Algoritm or Resonans, which of them is the better deal?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
moalla

23 May 2021

I own a lot of the great RE synths (Parsec, Viking2, The Legend, Antidote, Expanse, Nostromo, PX7, Monopoly, Polysix, JPS Harmonic, FM$, Ivoks, Solar5, Kraft, KHS one, Aurora) in this reason universe.

Now i´m asking myself do i need extra synths, if the mass of decisions that i have in sound design is so big, i own also the cherry audio dco106 and ca2600 for the 80´s vibe and harsh techno drum sound.

So whats the big benefit of Resonans in comparison to my synth arsenal, that gives me this synth?
And whats the big deal with Algorithm, i listened to the sound examples wich are really nice, but what is apart of the modular design the big difference to PX7 or FM4 at the end?

So community ´i´m really long on the road with our beloved reason and now with 12cores in my machine reason is the unbeatable DAW for me, the only replacement at the end i´m really looking for is a alternative to waves Abbey Road Chambers, ideally as RE or VST without these flawing waves shell shit.
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

mjxl

24 May 2021

Well, since you have FM4 and PX7, It'd be Resonans.. Algoritm is also cool.

None of the others are physical modeling synths though, right?

Billy+

24 May 2021

Well Resonand is %50 off during the sale and Algorithm is %30 off so if it's a saving your after then I'm sure it is an easy choice. But their two different devices.

What one would serve your requirements best?

Kuranes2021

24 May 2021

Maybe you should try something completely different - you could try FRIKTION. I own all of the Synth you mentioned, but the one I had the most fun with in recent months definitely was FRIKTION. You can do awesome acoustic basslines with it, if you connect it with a dual-arpeggiator (but only use one of the two arpeggiators) and amplify it with for example the bass-rigs in Native Instruments "Guitar-Rig". But that is just my opinion :-)

Billy+

24 May 2021

Yeah Friktion is excellent, I got it when it first went on sale and didn't trial it at all but as I just grabbed it I wasn't ready to play about with it and it took me a few months before I used it and was amazed at how it sounded. Definitely worth buying.

bidaar

25 May 2021

moalla wrote:
23 May 2021
I own a lot of the great RE synths (Parsec, Viking2, The Legend, Antidote, Expanse, Nostromo, PX7, Monopoly, Polysix, JPS Harmonic, FM$, Ivoks, Solar5, Kraft, KHS one, Aurora) in this reason universe.

Now i´m asking myself do i need extra synths, if the mass of decisions that i have in sound design is so big, i own also the cherry audio dco106 and ca2600 for the 80´s vibe and harsh techno drum sound.

So whats the big benefit of Resonans in comparison to my synth arsenal, that gives me this synth?
And whats the big deal with Algorithm, i listened to the sound examples wich are really nice, but what is apart of the modular design the big difference to PX7 or FM4 at the end?

So community ´i´m really long on the road with our beloved reason and now with 12cores in my machine reason is the unbeatable DAW for me, the only replacement at the end i´m really looking for is a alternative to waves Abbey Road Chambers, ideally as RE or VST without these flawing waves shell shit.
I been trying to decide between these exact two synths too !!!
I trialed resonans before its amazing ! And sound different from most Synths or any synth .
In the other hand algoritm is crazy too with great gui great sound design possibilities and many more ..
I've been trying to decide between these two for the past week , not sure yet
Reason 11 Suite l FL Studio l Leaning Ableton n Bitwig l Windows 10 64bit
Trying and Learning to be a : Hip-Hop / Trap , Electronic & Experimental Producer l Mixing Engineer

Gardinski

25 May 2021

They're both great synths. Resonans has a character all of its own, and produces sounds which you'd be hard pressed to create with anything else. However, in some ways I'd say it's more limited than Algoritm. That's definitely not a criticism of Resonans. It's a beautiful and unique synth. (In an ideal world, you'd get both, but I appreciate that's not really answering your question.)

I should confess that I've not used Algoritm much yet, having only bought it a week ago, but I get the impression that it's going to be extremely versatile. Resonans is always going to sound like Resonans. Algoritm could conceivably produce an extremely wide array of sounds. (I'd be tempted to say 'unlimited', but let's not get carried away. I mean, you probably couldn't reproduce the sound of a flatulent donkey exploding in a sea of liquorice... but would you really want to?)

Algoritm arguably has a steeper learning curve, but it's a fun & fascinating experience. One thing to bear in mind is that if you're even thinking about switching to the R+ subscription any time, then buying Algoritm now would represent poorer value as you'd effectively have paid for it unnecessarily.

Regarding your question about the difference between Algoritm and PX7/FM4... It's FAR more user-friendly than PX7, and I find it much more rewarding from a sonic POV. It's huge fun to tinker with, whereas I found PX7 a chore. Algoritm seems to make more intuitive sense, whilst PX7 was an exercise in frustration (for me, anyway). I never used FM4 apart from a very brief trial, so can't comment about that.

As others have stated, Resonans is a physical modelling synth, (as is Friktion). Personally, if I were choosing between the three, I'd probably go for Friktion first, as it's an absolutely unparalleled synth in my opinion... but once again, the sounds you can create in Resonans cannot be reproduced in Friktion, and vice versa... So it depends what specific sonic characteristics you need for your music, and only you can determine that.

But honestly, whichever you decide to buy, you'll be getting a top notch instrument. Algoritm, Resonans and Friktion are among the finest REs available, IMHO, and you won't be disappointed with any of them.

client6

25 May 2021

I have all of them also. The one I was most excited about when it came out was Friktion. The one I use the most and that is the most fun to play with and go down sound design rabbit holes is Algoritm.

I feel Algoritm is the most versatile and really good at lead or subtle atmospheric sounds. If you are wanting to recreate stringed instruments Friktion is great and Resonans does that to a degree too. I think I haven’t become as advanced with Resonans as the other two yet so my opinion is a bit skewed. Part of the reason for that though is the UIs of Friktion and Algoritm are just really fun and (mostly) intuitive to experiment with.

All are capable of very unique sounds and Ive made numerous songs featuring each as the centerpiece just while experimenting. There isn’t really a bad choice.

moalla

27 May 2021

Thanks for your thoughts, Friktion isn‘t interessting for me of its sound capabilities and Resonans is nice but Parsec with a resonator effect, or audiothing texture effect it gives me more oppurtinitys in sound design.
That‘s my feeling, so for my music style and notion in electro-punk-techno-ambient-RnB strings are not really needed.

So i thought Resonans has more options, or the soundexamples in the net are awful, i will give it a trial in next time.
Nice regards People
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

epoch

28 May 2021

moalla wrote:
23 May 2021

I think Algoritm is a stronger synth than Resonans. It has more versatility, it's more fun to play with and it looks much nicer too. It's completely different than PX7 really.

• Information