Ekssperimental Sounds: TAPEFUNK M10 RE released

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
challism

01 Apr 2024

I think you could also use Robotic Bean TS-1 Time Slider to solve the problem. I use this invaluable RE all the time. It's an absolute MUST HAVE. I use it with Polar, for instance. Just throw it at the end of my chain containing Polar and slide it forward.. removes all the horrible latency Polar introduces. It's also great for perfectly adjusting each track into its "pocket".

I believe TS-1 is one of the most underrated REs in the shop, for whatever reason. And it's on sale right now.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/reas ... TimeSlider
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

crimsonwarlock

01 Apr 2024

challism wrote:
01 Apr 2024
I think you could also use Robotic Bean TS-1 Time Slider to solve the problem.
I think so, too. But TS-1 offsets in milliseconds, while sample-delay offsets in samples (obviously :puf_bigsmile: ). But more importantly, sample-delay lets you measure the latency of the RE you want to compensate for, so it takes the guesswork out of it.

I just bought TS-1 this sale, but mainly to tighten up recorded performances.

Just for completeness, sample-delay is here: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ple-delay/
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

ekss
RE Developer

02 Apr 2024

I've been looking into a report latency-function today. It should be possible but is quite tricky and has it's drawbacks. Each tape model brings it's own amount of latency. Along with the upcoming wobble feature it is also constantly varying (when wobble depth > 0) which makes it tricky to implement, dev support suggest setting a fixed value that drifts from the actual latency, but this will sound crap most of the time.

Before going into the scripts and edit code I decided to do some testing with VMG-01 Sample Delay and it seems next to impossible to get a good sounding result. By compensating with the precise measured latency it sounds pretty bad when parallel processing - not like a smooth dry/wet control so to say.
It can sound OK by adjusting the sample delay by ear – still some phasing and comb filter like effects will be present, unless you get it exactly right, which isn't easy. So there seem to be no precise formula that can be implemented by code, at least that I can find now - so Tapefunk will have to stay as it is regarding latency for now.

I'd like to think of it as an actual tape; the audio it's either on the tape or not and if you play the tape alongside another unprocessed copy it will behave pretty much like it does now. If you like to compensate the micro delay caused by latency I'd recommend Robotic Beans Time Slider or VMG sample Delay:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... me-slider/ (0.01ms accuracy)
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ple-delay/. (1 sample accuracy)

I'm doing final testing of version 1.1.0 this week, the new features will be:
  • Patch saving
  • Wobble Depth
  • Wobble Rate
  • Hiss Drive
  • Curve (EQ/Tape style)
  • Compression Threshold
  • Tube Drive offset
The update will be free =)

Ottostrom

02 Apr 2024

ekss wrote:
02 Apr 2024
  • Patch saving
  • Wobble Depth
  • Wobble Rate
  • Hiss Drive
  • Curve (EQ/Tape style)
  • Compression Threshold
  • Tube Drive offset
Sounds like a great update for this device!
Kinda sad now that I didn't pick it up during the sale :oops:

dvdrtldg

02 Apr 2024

Ottostrom wrote:
02 Apr 2024
ekss wrote:
02 Apr 2024
  • Patch saving
  • Wobble Depth
  • Wobble Rate
  • Hiss Drive
  • Curve (EQ/Tape style)
  • Compression Threshold
  • Tube Drive offset
Yep as soon as I saw it was being updated I jumped on it. Loving it, and about to love it even more

Steedus
Competition Winner

02 Apr 2024

That sounds incredible! Thanks for the update. I don't suppose you have much choice with updates now, didn't RS mandate that they have to be free at some point? I suppose you would have to release a v2.0 as a new RE? While I like and appreciate free updates (ofcourse!), a significant update like this I'd be happy to pay a bit for.

ekss
RE Developer

02 Apr 2024

Steedus wrote:
02 Apr 2024
That sounds incredible! Thanks for the update. I don't suppose you have much choice with updates now, didn't RS mandate that they have to be free at some point? I suppose you would have to release a v2.0 as a new RE? While I like and appreciate free updates (ofcourse!), a significant update like this I'd be happy to pay a bit for.
I haven't looked into it, I know it was possible to set an upgrade price earlier but maybe not anymore . This update has been in the plans for a long time, happy to provide it free :)

Theo.M

03 Apr 2024

ekss wrote:
02 Apr 2024
I've been looking into a report latency-function today. It should be possible but is quite tricky and has it's drawbacks. Each tape model brings it's own amount of latency. Along with the upcoming wobble feature it is also constantly varying (when wobble depth > 0) which makes it tricky to implement, dev support suggest setting a fixed value that drifts from the actual latency, but this will sound crap most of the time.

Before going into the scripts and edit code I decided to do some testing with VMG-01 Sample Delay and it seems next to impossible to get a good sounding result. By compensating with the precise measured latency it sounds pretty bad when parallel processing - not like a smooth dry/wet control so to say.
It can sound OK by adjusting the sample delay by ear – still some phasing and comb filter like effects will be present, unless you get it exactly right, which isn't easy. So there seem to be no precise formula that can be implemented by code, at least that I can find now - so Tapefunk will have to stay as it is regarding latency for now.

I'd like to think of it as an actual tape; the audio it's either on the tape or not and if you play the tape alongside another unprocessed copy it will behave pretty much like it does now. If you like to compensate the micro delay caused by latency I'd recommend Robotic Beans Time Slider or VMG sample Delay:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... me-slider/ (0.01ms accuracy)
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ple-delay/. (1 sample accuracy)

• Patch saving
  • Wobble Depth
  • Wobble Rate
  • Hiss Drive
  • Curve (EQ/Tape style)
  • Compression Threshold
  • Tube Drive offset
There are a lot of plugins out there with variable latency that update on the fly - honest. Worst that one might have to do is stop and start playback quickly in the DAW to re align.

Personally I am not willing to manually measure all the possible latencies and use manual sliders on every track, I left that workflow 20 years ago and have no desire to go back to it, however I do understand that this situation is new to you and I don't expect miracles overnight.

I did miss the sale this time but will re evaluate next time.

To all others who don't care about PDC, the tapefunk sounds absolutely excellent.

ekss
RE Developer

03 Apr 2024

Theo.M wrote:
03 Apr 2024

There are a lot of plugins out there with variable latency that update on the fly - honest.
Yes, but I bet those aren't REs build with IDT/GE...
If I could code C+/DSP it would be possible to do perfect reporting, but sadly I suck on code, that's why I'm using GE to build my stuff, even tho it has its limitations.
But, to ease the lack of compensation ;try the Sample Delay and measure the latency, I think it was 753 on 44.1khz, then try parallel processing with it, it sounds pretty bad, it would be the result if impelementing latency report and using on parallel processing - and I think it would make no one happy 😄

Theo.M

04 Apr 2024

The workarounds I have are as follow for people who own the plugin

1) You do NOT need a wet/dry on this plugin, as if you dial the input right back and just compensate with output for level, that's much better than a wet/dry, RS audiomatic sounds nothing like tape whatsoever - it can be a wonderful effect but that's what it is, an effect, not a tape simulation, so the wet/dry is more applicable in that case.

2) If you want to do parallel processing on particular sound with dynamics or EQ for example and have cloned the channel, and want tape on every channel, simply put tapefunk to the desired effect on one channel and on its clone add another instance of tapefunk with the same tape model which will match the delays, and just turn input to 0 and output to max on that instance and it will effectively be doing nothing to the sound.

3) If you just want to use it on busses, it shouldn't be an issue. Note the latency, though unreported, WILL affect real time monitoring on the channel it's on, so keep that in mind, it sounds like it will add at least 17ms.

4) I am going to continue using Slate VTM because it works perfectly in Reason and I was just trying to avoid VST if possible especially when Reason is in plugin mode as it can't use VST in that mode, but VTM reports its latency perfectly and for ME is an easier workflow and is equally light on CPU.

Experiment with the different tapes in tapefunk as it's an exceptional plugin sound wise. I decided next sale I will still buy it to use in rack mode but it's impossible for me to afford 60 USD right now (~100 AUD) so I have to wait, but I can assure you it sounds GREAT.

Kilsane

17 Apr 2024

Great update for this magnificent RE.

Added controls for:

Tighten Response
Wobble Depth
Wobble Speed
Hiss Drive
4 EQ Curves
Compression Threshold
Tube Drive
Patch Saving
Updated GUI to fit the new functions.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -recorder/

ekss
RE Developer

17 Apr 2024

Ottostrom wrote:
02 Apr 2024
ekss wrote:
02 Apr 2024
  • Patch saving
  • Wobble Depth
  • Wobble Rate
  • Hiss Drive
  • Curve (EQ/Tape style)
  • Compression Threshold
  • Tube Drive offset
The update is now available in the shop, and for those who missed it on the spring break sale there is an update offer (save 33%) just this week!
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -recorder/

Cheers!

Steedus
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2024

Fantastic update! Big thanks. Can I just confirm if this is normal (unavoidable), when adjusting the Tighten Response knob it basic has to reconfigure itself (goes glitchy while turning) ? No big deal, just wondering.

Edit: also, am I wrong, but I don't seem to be able to turn OFF the hiss.

selig
RE Developer

17 Apr 2024

Theo.M wrote:
04 Apr 2024
1) You do NOT need a wet/dry on this plugin, as if you dial the input right back and just compensate with output for level, that's much better than a wet/dry, RS audiomatic sounds nothing like tape whatsoever - it can be a wonderful effect but that's what it is, an effect, not a tape simulation, so the wet/dry is more applicable in that case.
To be fair, RS Tape IS a tape emulation, of an Ampex tape machine to be exact with 15IPS modeled at one end of the transform knob and 30IPS at the other. I disagree it sounds “nothing” like tape, but I’m bias as it is my work we’re talking about here! ;)
Plus, I would not recommend using dry/wet on ART Tape setting due to the phase issues caused by the filtering.

I’m with you on not needing a dry/wet control for any tape emulation effect. In fact, I was pushing for an input control (in addition to the output control) on ART so you can control the drive the effect to your liking – luckily they agreed and added it!
Selig Audio, LLC

ekss
RE Developer

17 Apr 2024

Steedus wrote:
17 Apr 2024
Fantastic update! Big thanks. Can I just confirm if this is normal (unavoidable), when adjusting the Tighten Response knob it basic has to reconfigure itself (goes glitchy while turning) ? No big deal, just wondering.

Yes it's normal - the IR has to "reload". This is also why it's not automatable.
You can turn the hiss OFF with the switch on the far right. The drive is like a multiplicator of the selected mode, off will still turn it off, while the other modes will increase by adding drive.

Steedus
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2024

ekss wrote:
17 Apr 2024
Steedus wrote:
17 Apr 2024

Yes it's normal - the IR has to "reload". This is also why it's not automatable.
You can turn the hiss OFF with the switch on the far right. The drive is like a multiplicator of the selected mode, off will still turn it off, while the other modes will increase by adding drive.
Yep no problem.

As for hiss, In my brief test, setting hiss to OFF didn’t turn it off. But I’ll check again tomorrow! Thanks again.

ekss
RE Developer

17 Apr 2024

Steedus wrote:
17 Apr 2024
ekss wrote:
17 Apr 2024

Yep no problem.

As for hiss, In my brief test, setting hiss to OFF didn’t turn it off. But I’ll check again tomorrow! Thanks again.
Please do, I checked here just now and could not get any hiss when set to off it - shouldn't be possible, if you managed to recreate it tomorrow let me know what/how you did it :)

joeyluck

17 Apr 2024

This is an awesome update! :clap:

under the hood.png
under the hood.png (239.78 KiB) Viewed 3492 times

The under the hood stuff is a little difficult to read at 100% zoom...maybe the text could be brightened a touch or you can add a light switch? :D
Although I kind of like that I have to zoom in to see what I'm doing when I open it up lol

I like the dirty/bad tape sound when adjusting the Tighten Response knob! I instinctively went to automate it, but looks like it's the only control that can't be automated. Is there a reason why? Now I'm wondering if that could be automated or if there could be a separate control for that sound :-)

ekss
RE Developer

17 Apr 2024

joeyluck wrote:
17 Apr 2024
This is an awesome update! :clap:

under the hood.png

The under the hood stuff is a little difficult to read at 100% zoom...maybe the text could be brightened a touch or you can add a light switch? :D
Although I kind of like that I have to zoom in to see what I'm doing when I open it up lol

I like the dirty/bad tape sound when adjusting the Tighten Response knob! I instinctively went to automate it, but looks like it's the only control that can't be automated. Is there a reason why? Now I'm wondering if that could be automated or if there could be a separate control for that sound :-)
Yeah, it's not automatable since it glitches the sound. If you still want to do it you could stick the Tapefunk in a combo and assign a knob to it and automate it that way:)

Maybe my screen is brighter, or the room darker, anyway I like that it's a bit of hidden, with a feeling of "should only be adjusted by licensed service personnel" 😄

joeyluck

17 Apr 2024

ekss wrote:
17 Apr 2024
Yeah, it's not automatable since it glitches the sound. If you still want to do it you could stick the Tapefunk in a combo and assign a knob to it and automate it that way:)
I didn't see Tighten Response available via combi assignment either
combi assignments.png
combi assignments.png (37.79 KiB) Viewed 3475 times
ekss wrote:
17 Apr 2024
Maybe my screen is brighter, or the room darker, anyway I like that it's a bit of hidden, with a feeling of "should only be adjusted by licensed service personnel" 😄
Hehe

service personnel.png
service personnel.png (329.78 KiB) Viewed 3475 times

ekss
RE Developer

17 Apr 2024

joeyluck wrote:
17 Apr 2024

Oh, sorry i just assumed it would be available there anyway. Maybe I'll make it available in a small update :)

joeyluck

17 Apr 2024

ekss wrote:
17 Apr 2024
joeyluck wrote:
17 Apr 2024

Oh, sorry i just assumed it would be available there anyway. Maybe I'll make it available in a small update :)
:thumbup:

rorystorm

17 Apr 2024

I just put this across the top of an early 70s style krautrock project I'm working on atm and its super tasty. Man that overdrive is fantastic.

ekss
RE Developer

17 Apr 2024

rorystorm wrote:
17 Apr 2024
I just put this across the top of an early 70s style krautrock project I'm working on atm and its super tasty. Man that overdrive is fantastic.
Sounds like a perfect match!
Do you post these krautrock projects online somewhere?

• Information