Mimic + Ghammy = a match made in heaven!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Gardinski

25 Aug 2021

Woohoo... I just made a fantastic discovery that suddenly makes Mimic a lot more CPU efficient in Advanced mode.

As many of you will have noticed, CPU usage spikes significantly in Advanced Stretch Mode whenever you go up a few octaves from the root note. As I tend to pirouette all over the place in my super-twiddly solos, I was forever running into the dreaded CRUNCHING sound as the processor got overloaded by a million highpitched stretches per minute.

it seemed like there were only two solutions: (1)cut out the progtastic noodling (much as various more tasteful collaborators have been begging me to do for years - so THAT'S not gonna happen), or (2) eschew the use of Advanced mode altogether (but that would be boring).

Suddenly it hit me! If you stick Turn2On's beautiful GHAMMY pitchshifter into Mimic, you can seamlessly shift the output up by two octaves above where you could safely play, without suffering any awful CPU stutters. By keeping your actual playing to within an octave or two of the root, you should avoid any processing glitches, and Ghammy seems so well optimised that your machine should suffer no further burden.

It sounds BEAUTIFUL on certain patches, with the 'Watery Telecaster' preset sounding especially lovely when pitchshifted in this way.

Obviously none of the Midi transposers (the Players etc) would work so well, because the heavy lifting work would still have to be done within Mimic itself.

If you haven't tried Ghammy, then give it a trial. It really shines here, and I suspect a lot of non-guitarists might have overlooked it upon launch.

(Apologies if this was all blatantly obvious to everyone else, but I've been having such a good time experimenting with samples that it took me two weeks to even think of trying it.)

challism

25 Aug 2021

I have both... will have to try this out. Thanks for sharing. BTW, how great is Ghammy, right?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Faastwalker

25 Aug 2021

………… Runs off to the hidden shop to see what the hell ‘Ghammy’ is after long since losing track of the relentless Turn2on output. Interesting. So it’s good is it? Another one to the TRY list. Any other recommendations for Turn2on RE’s? I do tend to skip over them purely on the basis of how fast they tend to appear! It’s hard to keep up with this devs devices.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... h-shifter/

Gardinski

25 Aug 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
25 Aug 2021
Any other recommendations for Turn2on RE’s? I do tend to skip over them purely on the basis of how fast they tend to appear! It’s hard to keep up with this devs devices.

In answer to Faastwalker's question about other Turn2On REs:

'HolyVerb' is beautiful. I had skipped over it for a while, because I felt I already had enough reverbs. (How many do you really need?) However, there is something really special about this one.

Interestingly, to my ears, the 'Reasonator' (which I trialed and liked, but didn't buy) seems to be sort of embedded within HolyVerb. I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure you can replicate the Reasonator effect to at least 90 percent accuracy simply by using the 'DECAY' setting on Holyverb. (It's a few months since I tested them side by side, but I think if you turn EVERYTHING ELSE OFF on Holyverb (ie. the reverb & delay), leaving just Decay boosted, the resulting sound is roughly equivalent to 'Reasonator'. (I think I may have had to EQ it slightly too, to further enhance the similarity.) - NB: I'm not trying to put anyone off getting Reasonator - it's gorgeous, and it's a 'one step solution', whereas my method requires a bit more fiddling about. But personally, I've got all the resonance I need right now from Holyverb. It really is extraordinary value for money, especially for the price I paid in May, and in my opinion it blows away a lot of more expensive reverbs.

I also bought 'BlueDepth'. Whilst it's not as versatile as HolyVerb (imho), there are certain things that BlueDepth can do which no other reverb can (at least, not without a lot of messing about and additional add-ons). It's DEFINITELY not something I'd use on every patch. It feels like overkill for most purposes. However, if you want a pretty extreme and unique reverb, it really delivers. One of the first things I did with it was to play my EWI through it (using various Sax patches, including 'SWAM'). Oh... my... God... The resulting sound blew my mind. It was absolutely stunning (and I think I was using more or less the default patch). It added a whole unearthly GRAVITAS to my sax playing, which made it an absolute insta-buy for me. I cannot wait to take it into a theatre venue and play that sax through it. It's like nothing I could have imagined. Sheer orchestral magnificence from the bowels of Atlantis.

It also sounds wonderful on electric guitar... but due to the sheer sonic oomph of it, I'd tend to use it on slower, more majestic/stately pieces. Think Gilmour/Floyd... conjuring phenomenal depth and grace and almost pomposity. It's just wonderful, but needs to be used sparingly. You definitely wouldn't slap it on a quick funky thing, because it would just turn it into a mad, swirling soup tornado.

I haven't really tried many of Turn2On's other offerings yet, because as you said there are just so many of them, and I was trying to rein in my spending somewhat in May, having already spent quite a bit on a couple of big synths.

The WahWah pedal one sounded good, but I couldn't quite determine if it was going to offer me anything I really needed. I tend not to use Wah very often (if at all) in my guitar playing, but I may pick it up at the end of the year. (I believe Mr Figg thinks highly of it, and I trust his opinions.)

But to my mind, GHammy is the absolutely indispensable one. I can't think of any other RE that comes close to delivering such seamless and stylish pitchshifting. It's beautifully transparent and very nicely presented. Definitely one of my favourite REs of all time.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2021

Speaking as a guitarist I have to say that Turn2on effect REs are extremely cool. Unique. As well as the basic functionality there’s usually a whole load of unexpected experimental parameters built in. Back in the early days I found them quite hard to navigate because of the layout but now he’s been redoing his old GUIs which have become a pleasure to use. Much easier on the eyes which is good for my failing sight. That coupled with that he’s one of the developers who listen to the customers and adds features and does bug fixes extremely quickly. I wouldn’t mistake the amount of stuff in the shop as him churning them out with a lack of quality. I’d think more it’s because he’s passionate, loves music, loves making REs and works hard.
I don’t like when I hear the phrase “just try them” but in this case it’s hard not to say it. As Gardinski says, I really like the Wah. So many models. It’s the best one I’ve used in a DAW. Ghammy…awesome. Really. The reverbs especially Grail. A lot of the devices are based on guitar pedals so obviously I’m going to like them :). I haven’t tried them on much else but that said…just randomly pick a handful on a rainy weekend and try them. Then the next rainy weekend you can try a few more. And then when you become a pensioner you’ll have all the time in the world to try the rest. I don’t doubt you’ll find stuff you think is amazing.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

zoidkirb

26 Aug 2021

Is ghammy better sounding than 'drop n lift' also by turn2on?
I use drop n lift a lot. But my trial for ghammy was used up ages ago. Is it mainly just smooth/glide pitch shifting that's different?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
26 Aug 2021
I use drop n lift a lot. But my trial for ghammy was used up ages ago. Is it mainly just smooth/glide pitch shifting that's different?
The newer Digitech pedals have both units built in. Ghammy is capble of dropping and lifting but I think drop and lift does it cleaner. It also has some added effects not present in Ghammy.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

zoidkirb

26 Aug 2021

MrFigg wrote:
26 Aug 2021
zoidkirb wrote:
26 Aug 2021
The newer Digitech pedals have both units built in. Ghammy is capble of dropping and lifting but I think drop and lift does it cleaner. It also has some added effects not present in Ghammy.
Thanks man. Sounds like one day I'll end up grabbing ghammy too.

StephenHutchinson

26 Aug 2021

I'm wondering now if Polar might be able to do the same thing. Anyone thought of this yet? Will try it out later.
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2021

StephenHutchinson wrote:
26 Aug 2021
I'm wondering now if Polar might be able to do the same thing. Anyone thought of this yet? Will try it out later.
It can’t. Latency.

Seen this?

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... transpose/
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Gardinski

26 Aug 2021

MrFigg wrote:
26 Aug 2021

That's interesting. I've not tried Drop'n'Lift, because I assumed it would be redundant after Ghammy came out. But if it adds an extra layer of clarity (along with some other options), I should really check it out. (Thanks MrFigg.) :thumbs_up:

challism

26 Aug 2021

MrFigg wrote:
26 Aug 2021
StephenHutchinson wrote:
26 Aug 2021
It can’t. Latency.

Seen this?

Yeah, that Polar latency is pretty bad. :( Almost makes it unusable, in many cases.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

StephenHutchinson

17 Sep 2021

MrFigg wrote:
26 Aug 2021
StephenHutchinson wrote:
26 Aug 2021
It can’t. Latency.

Seen this?

Ah thanks, I've had that downloaded for awhile now. :puf_smile:
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

aeox
Competition Winner

17 Sep 2021

I do the same thing but with "Drop and Lift" by turn2on. Neptune works in a pinch as well.

Those processing glitches you speak of are actually a huge part of my sound design process with mimic. It can make some wild sounds with those glitches resampled over and over.

• Information