MIDBOOSTER (Turn2on Parametric Mid Range Booster)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
turn2on
RE Developer

11 Jun 2021

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... q-booster/

• Amplify and Warm any incoming signal
• Retain character of Overdrive / Distortion in mix
• Effective Mid Band Range Parametric EQ Booster
MIDBOOSTER is a modern parametric booster which allows adjuststment to be made to the midrange frequencies of an incoming signal using parametric tuning. It can be used in your mix to add new mid range frequencies or to cut out those which aren't required.
The device is useful for solving any problems with frequency balance e.g. if the sound of the signal is too muddy or muffled. Use MIDBOOSTER to amplify and warm any incoming signal.

The main feature of this effect is the parametric midrange equalizer.

MIDBOOSTER can be a used as a substitute for the guitar "Screamer" effect. Many distortion and "muff" effects pedals cut out a lot of the frequencies in the midrange. If two guitars in the band are playing at the same time, the midrange frequencies fight with each other which results in them almost not being heard at all. In this scenario, use of a midrange booster will help you retain the character of your favorite overdrives and distortions in the mix.

In some cases when a signal processed through effects has a fat midrange it can sound unnatural. 

With MIDBOOSTER, you can remove redundant frequencies and enjoy a perfect signal as never before!

Remember, this device is not not just a booster or gain effect, this is a parametric frequency booster. MIDBOOSTER can create completely new tones for your incoming signals, enhancing the character of the signal texture by adding more tone colours and a little extra mid range saturation.

Classic distortion effects are usually limited to High/ Low frequency control with loss of the mid range. Having additional control of the midrange makes it possible to achieve new and richer sounds with your distortion, overdrive or fuzz effects.

The Bandwidth Octave Selection control morphs the frequency sweeping control through the softer/wider peaks to the sharper/steeper peaks in a clockwise direction.

MIDBOOSTER sounds fantastic on overdriven heavy amps and pedals, drums, rhythms and loops. When paired with an overdrive or distortion effect your signal will immediately become clearer and more powerful.

MIDBOOSTER is guaranteed to help improve the sound of your signal.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... q-booster/

friday

11 Jun 2021

Nice GUI, will try... maybe it can help me to controll the low mids of my basslines?!

challism

11 Jun 2021

friday wrote:
11 Jun 2021
Nice GUI, will try... maybe it can help me to controll the low mids of my basslines?!
I take it Lemmy isn't your bassline muse.

Turn2On's GUI has gotten very good lately. All the older devices that have been redone are looking really nice, as are the new devices. This looks great!
Turn2On is definitely the developer with the most improved GUI in recent times. Great work here.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

integerpoet

12 Jun 2021

I'm no marketing expert, but I assume you have a very few moments to convince someone to listen to your whole story.

If that's the case, then it seems to me all the marketing for this should start with "no this is not just an EQ and no this is not just a phaser".

As it stands, I had to work harder than you probably wanted before I discovered there might actually be something interesting going on.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2021

integerpoet wrote:
12 Jun 2021
I'm no marketing expert, but I assume you have a very few moments to convince someone to listen to your whole story.

If that's the case, then it seems to me all the marketing for this should start with "no this is not just an EQ and no this is not just a phaser".

As it stands, I had to work harder than you probably wanted before I discovered there might actually be something interesting going on.

First sentence in the description...
"MIDBOOSTER is a modern parametric booster which allows adjuststment to be made to the midrange frequencies of an incoming signal using parametric tuning."

And then a reminder in the 5th paragraph
"Remember, this device is not not just a booster or gain effect, this is a parametric frequency booster."

Pretty much says what it is.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

integerpoet

12 Jun 2021

MrFigg wrote:
12 Jun 2021
integerpoet wrote:
12 Jun 2021

First sentence in the description...
"MIDBOOSTER is a modern parametric booster which allows adjuststment to be made to the midrange frequencies of an incoming signal using parametric tuning."

And then a reminder in the 5th paragraph
"Remember, this device is not not just a booster or gain effect, this is a parametric frequency booster."

Pretty much says what it is.
OK, so this is on me. I didn't know "parametric booster" is a term of art, but it apparently is.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22para ... booster%22

challism

12 Jun 2021

integerpoet wrote:
12 Jun 2021
MrFigg wrote:
12 Jun 2021
OK, so this is on me. I didn't know "parametric booster" is a term of art, but it apparently is.

I'm going to parametrically boost this post. Bump!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2021

challism wrote:
12 Jun 2021
integerpoet wrote:
12 Jun 2021

I'm going to parametrically boost this post. Bump!
All threads are bump threads.
Bump.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

VHS

12 Jun 2021

It is a 1 band parametric EQ with fixed frequencies. This makes sense from a hardware perspective when you can't magically put an EQ anywhere in the signal chain, but makes zero sense in software where you can. I can't find any other software that says its a "parametric booster" which makes sense if I understand correctly, but I didn't really look super hard. I am not a guitarist and I love being wrong if anyone would like to enlighten me.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2021

VHS wrote:
12 Jun 2021
It is a 1 band parametric EQ with fixed frequencies. This makes sense from a hardware perspective when you can't magically put an EQ anywhere in the signal chain, but makes zero sense in software where you can. I can't find any other software that says its a "parametric booster" which makes sense if I understand correctly, but I didn't really look super hard. I am not a guitarist and I love being wrong if anyone would like to enlighten me.
I am a guitarist and I love this RE. On its own on a dry guitar it can make the sound rounder and warmer very easily. Fuzzes and distortions for the most part sound either extremely sharp or extremely muddy. This boosts the mids and brings out the whole sound. I like it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

12 Jun 2021

MrFigg wrote:
I love this RE... I like it.
Which one is it? Love it or like it? ;)

It does seem like a useful specialty/niche RE to bring out guitar range frequecies with minimal fuss.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2021

challism wrote:
12 Jun 2021
MrFigg wrote:
I love this RE... I like it.

It does seem like a useful specialty/niche RE to bring out guitar range frequecies with minimal fuss.
You do know it’s possible to do both at the same time right? :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

turn2on
RE Developer

13 Jun 2021

The star of device is idea of mid range booster.
MRB (mid range boost) was been used in 1960th in Vox guitar amps to add 3 freq mid range frequency boost modes.

500/700 and 900 Hz historically as mid range boost. Second channel add Top boost.
From the MRB modes switches was been created WahWah effect idea.

But mid range frequency is a very musical part of this signal frequency. It’s very cool for guitar, vocal and voices, synths too!!!
Boosting of the mid range can create extra saturation. The character that usually is placed out of the mix, can be fixed on the upper plan, it’s totally change sound character, increase artefacts to the creative sounding effect that adds mew structures.
I’m personally find it useful in classic electronic sequences as very powerful unit. For guitar of course too.
MIDBOOSTER have low mid, mid, higher mids and presence, to work not only with guitar, but many kinds of signals.

Device can create real sound storm for signals that already using some distortion, overdrive or fuzz. Any signal.
Mid Booster make new FX quality for Over/Disr/Fuzz effects, that never can sound in the mid range (this effects eating mids).
MidBooster - real helper for amping and fattening easy overdriven sounds.
For me personally after creating of MidBooster, this is must have additional control of mids on pair with distortion/od sounds.

The easiest way to test, check it on the TB303 sounds, that can have small distortion, crazy results of mid range boost.

It’s not just 1band EQ, and not just a clean level booster. It’s real pair for control needed frequency boosting. Results much more faster and sounds interesting, easiest than to use traditional EQ with gain control.
Wide mid range frequencies control help to work with all mid range when this needed.

Make total changes for Fuzz/Od/Dist effects, and can be used in the role of Screamer. Useful for synthesised sounds.

Parametric EQ going from the guitar world, but not from pedal EQ limitation, boost or cut selected mid range. Tricks from hardware world.
Last edited by turn2on on 13 Jun 2021, edited 1 time in total.

aeox
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2021

challism wrote:
11 Jun 2021
friday wrote:
11 Jun 2021

Turn2On's GUI has gotten very good lately. All the older devices that have been redone are looking really nice, as are the new devices. This looks great!
Turn2On is definitely the developer with the most improved GUI in recent times. Great work here.
:thumbs_up:

What a difference it makes!

challism

13 Jun 2021

aeox wrote:
13 Jun 2021
challism wrote:
11 Jun 2021

:thumbs_up:

What a difference it makes!
Amazing how much of a difference GUI makes. Kind of silly, but it does.
MrFigg wrote:
13 Jun 2021
challism wrote:
12 Jun 2021

You do know it’s possible to do both at the same time right? :)
My reptilian brain does not compute.

turn2on
RE Developer

18 Jun 2021

friday wrote:
11 Jun 2021
Currently you can control only upper part of LowerMids, because device limited to the lower freq at 400 Hz, but really low mids is a 250-500 Hz.

So, I can announce now, that device must be updated at near time, and include additonal Freq Range modes, to control selected special bands for any practice needs. :thumbup:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2021

turn2on wrote:
18 Jun 2021
friday wrote:
11 Jun 2021
Currently you can control only upper part of LowerMids, because device limited to the lower freq at 400 Hz, but really low mids is a 250-500 Hz.

So, I can announce now, that device must be updated at near time, and include additonal Freq Range modes, to control selected special bands for any practice needs. :thumbup:
Awesome!!!!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

18 Jun 2021

turn2on wrote:
18 Jun 2021
friday wrote:
11 Jun 2021

That's great. It will open this device up to a wider range of uses.

Curious how you plan on implementing this new lower mid feature. Seems like a switch would be a useful thing for this, to keep the new device from affecting any older projects or patches; when switched to one position the device will only affect the original frequency range (as it is now, upper mids), and when it is switched to the other position, the device will open up the (newly added) lower mids.

turn2on
RE Developer

18 Jun 2021

Yes, current mode is a default. There coming new additional modes and user can switch between them.

deigm

18 Jun 2021

So it's not an eq? What is a parametric booster?

guitfnky

18 Jun 2021

deigm wrote:
18 Jun 2021
So it's not an eq? What is a parametric booster?
yeah, it's an EQ. I guess it also can add a little saturation, but the bottom line is it's just an EQ, with a volume gain boost to drive the input of other plugins (typically amp sims). I'm sure it sounds good, but nothing that can't be done easily with other devices (Scream4 alone should let you do this). interesting thought to put it into a single purpose device, but doesn't fill much of a need really, IMO.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

turn2on
RE Developer

18 Jun 2021

This is a pair EQ/Boost with micro dist/saturation levels to make selected freq range sounding better.
Perfect for opening to the top the small hidden textures of signal.
Muffs/Fuzz/Dist/Overdrive/Sat effects (it doesn't matter how good they are), you realy can have new sound character that not been possible before from them.

Scream4 is more about destruction unit (that cutting mids). And your example more like a "Screamer" mode with 0-127 range control with trialing to mids compensation with -64+63 value in EQ section. But its not the same in work process.
Scream4 "Screamer" mode is more like a "BP filter with high resonance + gain" solution.

Parametric boosters coming from guitar amps world. To boost mid range for new character by selecting midrange.
You can look at this as a 1-band EQ, yes. But this is more soundshaping booster unit.

New upcoming update, creates real cold medical scalpel to edit freq range, for boosting / amping / opening the textures of signal.

guitfnky

18 Jun 2021

of course Scream4 and this are different devices and will give different results. just strictly speaking, you can do much the same with them (i.e. mid EQ + gain boost [really just a volume knob] + saturation).

not sure where the idea that Scream4 cuts the mids comes from—it can be every bit as honky as you could want, between the 3 band graphic EQ and the tone shaping at the lower right of the device.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

turn2on
RE Developer

18 Jun 2021

I try to said any guitar destruction effect eats the mids. It’s classic.
Scream4 have various destruction effects and them eat mids.
The mode Sreamer in Scream4, is a bandpass filter with higher resonance value + gain. It’s not the same, May be near.. and it have on board possibilities to set mids compensation. But only with value range without Hz info.
Yes, you can build own effect using EQ with band width, gain, saturation, and visual controlling of Hz value..
we can build with Reason devices many interesting things.
This is a ready option to have nice sounding mid booster based on the one very popular guitar pedal.

MidBooster helps to set needed value in Hz accuracy, as one band, warming the signal and digging any small unreadable textures from it to the front. Actual for amped guitar, districted leads, drums, etc.
Mids are cool.
But just waiting update.
Last edited by turn2on on 18 Jun 2021, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2021

All I can add here is that it warms up my guitar easy and quick and I like the sound. Good enough for me. My fuzzes have been too fuzzy and my muffs too muddy up until now.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information