New RE in the shop: Makeshift Design - Loudness Normalizer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
marcuswitt

15 Jun 2021

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ormalizer/

• Full-featured loudness meter
• Assisting in audio normalization
• Live signal meter, which supports the scales required by EBU R 128 standard.
• Automatic gain control based on the target limits set by user.
• Start/stop of statistics collection synchronized with the DAW sequencer transport, both in Reason and in the Reason Rack Plugin.
• Histogram plots for Momentary and Short-term Loudness, with color indication of relative gate, meter zero offset and target threshold.
• Measuring of plain VU(RMS) and Sample Peak in addition to Loudness and True Peak.
• True Peak measured with 0.01 dB accuracy.

PhillipOrdonez

15 Jun 2021

Nice looking device!

ohmygoff

15 Jun 2021

Is there a manual? I'm a bit confused where it meters and where it levels... what do the AGC assign buttons do, for example?

orthodox
RE Developer

15 Jun 2021

ohmygoff wrote:
15 Jun 2021
Is there a manual? I'm a bit confused where it meters and where it levels... what do the AGC assign buttons do, for example?
No manual, sorry.
The AGC buttons enable control of the Auto Gain arrow pointer by the corresponding Target parameter, i.e. when the statistic for that parameter exceeds the target value, the Auto Gain will react by trying to reduce the (recommended) gain so that the limit is not exceeded.
You can later set the Gain fader to that recommended value by clicking the ALIGN button.

Zac

15 Jun 2021

Quick question: if I set the true peak loudness to - 1.2db and the integrated LUFS to - 13db will this device automatically adjust the gain after the whole song has played so that the audio adheres to these limits? And if I were to check it with another meter would it be accurate?

If so this would be useful to me 👍

orthodox
RE Developer

15 Jun 2021

Zac wrote:
15 Jun 2021
Quick question: if I set the true peak loudness to - 1.2db and the integrated LUFS to - 13db will this device automatically adjust the gain after the whole song has played so that the audio adheres to these limits?
You will need to press the ALIGN button afterwards to set the gain, and disable statistics collection so it doesn't bother collecting it the second time when you export.
EDIT: There's a video describing this task.
Zac wrote:
15 Jun 2021
And if I were to check it with another meter would it be accurate?
This of course needs to be checked in each case, but I believe I measure it accurately as the standard requires. I've run all the tests and the results matched.

Zac

15 Jun 2021

orthodox wrote:
15 Jun 2021
Zac wrote:
15 Jun 2021
Quick question: if I set the true peak loudness to - 1.2db and the integrated LUFS to - 13db will this device automatically adjust the gain after the whole song has played so that the audio adheres to these limits?
You will need to press the ALIGN button afterwards to set the gain, and disable statistics collection so it doesn't bother collecting it the second time when you export.
EDIT: There's a video describing this task.
Zac wrote:
15 Jun 2021
And if I were to check it with another meter would it be accurate?
This of course needs to be checked in each case, but I believe I measure it accurately as the standard requires. I've run all the tests and the results matched.
Thanks, I'll give this a Try on my next song.

DJMaytag

11 Dec 2021

Very cool. Insta-buy.

I have some GUI suggestions for future updates though... there's enough room to put a larger meter on this thing, by shifting some of the text to the left of the meter over some more.

littlejam

11 Dec 2021

hello,

i grabbed this up, too
such a wonderful RE to see what's going on
and the standards levels is nice, too

it is interesting that the video of a loudness meter is silent
isn't it ironic, don't you think

cheers and eat well,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

orthodox
RE Developer

11 Dec 2021

DJMaytag wrote:
11 Dec 2021
I have some GUI suggestions for future updates though... there's enough room to put a larger meter on this thing, by shifting some of the text to the left of the meter over some more.
I thought about that, but I can't shift it to the left when the text is replaced by the histogram view.
littlejam wrote:
11 Dec 2021
it is interesting that the video of a loudness meter is silent
That prevents copyright strikes, and the audio doesn't matter here anyway
littlejam wrote:
11 Dec 2021
isn't it ironic, don't you think
...it's a free ride when you've already paid
it's the good advice that you just didn't take...

motuscott

11 Dec 2021

Looks great. This beast needs a manual though.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

orthodox
RE Developer

12 Dec 2021

motuscott wrote:
11 Dec 2021
Looks great. This beast needs a manual though.
Thanks. I'll try to write it.

DJMaytag

12 Dec 2021

orthodox wrote:
11 Dec 2021
I thought about that, but I can't shift it to the left when the text is replaced by the histogram view.
Ah, yeah… I see that now. I had that idea just from watching the video, but missed the histogram part. Something to consider for a future update, maybe making it 1 space taller to display more critical information like that?

ideaB2

12 Dec 2021

Thanks! A really useful utility. It is now always on the master.
I used to normalize files by volume/LUFS/TruePeak in SoundForge after export. Now immediately in Reason.
I think it would be convenient to add a true peal limiter to cut the peaks and normalize right away.

LN.png
LN.png (700.54 KiB) Viewed 1505 times

• Information