Selig ColoringEQ sequencer control

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Voyager

15 Jul 2021

Yesterday was experimenting the sequencer control and couldn't understand why the signal from the external source was feed into the eq everytime a note was played..I mean on one side i'm trying to dynamically cut with the eq but on the other side the eq allow the external signal to passing through.. So today i stumbled on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtjiv83Uh74&t=606s and we can see what i'm talking about from 6:33 to 6:37 when he hits the right keyboard. I a missing something ?

Another question, i don't think it is but can we reporduce what carve eq ducker is doing with the sequencer control ?

selig
RE Developer

15 Jul 2021

Happy to help but not sure I fully understand the question.

But to start, a quick review: Sequencer Control allows two things.
Note control allows you to control the Tune parameter from a MIDI keyboard or sequencer via CV. This CV data is merged with the front panel Tune slider, so if you want to be "in tune" with the incoming CV you should set the Tune slider to the default "64" (E3), or any other "E" note if you want to move up/down by octaves.
Gate control allows you to control the Gain parameter from the incoming Gate/Velocity value. This means you can dynamically control the amount of EQ by how hard you hit the note. This works for EQ boosts as well as cuts. How this works is that you set the Gain control to the MAX amount of cut or boost you want, which will be achieved when the Gate CV equals it's MAX level of 127. If for example you set the Gain to -24 and then click on the "Sequencer Control Gate" button (to "ON"), you will not hear the EQ cut until ColoringEQ receives a gate input. Plus, a gate of 127 will give you the full 24 dB cut, while a gate velocity of half that (64) will give you half of the cut, or a 12 dB cut.

Now that you understand how to control Tune and Gain from note data, and understanding that CV is monophonic so only works on one note at a time, theoretically speaking you could use audio to MIDI to create a note track that could be used to control a ColoringEQ to do tracking EQ effects like cutting (or boosting) a specific harmonic, cutting a specific frequency (based on the bass line) in a kick track (or vice versa, but with dynamics and no pitch tracking needed), or use it to play your own melodies to create 808 style sub bass lines from acoustic kick drums (using high Q and saturation), or turn percussion instruments into pitched instruments with the Comb Filter and Note Control (random sequences and arpeggiators are good sources for this), or for unique tremolo/rhythmic effects by using simple arpeggiator patterns to "gate" pads or other sustaining sources to add rhythm and pitch in real time.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information