that it also needs to fill a gap. that’s the part that means I end up reaching more and more for VSTs.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

joeyluck

21 Sep 2021

I couldn't tell a real difference between option 1 and 2.

I buy REs all the time if possible...and VSTs if no RE exists.

avasopht
Competition Winner

21 Sep 2021

REs can be used in RRP and have the option of offering much more inputs and outputs along with CV.

If it can be an RE and take advantage of the rack there's no question about it.

If it makes no difference, then VST.

Plus I'm not always in Reason.

integerpoet

21 Sep 2021

I know I am a broken record on this, but I am constantly aware that the biggest barrier between me and joy is myself.

So when others complained about lack of access to the florid universe of VST (or, these days, VST3), I kinda yawn.

And I definitely don't need to be constantly learning how to jump through a new set of anti-piracy hoops for each VST developer.

I prefer the stability and integration of RE and I frankly wish the energy RS put into VST had been invested elsewhere.

The only value VST brings to me is to help ensure the health of RS by satisfying others who crave VST.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Sep 2021

REs as much as possible for me.
The onlyc occasional VSTs I use is some Ozone stuff for mastering purposes. I mainly use the multiband compressor and the exciter. But honestly I don't like really working with VSTs.

MattLeschuck

21 Sep 2021

I almost never use RE's anymore outside of a couple synths (Antidote and Europa) and Selig Gain. I much prefer VSTs.

MarkTarlton

21 Sep 2021

It depends, some RE's aren't ported to VST, some VST's have midi out which doesn't work in Reason as well as VST3. The other thing is pricing, I have noticed it can cost less with VST probably because Reason takes a 30% cut on sales from the developer. As far as how they perform RE's have CV integration which can be fun, but if we are just talking generally I'd probably side with VST because it's more universal across platforms. If I only used Reason I might be RE biased.

gullum

21 Sep 2021

I buy RE or not at all the only VST I know of installed on my computer is Reason RRP

Steedus
Competition Winner

21 Sep 2021

These days… VSTs. If ekss made VST versions I’d get them before the REs everytime.

It’s probably due to the small number of devs actually supporting the format these days but I feel like REs are just there for Reason hardcore enthusiasts who require CV. I find VSTs more exciting and creative.

Faastwalker

21 Sep 2021

Over many years of playing around with this stuff and using countless different DAW’s I’ve only ever used a handful of VST’s. I’ve bought very few, used a bunch of free ones and/or built in devices or hardware. Never been a huge fan. I’ve always found them a bit clunky in use and don’t mention the installation, which for some has been a complete PITA.

Rack Extensions in comparison. I’ve bought shit loads! Their integration in Reason is beyond sublime, in use and installation. As the, sadly long since departed Dave Spiers said in the RE launch video, ‘it’s so brilliant it’s borderline genius’. He was right about that! Sadly though RE seems to have become the Beta Max of plug-ins. Shame.

Proboscis

21 Sep 2021

Rack Extensions here, without a doubt. They feel very integrated, and the back-panel breakouts are what makes the format great. If I want to split out audio to a second iteration, the visual

The one-stop-shop licensing and installation is a brilliant execution too. That looks to be an even better user experience with the introduction of Companion.

I was reminded last week when trying out another DAW how much of a pain it is to find VSTs, look for install instructions (do I need a reg. key, do I drop DLLs somewhere, do I go to the shop of origin to find instructions...it's very inconsistent) makes me appreciate REs even more. Although last time I said this on the forum, someone suggested I was stupid and computer illiterate. Not so, I just adore the convenience.

The floating window concept of VST is something I don't enjoy either. With an RE, I know exactly where to find a device - it's precisely where I put it in the first place.

I also don't need the latest and greatest Serum, Omnisphere or whatever. The virtual mountain of stock Reason devices (we are very spoiled for choice) and the RE's I've collected are more than enough to keep me occupied for... well forever. More VSTs (or REs for that matter) isn't going to make my shitty music any less shitty.

So amongst all the criticism lately, of which I'm also responsible for), this thread serves as a good reminder of how the Reason/Rack Extension universe is an awesome concept.

Proboscis

21 Sep 2021

Although there is one single VST that's almost always in my rack, and that's a tuner. Reason really needs to have a rack tuner.

dvdrtldg

21 Sep 2021

In theory prefer REs, they sit in the rack better and it's easier to hook them up to CV signals. Fewer programming steps, faster workflow

In practice, I'm maybe 50/50 as there are just so many shitty REs and so many excellent VST options

gullum

21 Sep 2021

Proboscis wrote:
21 Sep 2021
Although there is one single VST that's almost always in my rack, and that's a tuner. Reason really needs to have a rack tuner.
can't you use the big meter tuner in reason ? on Mac you can open with Comand+F3 or from the Windows menu

Proboscis

21 Sep 2021

gullum wrote:
21 Sep 2021
can't you use the big meter tuner in reason ? on Mac you can open with Comand+F3 or from the Windows menu
It's great for you to mention this - a thread from earlier this year suggested that many people don't know about the in-built tuner.

I do though. I can also launch that window straight from a button on my audio interface.

And for me, it's very limited. One source at a time only, also it loses focus when trying to tune a MIDI clips/notes with automation.

No big deal, the $0 and problem-free GVST G-Tune does the job - it would just be nice to have the equivalent in Rack Extension format. If I designed a RE like this, I would even make it multi-IN with individual displays, so sit at the top of the rack as a master tuner for various audio sources.

gullum

21 Sep 2021

Proboscis wrote:
21 Sep 2021
gullum wrote:
21 Sep 2021
It's great for you to mention this - a thread from earlier this year suggested that many people don't know about the in-built tuner.

I do though. I can also launch that window straight from a button on my audio interface.

And for me, it's very limited. One source at a time only, also it loses focus when trying to tune a MIDI clips/notes with automation.

No big deal, the $0 and problem-free GVST G-Tune does the job - it would just be nice to have the equivalent in Rack Extension format. If I designed a RE like this, I would even make it multi-IN with individual displays, so sit at the top of the rack as a master tuner for various audio sources.
I see :thumbs_up: for me I mainly make guitar music so only need the tuner for my guitar or bass but I can see for midi tuning is just isn't enough

• Information