Bassgrid - Filter X1

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
praznovsky.m
Competition Winner

21 May 2021

I found this in shop. Looks good, I need to try it.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... filter-x1/

chaosroyale

25 May 2021

Something like this should have been the Native Reason update to the ECF-42*. Much more useful in the rack than Sweeper.

If the Dev is reading this - one feature you might add for v1.2 : a button to toggle between serial mode and parallel mode. Right now I assume its serial. You also might want to add an old-school transistor or diode ladder style filter for more flavor, but I guess you went with uncolored "perfect" filters? That's actually good - they are more useful in most situations (and Sweeper doesn't have any which is just unbelievable).

Anyway, great UI, and exactly the kind of hands-on rack-friendly device that makes Reason good.

*assuming the filters sound good, which they probably do.

EdGrip

25 May 2021

I suppose they figure you can just use sweeper to sweep an SSL EQ device if you want clean, and you have the full gamut of options there.

chaosroyale

25 May 2021

Maybe you are thinking of something else? The SSL EQ device does not have resonant LP, HP, Band pass or Comb filters.

The only "clean" Filter in Reason, as far as I know, is the old ECF-42, which sounds great if you don't move it, but is very steppy when sweeping (due to the limitations of when it was made, and it has never been upgraded).
A good standalone filter is one of the most important devices in any modular rack, so it's very disappointing that Reason doesn't have an up-to-date one. Pulverizer is about the best compromise for filtering in the Rack, but it can't go completely clean and is still a little steppy. The filters in Sweeper are much more fine-grained when automating, which is good, but the drive sounds absolutely horrible to me, and they have no transparent modes which is a deal-breaker.
EdGrip wrote:
25 May 2021
I suppose they figure you can just use sweeper to sweep an SSL EQ device if you want clean, and you have the full gamut of options there.

EdGrip

25 May 2021

Ahhh, of course - I forgot the HP and LP aren't resonant in the SSL.

strangers
Competition Winner

26 May 2021

Demoing this now and so far liking it. Surprised it's not part of May Madness like their other RE's.

praznovsky.m
Competition Winner

26 May 2021

strangers wrote:
26 May 2021
Demoing this now and so far liking it. Surprised it's not part of May Madness like their other RE's.
I think it's not on sale because it's fresh new device.

dvdrtldg

26 May 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
25 May 2021
great UI
Oh my god are you kidding. That thing is hideous

killhamster

27 May 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
26 May 2021
chaosroyale wrote:
25 May 2021
great UI
lol yeah everything by this developer looks like it was created under the influence of one too many monster energy drinks :lol:

dvdrtldg

27 May 2021

Major "Friday night at the local go kart track" vibes

I dunno, I don't want to be too sniffy, maybe it's an awesome filter and if others like it, that's great

chaosroyale

27 May 2021

oh, aesthetically, it's ugly as hell, I agree! looks like a gaming PC or something.

But the layout and usability looks top-notch. Very hands-on, not much wasted space, everything laid out simply and logically. Compare that to the horrible UI for (again) Sweeper, with all the dead space, and mismatched semi-hidden flat elements.

killhamster wrote:
27 May 2021
dvdrtldg wrote:
26 May 2021

lol yeah everything by this developer looks like it was created under the influence of one too many monster energy drinks :lol:

dvdrtldg

28 May 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
27 May 2021
the horrible UI for (again) Sweeper, with all the dead space, and mismatched semi-hidden flat elements.
I like Sweeper's UI. The "dead space" to me is a nice change from all those cramped, fiddly devices. Colours are great, it just looks clean & modern and I don't mind the flat/3D combination

The "classic Reason" devices on the other hand - Master Bus Compressor, Channel Dynamics and Channel EQ - look a bit bare to me. Like they're not quite finished

• Information