Kilohearts suspended their RE efforts indefinitely

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Loque

20 Sep 2021

I just asked them if they would like to provide at least a few Combinator skins for their VSTs snap ins which are not ported to RE format. The answer is disappointing, but not that much surprising:
...we (Kilohearts) have suspended our RE efforts indefinitely.
Reason12, Win10

reusenoise

20 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
20 Sep 2021
I just asked them if they would like to provide at least a few Combinator skins for their VSTs snap ins which are not ported to RE format. The answer is disappointing, but not that much surprising:
...we (Kilohearts) have suspended our RE efforts indefinitely.
Another nail in the RE coffin :|

RoryM0

20 Sep 2021

This is a shame. How many active 3rd party devs are left? I haven't heard anything from Blamsoft in a while, are they gone too?

orthodox
RE Developer

20 Sep 2021

reusenoise wrote:
20 Sep 2021
Loque wrote:
20 Sep 2021
There is no shared RE coffin as I see it. Every RE developer has their private coffin.

Loque

20 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
20 Sep 2021
:lol: Yes, that meme says everything if you still think they will come back :-D

Thats really sad and bad. Their VSTs look like sh!t, but the RE fit perfectly. And i take their RE first all the time.

Would be interesting to know "why", but i think the answer is clear: Money and effort counts!
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
20 Sep 2021
This is a shame. How many active 3rd party devs are left? I haven't heard anything from Blamsoft in a while, are they gone too?
Just had a look. Since May there’s been at least 16 devs active. That’s a good few.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

nickb523
RE Developer

20 Sep 2021

MrFigg wrote:
20 Sep 2021

Just had a look. Since May there’s been at least 16 devs active. That’s a good few.
Are you counting 16 devs making new stuff or just supporting existing products? - I'd imagine most of us will be supporting products and patching out bugs but there surely isn't 16 devs putting out new stuff since May?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2021

nickb523 wrote:
20 Sep 2021
MrFigg wrote:
20 Sep 2021

Are you counting 16 devs making new stuff or just supporting existing products? - I'd imagine most of us will be supporting products and patching out bugs but there surely isn't 16 devs putting out new stuff since May?
Ekss
Omino
Skrock
TonicMint
Turn2on
Bassgrid
Pink Noise
You?
Haaswerk
Synapse (updated obsession)
DNA
Panda
Static Cling (latch update)
Retouch control (I think)
Oh yeah…and Orthodox (can’t remember what he’s called)
Kuassa

That’s the ones I saw when I checked 3minutes ago.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

nickb523
RE Developer

20 Sep 2021

MrFigg wrote:
20 Sep 2021

Although I and others have done updates I wouldn't really consider that "active" per se. If you have products available on the shop then you pretty much have an obligation to patch any issues that crop up. New products and feature updates is what I would consider active.

BumCuddle

20 Sep 2021

I guess you have to take into consideration the last few years and the disruptions to all businesses, priorities change, people leave, shake ups occur.
Developers will exit the RE market, new ones will enter..as long as we get good devices I'm not that bothered who makes them, the only worry is support for already created ones. If the worst comes to the worst we still have future VSTs and excellent home grown REs to use. I mean look at the likes of Europa, Grain, Friktion and Algoritm, all super devices. I may not sometimes agree with RS and the directions it takes but they do still create some gems.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2021

nickb523 wrote:
20 Sep 2021
MrFigg wrote:
20 Sep 2021

Although I and others have done updates I wouldn't really consider that "active" per se. If you have products available on the shop then you pretty much have an obligation to patch any issues that crop up. New products and feature updates is what I would consider active.
The updates I mentioned were feature updates. All the other devs or at least the majority of them have new stuff. Maia Matrix, Lancaster, CV tools, wahs, verbs, synths etc. I could go and list them all but I’ve got the cold and am feeling dizzy

…oh yeah. Red Rock
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

nickb523
RE Developer

20 Sep 2021

MrFigg wrote:
20 Sep 2021

The updates I mentioned were feature updates. All the other devs or at least the majority of them have new stuff. Maia Matrix, Lancaster, CV tools, wahs, verbs, synths etc. I could go and list them all but I’ve got the cold and am feeling dizzy

…oh yeah. Red Rock
Yeah there is more than I thought actually. I've missed many releases entirely due to the barrage of Turn2on, Ekss and various update bumps. RS could probably do with making a bigger "what's new?" section so it's less likely for stuff to get buried.

joeyluck

20 Sep 2021

nickb523 wrote:
20 Sep 2021
MrFigg wrote:
20 Sep 2021

…oh yeah. Red Rock
Yeah there is more than I thought actually. I've missed many releases entirely due to the barrage of Turn2on, Ekss and various update bumps. RS could probably do with making a bigger "what's new?" section so it's less likely for stuff to get buried.
By "barrage" do you mean "active" 😂

Having a hard time with your definition of active. Synapse, who released an update to Obsession is active IMO. I don't think devs need to be constantly releasing new things to be active. People don't have the same expectations in the VST format. The day Synapse releases a new plugin as VST only, that could've been a RE, I might consider them inactive in the RE format.

nickb523
RE Developer

20 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
20 Sep 2021

Having a hard time with your definition of active. Synapse, who released an update to Obsession is active IMO. I don't think devs need to be constantly releasing new things to be active.
I said -
nickb523 wrote:New products and feature updates is what I would consider active.
The Obsession update was a feature update. Not a general bug fix, high res update or other minor thing.

So, if there was nothing happening on the shop bar minor updates to existing devices over a 12 month period then you would consider that a healthy marketplace? Surely not? It needs regular new stuff from different developers to be considered "healthy" IMHO.

turn2on
RE Developer

20 Sep 2021

Bad news but I think they back later with new products to RE.

Users not needs in only new products. Products must be actual, supported, and have if possible new additions.
Currently some devs have problem releases that have assertion error after HighRes.. devs not have SDK with support of HighRes to test own RE. Just trying to rebuild and check.

Currently I think some devs that time ago prepare new RE can waiting now newer SDK for highres support tests.
We was been ready to release RE at summer but project on hold by graphic side (based on some active skins)

So at near time we can find new updates of High res in the shop, and this is OK.
But users also interesting - in new functional updates.
If user have RE, he interesting in updates for stabile work, actual graphic and new futures.
Shop is a one massive place for all devs. It’s not the place for war for the place in shop.
And I few years ago talk that Shop must show special sections for totally new products, section for new updates.. it’s like a real passive promo for devs
Shop must work as marketing place for ANY dev and product.
Section with “random product” of the day or generative for every new visit - can make promo for any, new or old product.
Sometimes users can find that skip interesting product release. It’s problem of the shop and not problem of developer.

Updates - is the way to have actual products.

dvdrtldg

21 Sep 2021

reusenoise wrote:
20 Sep 2021
If I had 10c for every time someone has predicted the death of REs, I'd be Jeff fucking Bezos

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

21 Sep 2021

reusenoise wrote:
20 Sep 2021
The issue is almost certainly to do with the SDK.
A few SDK positive revisions and the problem goes away.

MattLeschuck

21 Sep 2021

Kilohearts is one of, if not my favorite plugin developer. That said i never use the RE versions of any of their snap ins and much prefer the VSTs. Scalable and the ability to use Snap Heap and Multipass is what its all about for me. Im really looking forward to their 2.0 release which should be soon.

Im not surprised the RE plugin development was suspended.

challism

24 Sep 2021

MrFigg wrote:
20 Sep 2021
nickb523 wrote:
20 Sep 2021

Ekss
Omino
Skrock
TonicMint
Turn2on
Bassgrid
Pink Noise
You?
Haaswerk
Synapse (updated obsession)
DNA
Panda
Static Cling (latch update)
Retouch control (I think)
Oh yeah…and Orthodox (can’t remember what he’s called)
Kuassa

Not to mention the REs that are still in beta testing, which can't be discussed.
Also missing from this list:
LoveOne just released a new RE (Photon).
Speo recently updated a synth (Tribute)... new filter in the shop.
RedRocks (2 new EQs in the shop now)
BHK Samples recently updated their filter with a MAJOR overhaul (ParafilterIII).
Englightenspeed is constantly updating their REs.
Murf continues to give us free REs.
Pongasoft created a new thread taking ideas for his next RE... just built a new 1:12 audio switch RE.
I know of at least 4 new REs that are on the verge of hitting the shop.
I know of some other REs that are in the alpha stage.

Sure, the heyday of REs has sadly passed, but to say it's dead is highly insulting to the developers who are still pumping out quality products.

And as Enlightenspeed/Brian stated, a major reason many devs have left is because of SDK limitation. Once Reason updates the SDK, I would guess we would see some new life breathed back into the RE market, although I would bet it will never reach the peak activity levels we saw in the past.
joeyluck wrote:
20 Sep 2021
nickb523 wrote:
20 Sep 2021

By "barrage" do you mean "active" 😂
ha ha ha... good one, Joey!
Barrage - a vigorous or rapid outpouring or projection of many things at once.
Sounds like activity to me. Turn2On and Ekssperimental Sound have certainly been active; the two most active devs in the shop. Love them or hate them... one can't deny they are active.

Good-natured ribbing aside, I agree with you about the shop, Nick... RS should give their shop page a big overhaul. I'm not sure why there is a limit of FOUR in the "newly released" category. And EIGHT in the "recommended" category; THREE, of which, are taken by R12 itself. I also question the practice of giving an updated RE "newly released" status.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Ironaak

24 Sep 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
20 Sep 2021
Blamsoft website seems to be down https://blamsoft.com/
Attachments
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (25.47 KiB) Viewed 1945 times

RoryM0

24 Sep 2021

Ironaak wrote:
24 Sep 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
20 Sep 2021
Oh man.

EdGrip

24 Sep 2021

eXpanse was such a big effort, that was immediately undermined by the release of Europa. Let's just be glad we got VK-2, eXpanse and Zero. I think eXode has spoken a little about all this in the past here.

joeyluck

24 Sep 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
24 Sep 2021
Ironaak wrote:
24 Sep 2021

Oh man.
It looks like the website was overtaken by spam. Wordpress can be pretty vulnerable. It became the "Blamsoft online drug shop."

Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 8.43.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 8.43.04 AM.png (82.68 KiB) Viewed 1824 times

• Information