Anyone know what's going on with Pump RE/Sonic Bits?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Billy+

19 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
19 Aug 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
19 Aug 2021
Just tried the 3 methods (sweeper, synchronous). Pump still delivers the best sound, most flexible, hassle free results of all of these.
kHs Trance Gate does the trick for me.
Definitely a cool tool but definitely not a replacement for pump.

StephenHutchinson

19 Aug 2021

I have and love the Pump Re:. It's a shame I didn't download the manual when I had a chance. Found some information that might be useful for using Pump:

From Reddit:

"It's so that you can use the pump RE as a send effect correctly.

If you insert the pump RE into your send effects without turning on send mode, it will not give you the full ducking/pumping effect. Turning on send mode makes sure that the RE sends only the ducked/pumped output to your mixer, which is usually what you're after if you're using the RE as a send effect.

First, insert the pump RE into your send effects rack. If you're using the stock template, just right click on the echo tape delay RE, select insert effect and then pump/sidechain.

Then, on the pump RE, turn on send mode.

Next, go to your SSL mixer's send effect console (labeled FX) and you should see the sidechain show up in one of the free slots.

Turn on the FX send for the instruments that you want to pump/sidechain, and use the encoder to set the level of the effect.

I like to use the pump RE in send mode when I want several different tracks to have the same sidechain/pump effect, such as having a kick drum sidechain over my bass and arps.

Using the pump RE in send mode is also a very convinient way of getting sidechain compression without having to setup a compressor, keying it and then connecting it to all your mix channels. Much faster to throw the pump RE into the send effects and then turn it on per channel in the mixer.

Long story short, you wanna turn on send mode if your using the pump RE as a send effect in the reason mixer. Leave send mode off if you're using it as an insert on a track."

"Send mode outputs an inverted signal that when mixed with the original cancels out producing the "ducked" sound. This method makes sense when using the Pump as a send effect."
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
Sound Design & Music Content Creation
Sound Dimension :: https://www.sounddimension.io

joeyluck

19 Aug 2021

Billy+ wrote:
19 Aug 2021
joeyluck wrote:
19 Aug 2021

kHs Trance Gate does the trick for me.
I never used it. I do know it was no longer in the shop as far back as a year or two ago. Maybe even before that? People always seem to want the things they can no longer buy. Maybe Sidechain ReAction is more in line with Pump?

freshkidblaze

20 Aug 2021

Doesn't volume shaper do the same thing?

Ottostrom

20 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
19 Aug 2021
Billy+ wrote:
19 Aug 2021

I never used it. I do know it was no longer in the shop as far back as a year or two ago. Maybe even before that? People always seem to want the things they can no longer buy. Maybe Sidechain ReAction is more in line with Pump?
I bought Pump on November 24th 2020 so it can't have been gone for that long!
Really glad I did too cause I've used it in most projects since then :)

joeyluck

20 Aug 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
20 Aug 2021
joeyluck wrote:
19 Aug 2021

I bought Pump on November 24th 2020 so it can't have been gone for that long!
Really glad I did too cause I've used it in most projects since then :)
Oh hmmm I thought it was a while ago. I'm trying to find something on it... Can't find much. I found this on reddit saying, "it appears Sonicbits is no more" and that comment was made on April 3, 2020:

But then the last snapshot of it in Wayback Machine is from January 25, 2021 https://web.archive.org/web/20210125144 ... sion/pump/ 🤔 Either way, I guess it's less important when it left the shop.

PhillipOrdonez

20 Aug 2021

freshkidblaze wrote:
20 Aug 2021
Doesn't volume shaper do the same thing?
It is a volume shaper.

esselfortium

20 Aug 2021

It's a bizarre feeling to know that so many of the REs I rely on are no longer sold. RE-2A, Pump, Distillery...
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

chimp_spanner

20 Aug 2021

esselfortium wrote:
20 Aug 2021
It's a bizarre feeling to know that so many of the REs I rely on are no longer sold. RE-2A, Pump, Distillery...
I’m in a similar situation on iOS. Invested a lot of money into apps that have been withdrawn from the app store because they’ve lapsed into abandonment or the requirements have changed. I can still re-download them but it does make me feel uneasy that in theory, they could disappear one day.

Once I’ve moved and am settled into my studio I am going to start building a small but versatile collection of hardware instruments. Things that can’t be removed or taken away (unless someone steals them lol).

Billy+

20 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
19 Aug 2021
Billy+ wrote:
19 Aug 2021

Never tried REAction but yeah I to find it strange that there seems to be more interest after a product gets discontinued :lol:

Lucky I knew I wanted it pretty much when it was released so I got it way back just like I wanted PX7 and brought that to :thumbs_up:

BonsaiMacKay

20 Aug 2021

I wonder if there is any connection between the SonicBits that made this RE and the SonicBits that started releasing VST/AU last year. SonicBits is pretty obvious as a name though, like, even Dreadbox once had a delay going by that name, so it might just be a coincidence.

joeyluck

20 Aug 2021

BonsaiMacKay wrote:
20 Aug 2021
I wonder if there is any connection between the SonicBits that made this RE and the SonicBits that started releasing VST/AU last year. SonicBits is pretty obvious as a name though, like, even Dreadbox once had a delay going by that name, so it might just be a coincidence.
Maybe? Sonicbits.io was in Norway, Sonicbits.com is in Switzerland. Also it's curious that Pump or something like it as a VST wouldn't be a product...

BonsaiMacKay

20 Aug 2021

Yeah, they don't seem to be related. I did not even know about Pump RE before this thread, TBH, but when I read the name SonicBits, I started wondering.

MarkTarlton

20 Aug 2021

I contacted them and they are definitely not related, I think they didn't even realize there was another company with the same name until my email.

FatJ

20 Aug 2021

Pump is on almost everything I do.

ortxedys

20 Aug 2021

Pump is still something I use even as a RE. Shame they took it down. Another good alternative is Turn2On's Octopus Attack Gate Ducking Trigger:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... g-trigger/

Im surprised no one has mentioned it. It basically does what pump does plus it has an env follower. Making it more versatile imo.

eXode

21 Aug 2021

huggermugger wrote:
19 Aug 2021
Sweeper also works. Use a negative modulation amount on Volume. Sync it to the beat or trigger it as needed.
You don't need to use negative modulation on Volume in Sweeper because it then starts from 0 and works up to your volume setting. That way you don't have to think about inverting the envelope shape, WYSIWYG. Also, you can use audio trig in Sweeper to trigger it by incoming audio if you don't want to mess around with CV gates. I do prefer to use CV gate, just highlighting that it's possible. :)

rootwheel

21 Aug 2021

eXode wrote:
21 Aug 2021
huggermugger wrote:
19 Aug 2021
Sweeper also works. Use a negative modulation amount on Volume. Sync it to the beat or trigger it as needed.
You don't need to use negative modulation on Volume in Sweeper because it then starts from 0 and works up to your volume setting. That way you don't have to think about inverting the envelope shape, WYSIWYG. Also, you can use audio trig in Sweeper to trigger it by incoming audio if you don't want to mess around with CV gates. I do prefer to use CV gate, just highlighting that it's possible. :)
This is a wonderful tip, I hadn't even thought about using Sweeper triggered via incoming audio. I've always just used Synchronous or an MClass sidechained by a Redrum used only for the trigger - but it's great to have another alternative approach in the toolbox too.

Billy+

23 Aug 2021

Has anyone tried LFO Tool in Reason?

https://xferrecords.com/products/lfo-tool

IMG_2797.PNG
IMG_2797.PNG (100.89 KiB) Viewed 2631 times

Faastwalker

24 Aug 2021

I didn’t realise Pump was gone. I was thinking about buying it after being reminded of it in the Mimic video. It does look like a very no fuss tool for this specific task. Almost bought it before once or twice. Should have grabbed it. Too late now. Anyone want to sell me there’s?! 🤪

tomusurp

16 Feb 2022

Is there any way to get the Pump RE these days? I already have quite a bit of SC methods, but curious to use it considering the high praises in here
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/@usurptom
https://www.usurptom.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

jam-s

16 Feb 2022

Tomeo55 wrote:
16 Feb 2022
Is there any way to get the Pump RE these days? I already have quite a bit of SC methods, but curious to use it considering the high praises in here
No, there is no (legal) way to buy it any more.

rorystorm

16 Feb 2022

Turn2On's Octopus Attack is a good substitute, does similar stuff though you have to have a trigger (like a gate out from a Kong or Redrum) - has gate and ducking, both of which work really well, and also amusing graphics. Plus, though it takes a little cabling and programming, if you want to actually control the response curve of your faux sidechaining, Shape on one shot mode does an ok job. Again you have to trigger it off a gate out, and then cable it to the synth's master level. It's a little gammy - I just tried it out with a simple four to the floor beat kick and one bar long note on a subtractor, and it completely cut the first quarter of the bar. So takes a little bit of a tutu to get it working right.

It's a shame about Pump - I picked it up a long time ago and it's one of my top go tos.

crimsonwarlock

17 Feb 2022

Synchronous can do the same thing. I used that for that 'pump' effect before I got Pump during a sale. Pump is basically fast/easy to set up, where something like Synchronous takes a little more getting used to. Synchronous comes with a side chain preset to get you started, though.

Reasonistas SideChain ReAction also can do the same (and much more): https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... enveloper/
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

ravisoni

28 Mar 2022

Don't forget the OG way.

Also, tons of combinator presets in the sound bank.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

• Information